Tuesday, November 4, 2008

By Popular Demand!

I have been begged, so here is the list.

This isn’t a complete list – but it is pretty close. These are books read by The Page Turners book club. I really enjoyed most of these books. Many of them are books I wouldn’t have read without the book club. I have starred * the ones that I love. The * are books that I loved so much I feel like they became a part of me.

I am sure you will find lots of your favorite books in this list.

1992-96

My Sister the Moon - Sue Harrison
Thief of Time- Tony Hillerman
*Man’s Search for Meaning - Victor Frankel
Bridges of Madison County – This one caused a fight
Everything I Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten - Snoozer
How Green Was My Valley – Richard Llewellyn
Joy Luck Club – Amy Tan
Having Our Say – the Delany Sisters
Catcher in the Rye – Jo Salinger
The Bean Tree – Barbara Kingsolver
*The Hiding Place – Corrie Ten Boom
The Shell Seekers – Rosemunde Pilcher
Where are the children? Mary Higgins Clark
Cold Sassy Tree – Olive Ann Burns
The Giver – Lois Lowry
The Great Train Robbery – Michael Crichton
Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man
*Tisha- Robert Specht
Harry Potter - we read this way before it became popular – we were cutting edge.
*Prodigal Summer – Barbara Kingsolver
Two From Galilee – Marjory Holms
*Like Water for Chocolate – Laura Esquence


1997
Not to Worry Mom, I’m Okay – Karma Smith Belnap
A Long Fatal Chase – Lousia May Alcott
Simeon Solution – Ann Osborne Poleman
Piano Lessons – Noah Adams
My Antonia – Willa Cather
*Crossing to Safety – Wallace Stagner

1998 - 1999
Into Thin Air – Jon Krakauer
Reviving Ophelia – Mary Pipher
Saints – Orson Scott Card – This one caused a heated discussion.
The Chatham School Affair – Thomas Cook
Seven Habits for Effective Families – Stephan Covey
*Christy – Catherine Marshall
Evita, The Real Life of – Nicolas Fraser and Marysa Navarro
*Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood- Rebecca Wells
Cold Mountian – Charles Frazer
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – Betty Smith
*Glimpses – Marjorie Pay Hinckley
The Richest Man in Babylon

2000-2003
*Agony & Ecstasy – James A Mitchner
Snow Falling on Cedars – Gutterson
A Walk in the Woods – Bill Bryson
The Ginger Tree – Osward Wynd
Living a Life that Matters – Harold Kushner
Sarah – Orson Scott Card
A Farewell to Arms – Ernest Hemmingway
Kane & Able – Jeffery Archer
*Ladies Auxiliary – Tova Mirvis
*These is my Words – Nancy E Turner
One Thousand White Women
A Breach of Promise- Ann Perry
Girl with a Pearl Earring – Tracy Chevalier
Sea Glass – Anita Shreve
Finding Fish – Antwone Fisher
Wishing Well – David Balducci
Uncle Tom’s Cabin – Harriet Beacher Stowe
Secret Life of Bees – Sue Mark Kidd

2004
The Da Vinci Code – Dan Brown
*Bel Canto – Ann Patchette
*Peace Like A River – Leif Enger
Life of Pi – Yaan Martel
Screwtape Letters – C.S. Lewis
Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands – Dr. Laura

2005
*The Good Earth – Pearl S. Buck
Reading Lotlita in Tehran – Azar Nafisi
Cane River – Lalita Tademy
French Women Don’t Get Fat – Mireille Guiliano
Sacagawea – Anna L Waldo
Churchhill’s Secret Agent – Josephine Butler
My Name is Asher Lev – Chaim Potok

2006
Kite Runner
Gifted Hands

At this point I moved to Colorado. Away from the best book club ever. Waa.

16 comments:

Kristen said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Melissa said...

This is fabulous. I'm taking the kids to the library tomorrow and I'm going to put a bunch of these on hold so I dont' even have to try and find them. I LOVE the library.

Sally said...

I love the library too! I love how I can put things on hold and they wait for me.

I think my favorite book of all time is a tie between These Is My Words and The Poisonwood Bible. I haven't read either of them for a while.

Melissa said...

Reviewing it... I can TOTALLY see Saints causing a heated discussion. Wow. I adored that book, but it wasn't for the faint of heart. Another book I loved was called.... The Giant Joshua by Maureen Whipple. It was amazing and painful, I shared it with a friend who called me at about 2 a.m. when she finished it, sobbing... she said "My husband just didn't get why I had to call you!" It was our own private book club over the phone.

I love it when you read a book and just can't wait to talk about it with someone!

Read the Giant Joshua... I bet Linda has read it.

Melissa said...

Sally, I loved These Is My Words too. I read it last spring. It was terrific! I wanted MORE!

Linda Austin Hart said...

I read Giant Joshua when it first came out, over 30 years ago. wow that's how long I've been in my bookclub, and we've (or I have) read most of these on the list. Some really great books. I would put stars by 3 times as many probably.

Jenibelle said...

Loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, loved, loved Peace Like A River, so many on your list are great friends of mine!!!

Paige said...

My favorite book ever is Poisonwood Bible (hi sally!) and Steinbeck's East of Eden. LOVED it.

Joe said...

My Antonia is one of my five favorite books of all time. Absolutely beautiful.

p.s. Are men encouraged to post on the bossy blog? It just occurred to me I might be treading askew. I don't want to bogart the sister vibe . . . and being the only dude might be kind of creepy . . .

Melissa said...

Joe, I think Dave has posted... You are welcome -- just watch out you might get hooked and become a frequent guest blogger. :)

Robin said...

Joe- even if you tried, there is no way you can bogart this vibe.

Bogart.
Bogart - the coolest word I have heard this week.

Emily said...

THis is a great list. Joe's grandma keeps a recipe box index of all the books she reads with her own short description and review. Only a few short sentences each, so it's not too overwhelming. I think it is cool--I like sites like Goodreads for that reason. It is fun to log it all.

Jake said...

Great great list! Thank you.

Phoebe said...

Is it weird to confess that I think I have this list already? Emily must have passed it on back in the Davis days.

"The Giant Joshua" is fabulous, but not for the entire LDS audience, I have found.

What about "Where Nothing in Long Ago" by Virginia Sorenson? I read it for a class in college and have loved it ever since.

Emily said...

Phoebe,
1) I LOVE your profile photo, do not EVER change it, never ever.
2) Um, I think I somehow didn't get a link to your blog on your profile...must have been some kind of mistake...(YOU NEED TO BLOG! or just comment here all the time and join our conversation!)
3) Yes, you have this list. Funny, huh?
4) Good to hear from you again!

super said...

This is an impressive list! I just realized, if I had started a bookclub when you did, I would have read this many books too.