
By Emily
I wonder if Sally will feel like I stole this Book Review from her? She's so bossy, she gave me this book and then ordered me to read it, and because I need an occasional bossing from a sister (get some sleep! buy yourself those cute earings! come visit me NOW!), I, of course, read it. And it.was.perfect.
I was in my second pregnancy, Ruby was just 3. I was mostly tired, and frustrated by my short fuse. There were a lot of timeouts, and a lot of mommy apologizing. And then, in the few quiet moments of the day, the self-introspection (read: self-deprecation). Is this what it will be like? Will I always feel annoyed by 3 year old things that I'm supposed to enjoy? Will she hate the baby? Will I love the baby? How can I love anyone as much as I love Ruby? But here's Catherine Newman*. She gets it. In talking to Sally--who was just a few months ahead of me in pregnancy--we decided, it was as if Catherine Newman* read our minds and our hearts, and had the audacity to write it down for the world to read. How dare she!
I keep thinking of this book. Today at the park with another expecting mother--she's expecting her second baby--it snuck into our conversation 5 times. By the end she was saying, "Okay, I guess I will have to check out that book!" ("leave me alone, Crazy McNutFace!") Honestly, I try not to be pushy--but when a bossing goes so well from one sister to another, you sort of have this urge to share it with everyone else.
Here was the scene: three mothers, two young children each, except for one who is expecting her second--conversation: babies, motherhood. There is something so special about that second child. You've already adjusted to being a mother--that huge adjustment is over. You know now what it is like to love a child, you know better than ever before what is at stake. Does that feeling ever go away? This time, this time you know.
But then there is this daily drudgery of wiping, picking up, wiping, picking up. With this pregnancy, you don't have time to do that whole "bonding" thing like the first pregnancy. Oh, My First Pregnancy. For each first pregnancy should be a First Pregnancy. Ruby and I had intimate conversations all the time, mostly in my head, or when no one was around. Every night Joe would talk to her in my stomach, singing JT's Close Your Eyes. That just didn't happen with Maximus, we were complete strangers sharing the same space, giving me heartburn. I just didn't feel connected, because I just didn't have time.
Then, it's time. You're in labor, that baby is coming and all the newborn clothes are in piles on the laundry room floor and you're not ready--and believe me, you're not ready, but you never will be because when that baby comes, you think your heart is going to explode--because this, this, is even more powerful than you remember. This time, you are there. Present. In the moment. And it happens in an instant--no longer strangers, love coming so strong and so fast--different than the first time. This baby, this beautiful baby, this second child is all of the good and none of the bad, and you thought you knew what to expect, but you didn't have a clue.
And I still love Ruby, more than ever.
*these are my favorite posts of Catherine Newman's, but she is no longer posting here.
Do you think she'd consider being my friend? I bet she has a Bossy streak in her.
28 comments:
Oh JT.
I hear this song and I see Roland, in the big blue rocker (now at the cabin) rocking the babies to sleep. He would put this song on and play it over and over and over.
JT and Carly - they were perfect for the 60's/70's.
Emily, you need to explain your insult methodology with the McNut thing.
Oh. yes. Mc____Face or Mc____Head. Well, in our family, we are very loving and kind. We show our love by calling each other names. I know, model parenting. Joe came up with the formula. It works really well in that it is quite versatile. Just insert the point of interest between Mc___Face or Mc____Head. Of course, sometimes adding "Crazy" as the first part of the name adds a certain pizzaz.
Sally, for instance, made a pumpkin pie from scratch. Who does that? What a wierdo. Maybe this would call for Sally being called "Pumpkin McPieFace" or, what was that line she gave about the open spice container looking like a bird beak saying "Give me some pie!"? How about "Crazy Talking McSpiceHead"? It could be improved upon.
THat's the formula. I'm sure you're glad you read about it. Credit goes to Joe, the originator of Mc____Head name calling.
I know--Carly and JT, aren't they gorgeous? I mean, besides the heroine addiction, don't you want to be that couple? So romantic! Slay me.
Emily-
So glad to come across this new blog you and your sisters have started. Can't wait to read more about what you all know and love.
Hey, just popped over from Catherine Newman's blog. Isn't she great? Looks like you have something good goin' on here too. I'll be back.
-NT
I love your last paragraph. Falling in love is so amazing... I want another baby!!!
That video of JT and Carly is so incredible. Wow, JT was hot.
Waiting for Birdy is just such a good book. If you know anyone who is pregnant with their second child, go buy that book for them. Now!
So do I need to wait for kid number 2 before I read this book?
That probably won't be until 2010- if my mom's lucky.
I know what you mean about being to busy to connect with the second pregnancy. I always think about will I love this baby as much as my first? Will I betray the first if I love the new baby more? I'm excited though.
Emily -
It's fun to see you online. I totally feel that each baby brings so much more understanding. The labor and delivery alone is enough to testify to that. Each delivery got more and more special because I understood more and more what an impact this child was going to make in my life and how special he was. So, I agree with ya.
That picture of your baby is so precious. So sweet. There is nothing like a newborn baby.
Your zeal for Catherine Newman does take on religious proportions at times. Take it easy, Mrs. McBabyFace.
Seeing that picture of JMax is enough to get me through the day. Night.
Loved this book too! I am a bossy sister. But for me JT will always be Justin Timberlake. So now I'm out because your JT sucks.
I never read this book. And I have two boys. I should read it. But I'm not pregnant. So, should I read it?
I think you would still like reading it. It is the sort of book you can read in various sittings--like a chapter here and chapter there. Perfect for keeping by your bed and reading a little each night to calm your mind and put you in a happy, sentimental, funny (because you will laugh hard at parts), and sweet place.
It is magnified for people who are expecting a baby--especially a second (or later) baby.
Paige, are you looking for a fight? Because you bettah bring it.
Your "jt" vs. my "JT"--your itty widdy bitty baby jt doesn't stand a chance (or the test of time). My JT, who is a real man, will smack your little baby boy jt down! So bring it, sistah.
Paige, I'm sorry. Someone might should have warned you about the Austin women and their obsession with their "JT".
Nobody told me when I married in...
So I have 5 grown kids, 4 of them bossy daughters. Do I need to read "Waiting for Birdy" or should I just buy a few copies and give them to all the young girls in my ward when they get pregnant with their 2nd child?
I am nearing the end of "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" and I have loved this book.are any of you reading it?
And... Paige...I just want to say that the Austin Bossy girls are justified in their defense of their JT,who even pld ladies like myself adore.
I Saw a tv interview with Carly Simon several years ago and she was being asked about her relationship with JT's and her son Ben, and I loved her response, "oh, Ben, I'm so in love with him." What a great way to feel about your children. That's how I feel about mine!
Oh, I have a friend who just told me she is pregnant with her second. I'm going to go buy her this book.
I love James Taylor!
Its fun to know that the experience was so unique between RJ and JM.
I don't think bossiness is in my nature- maybe because I have never had anyone to boss around. And J,D,J would never listen to my protest against their bossiness (torture of my beloved stuffed animals etc), so I never developed the talent.
I will have to keep the book in mind for gifts to friends who are having number 2:)
Emily, you'd think that my favorite part of your blog would be your outrageously gushing and lovely review of my book, which blew me away, but instead it was this, in a comment from you: "I know--Carly and JT, aren't they gorgeous? I mean, besides the heroine addiction, don't you want to be that couple?" Boy did that make me laugh. Plus, that video is almost too good to be true. How breathtaking. In 1976, took a dance modern class with Carly Simon's niece Libby. That's my brush with fame.
Emily, thank you so much. Made my day.
xo Catherine
WooHoo! Catherine came to the blog! Emily - you must be pretty pleased that your idol dropped by.
GValleyGirl
!!!
Catherine commented on your post!
I would so want to meet her. Her book just--how can you put it into words? It was like she took every feeling, good, bad, worried, joyful, and laid it out bare to laugh about, cry about, break your heart and make your spirit soar.
I am so thrilled she commented!
I'm totally going to find this book and read it. It won't make me baby hungry though right? I'm not allowed to get baby hungry anymore.
You have to read it Melissa. It will make you baby-sentimental. How's that? ;-) And you have to read the articles I linked to, because one of them talks about being "broody" (baby hungry, even though you're done having babies). Catherine Newman's great.
I'm so thrilled she posted a comment!!!
Post a Comment