At our house, it's that time again. Christmas music time. Christmas is a powerful holiday and induces some people to do things at an inappropriately early time. My old neighbor across the street put up her Christmas tree the day after Halloween. On Nov. 1, it shone bright and sparkly from her front window while I sat looking at it from my living room eating my kids' trick-or-treat candy. Or there's Paige, my friend who got her Christmas lights up a little on the early side(October 21) this year, but her kids like them and Paige has been getting lots of mileage from them.
For me, it's Christmas music. I love it, and I break it out early. Not the day after Halloween, but not too far into November either. Christmas music is uplifting and optimistic, full of the promise of Christmas itself. Music in general has that amazing power to turn a boring or frustrating moment into something better. I started listening to Christmas music in earnest this week. I don't discriminate during the holidays--I love all kinds of Christmas music: country, classical, Hawaiian slack key (yes, I really do have a Hawaiian slack key Christmas CD, it is great), latin, pop, rock, folk, children's, new age, jazz, r&b, and choral. I don't have any punk, hip-hop or electronica Christmas music yet. Maybe you can recommend some to me.
Below are a few of my favorite Christmas CDs, and I suggest you give them a listen (I linked most over to amazon so you can hear clips, or you could use your library to check out a CD before you buy it!). I want to share them with you, so read on to the end and leave a comment, because you might get a Christmas CD from me!
All-time favorites:


A tie between these two Amy Grant CDs (A Christmas Album and The Christmas Collection). I have been listening to them forever. She has a total of 5 Christmas CDs, and these two are the best. This is good for car listening because you can crank it up loud and sing along. I rock out on Emmanuel, and cry on Breath of Heaven. My husband teases me about how much I love these CDs. I never listen to any other Amy Grant music.
Always a popular choice:

Mannheim Steamroller, Christmas Celebration. Some of the songs sound a little like 80's aerobics music, but we all love it, right? My kids dance around like cheerful rock stars when we play this music. I'm pretty impressed by what these people did with their Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music (that thing in the upper right corner is a movie of Santa):
Some music you might not have tried:

Take 6, He is Christmas. This group is mostly a capella. The other bossy sisters are equally addicted. If you were in high school jazz choir, you will go nuts for this, otherwise you might find it a bit cheesy.
Narada Christmas Collection. Beautiful, mostly acoustic guitar.

Liz Story, The Gift. This fascinating cover art won the Boring Design of The Year Award. The music is lovely, not boring at all.

Baby Einstein, Baby Santa. It sounds cute and xylophoney, like all Baby Einstein products. The little kids dig it.
For your Christmas Party:
Michael Buble, Let It Snow. It's good but there are only 6 songs on it. Which is why it only costs $6.

Sarah McLachlan, Wintersong
James Taylor (That's the original JT, Paige), at Christmas. This is not his music video. I couldn't find any for my Christmas music.
Romantic Christmas music:

Josh Groban, Noel. The guy can sing.
To make your house sound like a Christmas store at the mall:

Hugs for the Holidays. Super duper cheesy, but I like it for background music.
Majestic Christmas music to blast on Christmas morning in order to wake up the adults and teenagers:

MoTab, Joy To The World. This belongs in everyone's collection. It is commanding in it's official Christmasness. Break it out at 7 AM on Christmas morning and even the moody adolescents will come running.
This is just the tip of the iceberg of my Christmas music collection. I bet you have favorites too, and I am sure there is great music out there that I'm missing, so leave a comment with your favorite music (or just leave a comment!). I want to share the music I love, so I will randomly select one comment and send that reader a mix CD of some of my Christmas favorites! Leave your comment by 8:00 PM Friday, Nov 21.
Merry music to you!
29 comments:
Oh! I just can't wait to read Paige's snarky comments about her jt verses our JT.
I think I will get all my Christmas music out today! I want the buble and the Amy Grant Christmas Collection! If I win the contest make sure you include a song from each of those CDs!
Sending winning thoughts out to the universe.
GValleyGirl
We buy one new CD every year, but my all time favorite two are...
1. Barenaked for the Holidays-Barenaked Ladies Christmas album. With titles like, "Elf's Lament" and more traditional "Jingle Bells" (batman smells version) you know it's good
2. Michael Crawford, a Christmas Album. His version of "O Holy Night" brings tears to my eyes everytime. And the song, "Mary Did you know?" helps me remeber the religious side of Christmas.
Good Post!(Does flattery help me win?)
These are all great. Many of them are classics in my own library. :) You didn't mention Jon Schmidt's Christmas CD and if you haven't heard it -- you really should go buy it!! It is WONDERFUL. I can't remember what it's called...but I'm sure it'll come up in a "Jon Schmidt Christmas" google search.
I also LOVE the soundtrack from Home Alone. Not just the instrumental stuff, but the songs "Somewhere in My Memory", "Christmas Tree", and "Star of Bethlehem". Definitely at the top of my huge list of Christmas songs.
And I love the version of "Baby It's Cold Outside" from ELF, with Zoe Daschenal singing (that's probably not how you spell her name...but you know, the girl on ELF...).
Hi Bossys,
I'm a friend of Emily's and a fan of the Bossy blog. Every year I debate with the Christmas music thing. I love it, but I hate to bust it (and a move) out too early and stifle Thanksgiving. But great suggestions!
Happy Holidays!
I love Christmas music! It always puts me in a good mood. Who can listen to Christmas music and be grumpy? Because of that, I should probably listen to Christmas music all year long, but I really don't start playing it in my house until the day after Thanksgiving. Can't wait until next Friday!
I don't really have a favorite Christmas CD, but I am sure if I win your give away that my new favorite CD will be your mix!
Oh Sally, these are goood. I didn't know Michael Buble had a Christmas CD. Will have to get that one.
Christmas music makes me think of the Osmonds Christmas CD that featured Jimmy singing, "It never snows in LA".
Cheesy, but I like my Kenny G CDs with his beauteous saxaphoning. And Harry Connick Jr. Christmas CD is a favorite too. And you can't forget the original soundtrack to Charlie Brown's Christmas.
My sister and I were just praising Amy Grants Christmas music yesterday...Another favorite is Elvis...
I have ONE Christmas CD. One. And it's awesome. Charlie Brown Christmas. Buy it, you'll love it.
And for Robin- Clearly it's not your fault that you ALL love JT. It's obviously a genetic flaw. Please give us all a break and don't pass it on to your children. They have pre-pregnancy genetic testing for a reason.
Hi Sally. Don't forget about The Carpenter's Christmas album. Fantastic. We were listening to it last weekend, when it was like 85 degrees out and it felt a little weird, but I still loved it.
So my SIL Hilary put this link on her website and I am SO glad she did! My husband and I were going through our Christmas music and he just looked at me and said "Don't we have Amy Grant's?!?!" I had to laugh, but I agree, it is one of the best! I'm a fan of Josh Groban's CD!
Pick me, pick me!! I love, love, love Christmas music and love living in a country where they don't celebrate Thanksgiving so I can listen to it as much as I want without feeling guilty and ungrateful.
Sally, I KNOW the amount of effort that went in to that post. You're awesome! Oh, and Christmas music feeds my soul and I hope I win.
I am almost embarrasses to say this. I love my Donny Osmond Christmas CD. Just bought Michael Buble's, love it...love Manheim....love, love Amy Grant and the Carpenters are the best ever.
I'm looking for a good Hanukkah CD, got any leads on one of those?
I personally have grown to love the Take 6 cd, but I always feel like I have to explain what it is to guests when they come over and it's jammin'. Not a lot of vocal jazz enthusiasts out there these days.
But I love it.
WOW! You have hit my area of insanity! I love everything about Christmas and I love the music. I found some of the best stuff at random stores like Walmart done by a random Choir (Roland Hanneman) that I love. I think we have like 100 some odd christmas songs on our IPOD my fav is A very special christmas all the Volumes... Its great they update it every year I LOVE CHRISTMAS!
YOU ARE PRETTY... Did I win?
Harry Conick Jr. is hands down my favorite christmas cd. It's great for the adults and the kids love it too!
"Me me me!" (pretend that's sung as a little vocal warm up)
I love Christmas music. Might be the only drawback to Dave working at home-- he likes to wait longer than me. Last year for Christmas he downloaded all our Christmas CD's (there are a lot!) to my Ipod. LOVE IT.
My longtime fave is Michael Chertock. It is Christmas songs from movies, piano style. Very easy listening.
We bought the Osmonds a year or two ago, love it. :)
I have one more comment that I meant to make earlier. My all time favorite Christmas album is "Johnny Mathis Christmas". Oh man, I play it on repeat starting directly after Halloween. Love it.
I adore the newest Amy Grant Christmas CD that I bought this year... also the new Ledisi "It's Christmas" CD. Talk about a great Jazzy CD! The lady can really belt them out. Check it out on iTunes if you are looking for something new this year. Also, Andreas Vollenweider's 'Midnight Clear' CD. Makes for nice background music. AND, for all you Sheryl Crow fans...Hallmark just put out her Christmas CD this year.... I have too many to mention!
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
Wow! I am so impressed with your assortment. The bright, shining star of my Christmas music collection is A CHRISTMAS TOGETHER by John Denver & The MUPPETS. It's a must for every home! Everything from Miss Piggy hollering "Fiiiive Goooolden Rings!" to the most tender "Peace Carol". I recommend it to one and all!
I love Christmas music too. I think it's as acceptable in July as in December. I once worked with a custodian (retired detective) who felt the very same way. I always loved it when he came by my work station. My husband tells me my taste is soo random. I have some jimmy buffet, cyndi lauper, Jon Schmidt--it has a chocolate piano on the cover mmm, mo tab gloria with Canadian Brass I think, Jim Brickman's The Gift, and my favorite that I just got this last year as a tape (a moment of silence for the tapes of the past) which I can listen to still is the Oakridge Boys. I also love Lorena Mckenna (I don't know how to spell her name--she's canadian) has I think it's Wintersong. Dang I can't find it at the moment, it's short but I love it.
I was just wondering too on the Bare Naked Ladies CD do they sing "Baby it's cold outside." I've been looking for their version of it (ok not very hard--but still) is it on there?
Oh love Amy Grant too...Grownup Christmas List is one of my all time favs. Last but certainly not least is Bing Crosby. I have one CD that includes Louis Armstrong. Love it. And I'm looking forward to the University Singers (U of U) new Christmas albumn too. Their samples were wonderful!
I love Christmas.
I love it all! I feel like we'll be traveling so much, that I got Christmas stuff out earlier this year to enjoy it in my own home ;-)
Nice selections from Sally, the Bossy girls, and all followers! Many new choices listed here along with the old favorites! Can I add to your list: Roger Whitaker's Christmas songs -- some great whistling songs along with mellow vocals. from Melissa's Mom
Tran Siberian Orchestra rocks at Christmas! It is the best!
Great suggestions for other, more traditional music,though. I just may get into the Christmas Spirit before Thanksgiving!
I'm late, but a must have is John Denver and the Muppets, A Christmas together. :)
P.S. Thanks for the new referrals! We've got some of your favorites, but now I have more to try. And a mix from my beautiful friend Sally would be awesome.
I've always loved Canadian Brass. Five piece brass ensembles make me do Christmas tree headstands.
Must be a trumpet thing.
Post a Comment