Monday, November 3, 2008

Vote!


The conversation I had with my 12 year old today in the car was interesting. He said, "All of my friends are saying this is the most important election ever." First of all, I was surprised that his friends are discussing politics in any sense at all. He is primarily schooled through an online, virtual academy and I haven't seen any political stuff coming through that, so it was just a little intriguing to me. We discussed this election and whether or not it is truly "the most important ever". My opinion is that it is not. I believe that it is a critical election, a historical election, and only time will tell whether or not it will deserve the title of the most important election ever.

To witness and participate in the selection of a new "landmark" presidential duo is amazing. This year we will either elect a black man, or a white woman, to serve in roles that have been held by white men since 1789. This makes this election a powerful statement within our own nation.

My father-in-law, 2 brothers-in-law, and 3 nephews have all served in the armed forces to protect the freedoms we so enjoy. One of my nephews was almost killed on several occasions, he saved many of his comrades' lives, and earned the bronze star for Valor, for his service. One of those freedoms he worked so hard to protect is the right to vote. Whether or not you feel your vote matters, whether or not you "love" the candidate who most closely represents your ideals (and there may not be one that comes as close as you wish), whether or not you are "cancelling out" your friend's, spouse's, or sibling's vote; go to the polls and vote. Be a part of this nation, be active, be a participant and vote. You will feel good about it. You will be doing your part. You will be making your voice heard.

And a nice little bonus is that you can get the little sticker that reads, "I Voted". I love that sticker, I wear it all day long with pride. Vote, you know you want to.

14 comments:

Robin said...

I voted last week. I had to wait in line for 1.5 hours. It was the first time I have ever had to wait more than a few minutes. I know there were people in line voting differently than me, and I don't care. I just want everyone to vote.

You are right Kristen, whoever you vote for, it is a big deal. You can tell your children about it later.

Emily said...

I think Joe and I will go to the polls together with the kids and take turns voting. I remember mom taking me with her when she voted, and when I turned 18 and felt a little weird voting, I sort of had an idea of what it was like from going with mom. I think it is a great thing to teach your children and let them see you do it too.

Sally said...

Thanks for the reminder, KK! Not that I could possibly forget. This election has been the most divisive I've ever experienced and I can't wait for it to be over. I'm very curious to see who wins what and I'm looking forward to casting my vote tomorrow.

And most of all, looking forward to the campaigning being OVER!

davers said...

He he he ... I just got done with a post on my blog telling people to not tell me to vote.

;)

Actually (and was apparent at the end of my blog) I promote intelligent voting, but at this stage of the game it would be a challenge for someone who's not studied the issues and candidates in as independent of a manner possible, but still it can be done.

I find it fascinating why people think this is the most important election ever, and I'm not so sure I agree, but if I do it's for different reasons than so many others believe.

For me the reason it's so important has nothing to do with a black or woman leader in the executive offices. Instead it has to do with what appears to be a likely super majority in congress and the executive at a time when the balance of the supreme court judges will be up for grabs, in combination with some domestic global events and circumstances that are extremely volatile and disturbing and on the cusp of some revolutionary changes with very long lasting effects.

Kristen said...

Well spoken David. Now go vote! :)

I'm glad I have such intelligent siblings!

Melissa said...

I have like 12 kids here today. Actually only 1 extra, but 2 babies is busier than 1.

Anyway, there are a few places that will give you free things if you go in with your I VOTED sticker. I'll find them out and post later.

:)
"My" blog about voting comes tomorrow. I ran into John and Barry recently and had a photo op. ;)

Linda Austin Hart said...

I'd tell davers to go vote but I'll go to his blog instead to tell him to do it.

abentee ballot is the best & easiest for me, but boohoo, you don't get a sticker

Linda Austin Hart said...

I'd tell davers to go vote but I'll go to his blog instead to tell him to do it.

abentee ballot is the best & easiest for me, but boohoo, you don't get a sticker

Linda Austin Hart said...

uhhhh.......I don't know why that posted twice (above)
BUT, since I'm still here, I'm expecting to see a little more levity on this bossy site. (I told all my friends that it was really funny)

Melissa said...

Just in case anybody cares. (or drinks coffee) Check out Starbucks, Krispee Kreme and Chickfila for freebies today :)

:( We don't live near any of those. Bummer today and Everyday!!

super said...

I voted! I always feel so good about voting, even if I don't like the candidates, at least I'm doing my civic duty.

Emily said...

So we did vote today, and guess what? I was the 100th voter in my pricinct! YAY! There were balloons and prizes and cash money and cupcakes! Just kidding. But I was the 100th voter, and that was at 8:30 AM, which is saying a lot because I live in a very small town, and most of my friends voted last week.

Emily said...

P.S. I'm predicting that whoever loses the election will cry foul, there will be a mandate for a recount, and there will be all kinds of stories of voter fraud with early voting and absentee ballots, etc.

For example: Joe is registered to vote here, but he still got an absentee ballot from CA--so, if he had wanted to, he could have voted in both places, and doubtfull that would have been detected. Of course he didn't. He voted here.

Melissa said...

When we got to our voting location, we didn't have to show ID or anything! Just tell them name and birthday (not year!) We even dug up my husbands passport for ID!

--LuLu