Dear Bossy Readers,
The Happy Diners

You haven't left many comments lately. We miss you. Are you okay? Have you recovered? Have you been busy these past few days? Do feel as though you've been hit, or sucked into, a hurricane? I do. But we've been slacking on the posts as well, and we beg your bossy forgiveness. I'm a little surprised more of you haven't bossed us around to get back to posting--but then I must assume you're busy bossing others around, don't have energy to boss us around, and that is why you come here to get bossed. Or something like that. At least, that is how it is for me. Anyway--WE'RE BACK! in full swing!
The Delectable Spread

This was our second Vegetarian Thanksgiving. Joe's extended family is vegetarian, it is always a pleasure visiting them. So, I thought that while some of you are vegetarian and this is nothing new, many of you are not--and cannot imagine Thanksgiving without a *turkey. Here is what it looked like:
*While I very much looked forward to this Thanksgiving, aware of the lack of turkey and feeling fine with that, I kept on looking forward to leftover sandwiches on Melissa's kNot Rolls (recipe here), with cranberry jelly and turkey---wait---it didn't hit me: no turkey=no leftover turkey sandwiches on kNot rolls w/cranberry sauce. Waaaah...
P.S. If you want any recipes--speak up! For example, the keynote vegetarian dish was a gourmet mushroom and tofu casserole (as in the french word casserole-- say it with a french accent!) with a delicate savory mushroom sauce, topped with real mashed potatoes. Merci, Uncle Doug!
21 comments:
Here's a comment- your Thanksgiving sounds horrible. Gourmet casserole? Good thing you'll never have to invite me!
Joe's family is so cool. I would totally trade turkey to hang out with them. The fruity looking dish on the top looks delish. What is it?
Are you going to make your own turkey when you get home so you can have turkey for a week and get sick of it until your next Vegetarian Thanksgiving?
Why aren't you coming here sooner for Christmas?
NO TURKEY!! You all should be tarred and feathered.... with turkey feathers! No left over sandwiches, now that makes me cry. I'm sorry, but this idea of a vegetarian Thanksgiving is just NOT what the pilgrims and their friends the Indians had in mind I am afraid. I'll Fed-EX you a bird next year.... or at least a picture of one. lol
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
No Turkey? Good thing the Holiday's are about spending time with family and friends. Maybe next year though, you could sneak turkey in in your pockets. Maybe? No? I would.
Your inlaws are a bunch of communists.
I'm impressed whenever you talk about Joe's extended family. They live off the grid, help you fix up your home, and eat organic. I bet they take their own shopping bags to the store too.
Didn't one of them almost get Joe to be a nudest for a while? That is what I want pictures of next year...the nude thanksgiving. I bet we would get lots of hits and comments on that post!
Boo hoo. I would be so sad without a turkey. You are much nicer than me. I would have brought my own turkey and infested their vegetarian home.
It was a delicious Thanksgiving, and I LOVED the casserole. So the rest of you (most of you commenters) I understand your feelings, except that now that I've had both Thanksgivings I can say, this one was FANTASTIC! I loved it. ;-)
Joe's family pretty much ups my cool factor to about a factor of 100.
Sally, the "fruity" looking dish on top was really good--fresh organic yams, beets (not from a can), red onions, tossed with olive oil, a little salt and fresh rosemary leaves, and roasted. YUMMY. I would like to eat some right now.
Really, when I say Merci Uncle Doug, I should be including EVERYONE who hosted us! What a wonderful weekend we had. I can't wait to go back!
xoxo LOVE YOU JOE'S FAMILY! (You are not communists, and only sometimes nudists!) ;-)
Yeah, Sally, those sweet potatoes and beets were my favorite.
Also, I should note, lest some decidedly carnivorous relatives feel maligned, that only some of my extended family is vegetarian. Two uncles and aunts, a cousin, and a set of grandparents, to be exact. But the rest of us are the better for it. It opens up the possibilities of what food can do and be!
Also, it is no secret that I am a nudist. Under my clothes.
I am all about the vegetarian life. This feast looks wonderful and I bet you felt good after you ate, right?
GValleyGirl
Emily, maybe your post should be titled "Don't come between a Woman and her Turkey: read the Comments!"
Holy Cow! This post was so benign until I read the comments. You know its a good blog when not only the post is fun to read, but the commenters are funny too. What a great bunch.
I would love the casserole recipe. What a fun holiday and what a great way to enjoy the bounty!
What is thanksgiving all about? We can and should (in my humble opinion) make it a holiday of thankfulness and gratitude. Children are taught in school that it's about how some pilgrims were starving and then some Indians brought them some grub. I'm sure that this probably happened at sometime, somewhere. But, did you know that Canada also celebrates this holiday but, on a different day. Isn't that weird. It's like celebrating Christmas on another day...what's up with that. Let's just say that it's about as weird as having Thanksgiving without turkey. Are we trying to be healthy or are we trying to survive the winter. I am a proud member of the clean plate club especially on Thanksgiving. Can I tell you about another one of my thoughts? Does it seem that there is a tradition in anyone else's home where the cooks try to make more food than the guests can eat, and the guests try to prevent that from happening by eating until they just about explode. The cooks won again in my home this year but there will be a re-match next year same time, same place.
Anyway the pictures of the meal looked awesome and I would have loved being there. Honestly I never knew Thanksgiving without turkey was possible. Thanks for broadening my horizon. Also, I would love to know any of the recipies.
Does they use turkey flavoring (boullion) or are they complete purists?
I am a veggie eater too so that looks awesome!! I hear you will be at Sally's for Christmas can't wait to see you there...PARTY!!!
Yeah you can finally meet Lance! Oh and its going to be huge at Sally's we will just be there for Christmas day but my parents, grandparents, aunt and sister will be coming with us down there to eat some grub! I can't remember the last time I saw you. You for sure had no kids! I can't wait!
Joe's Uncle Doug: Mushroom and tofu casserole <--I WANT THE RECIPE ! It would make a great blog post!
Also, tonight we had chicken & dumplings and I thought one of you should do a cooking/recipe post on that.
I do NOT want to see the nude thanksgiving post Robin suggests, above, unless all the diners are people I've never seen before & have no chance of meeting in the future.
Ken's:
Canadian Thanksgiving is on a different day because Canadian harvests are earlier than those in the US (it's colder here).
Thanks for the info Nicole, that's cool! I'm glad we have at least one Canadian reader! Hope you comment more! ;-)
Tukey bullion at a vegetarian Thanksgiving? Heaven forbid!
I do believe some of the appetizers had a bit of chicken in them... I did my best to polish them off before anyone noticed (and could beat me to them).
Post a Comment