Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Christmas Candy House

Thanksgiving 2007
NOT the perfect house...but still lots of fun.


Before Sally had kids we stayed up one Thanksgiving night until 3:00 AM working on the most amazing candy Christmas house ever built. It was so perfect it would have won awards. One of my deathbed regrets will be, that in our sugar induced coma, we didn't think to take pictures.

I have tried to recreate that house ever since. We build the house the day after Thanksgiving and work on it most of the day.

Easy Candy House:
  1. Buy lots of different candy:
    • smarties, m&ms, kisses, licorice, skittles, sixlets, jelly beans, Mike & Ikes, lemon drops, candy canes, butter mints, starburst mints, pretzel sticks, circus peanuts, necco wafers, good n'plenty, gum drops, Dots, small cookies and crackers
  2. Collect boxes (cereal, crackers, Pringle cans make good turrets)
  3. Duct tape boxes together into house/castle shape, duct tape house to a foil/paper lined cookie sheet
  4. Cover boxes with graham crackers - using the frosting recipe below
  5. Invite friends and family to help - it is a lot of work - the more the merrier!
  6. Play favorite fun Christmas CD (Harry Connick Jr. always gets me dancing around)
  7. Put candy into bowls. It is exciting to see all that candy!
  8. Using the frosting, glue all the candy to the house. Go crazy!
  9. Take a picture of the final product and email it to us at bossysisters@gmail.com (we will judge them in all different categories and declare winners!)
  10. Let the kids pick at it until it is gross and then throw it away.
In this picture you can see the duct-taped house , some of the bowls of candy, the frosting, and the technique used to apply crackers and candy. Once the house is covered with candy you don't even notice the crackers.

Some houses are neat and tidy, like this one from 2006:

Others are a huge glorious gluttonous celebration of sugar:
Hannah, Curt, and Holly work on the neat and tidy house from 2006.

Most of the kisses, gum drops, lemon drops, and Dots were missing 2 days after this house was done.

Royal Icing:

2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups (330 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted

Mix until smooth. This icing dries and hardens quickly so keep a damp paper towel nearby to cover it when not using. I usually divide it up into several small bowls so everyone can share a small bowl. I usually end up doubling this recipe.

Remember to email us the picture of your house and we will announce the winner!
bossysisters@gmail.com

What should we call this contest?
Should there be a prize?
What is the prize?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, do you allow finger licking?

GValleyGirl

Sally said...

Finger licking is absolutely NOT allowed. If I catch someone licking their fingers, they have to go to time out plus wash their hands.

I want credit for the lemonhead turret on the last picture. It was a lot of work.

We are going to do this after Thanksgiving dinner this year with all of my in-laws, I am really looking forward to it! It is so fun.

Linsey said...

This post makes me so homesick. We are going to have to add "make gingerbread houses" to our ever-growing list of things to do stateside. How we there ever be enough time?

Robin said...

Sally, Finger licking is allowed! In fact, it is encouraged. When I see the kids licking their fingers before they grab more candy I promise myself that I won't eat any of the candy house. It serves as a deterrent.

Paige said...

I'll participate but it ain't going to be right after thanksgiving. Try right before Christmas. I need time.

Melissa said...

I love this "huge glorious gluttonous celebration of sugar" LOL. That is a lot of sugar. Makes my teeth feel icky just looking at it.

I am ok with finger licking. What's a few germs.

I'm with Paige. There is no way I am inviting that much candy in my house to live for weeks. My kids wouldn't keep their hands off. Plus, I think we'll do it the week before Christmas-- we have soooo many days off school this year! We'll need something to keep the kiddos from bouncing off the walls-- yeah, a candy house will do that! (dreaming.) (I prefer gingerbread to graham crackers--- it smells so good backing and I love dipping a chunk of wall into milk. mmmm.)

As for the contest: Prize? A toothbrush? A bottle of diet pills? LOL.

Emily said...

YES! A contest. A prize! A deadline: December 20th. Waddaya say? Prize: An awesome Christmas something. What though?

This is so great, because you prove that a graham (sp?) cracker house can look fabulous, that makes it so much more doable.

GREAT INSTRUCTIONS/TIPS/SUGGESTIONS/BOSSINGS!