by Sally
My favorite things this week.
First on my list has to be the public library. At my library, once you have a card, you can go online and reserve anything in the entire library system. They will send it to the local library as soon as it's available, email me that it's waiting, and my local library then holds the item for me for 2 weeks.
Right now at home I have this book on CD:
Haven't listened to it yet and it's due tomorrow. The road to late fees is paved with good intentions.
These DVDs:


And quite a few children's books with CDs so the kids can listen and read along.
On hold and waiting for me at this very moment are a bunch of Christmas CDs, a cookbook, and the newest (it's not that new) Khaled Hosseini book on CD. While there is a limit to how many items you can check out, there is no limit to how many you can place on hold. I have over 40 items on hold at the moment! One of them is a parenting book one of my bossy sisters told me to read. Another is Twilight, the book everyone on the planet has read except for me. Because it is so popular it might take me, say, 2-3 weeks to get it, instead of 5 days which is often the norm for things on my holds list.
When I pick this up later today, I will put it on immediately. I'm not waiting until after Thanksgiving for Christmas music this year.I used to buy books at Costco. I still have a huge stack of them that I've not yet read. Now I check books out for FREE and don't read them. Much better!
Today I got on a roll and added a bunch of music CDs. Mostly new age stuff--Liz Story, George Winston. Also some John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma, Ella Fitzgerald, and of course The Muppets. I get to audition all of these CDs for a week or two before deciding if I want to buy them on itunes. You can also check out movies, kid's music, any printed media, and some library systems even have amazing online resources like the Rosetta Stone language courses.

Just a small portion of my holds list.
If you don't use your library, give it a try. Most libraries have these online resources now and they are fantastic and will save you money. (Unless you are disorganized like me and you end up paying lots of small late fees...still worth it). You can't beat it for finding books on CDs for road trips (or cleaning the house), cookbooks, parenting books, and a zillion things to entertain and educate children.
Other favorite things this week:
The shark, which my kids think is an awesome toy and therefore they use it constantly. It was about $50 at Coscto. It does not have suction, but the tiny motor does sweep stuff up. I was actually underwhelmed by the performance of this purchase, but in the 3 weeks since, it's gotten used multiple times every day by les enfants, so I have to love that.

Bamboo cooking utensils. From Target. Bamboo is a very durable wood, but gentle on your cookware. You will never go back to plastic or (gasp) metal again.
Cold Weather. We moved recently and I wasn't expecting the warm weather to be humid for the first 5 hours of every single morning! Getting sweaty while dropping kids off for school is not fun. It was too hot for 4 months straight (no one here has A/C). I am so grateful to finally have some cool weather and have the house get cold at night.
This weather looks very appealing when you are too hot for 4 months.
And those, gentle readers, are my favorites of the week.
16 comments:
I don't use the library as much as I should... but I am a Border's Rewards member, so I never buy a book at full price :-) The book Three Cups of Tea is on my wishlist - every year Boise State has a First Year read where all freshman are supposed to read the same book and then the book is discussed in most freshmen-level classes. The books are usually pretty good so I try to read them as well.
Oh, and I LOVE bamboo utensils. I also love that they are dishwasher-safe!
Our library ROCKS--no late fees. It is totally awesome. I don't know how they do it, but they do, and it is so great.
Plus, our librarians are the nicest. And they let Ruby "check" out her own books (scan them with the scanner).
Let me know what you think of the Buble christmas CD. I might put it on my wish list.
I am going to Target to buy those bamboo untensils. Pronto.
Eeew. I can't stand the Library. All those people reading and sneezing on the same book that I read? No way. I buy all my books, read them and sell them on amazon. It makes me feel green and clean.
If Robin is buying those bamboo utensils I am too - I just do what ever she does.
GValleyGirl
GValleyGirl, you crack me up.
No late fees, Em? That is awesome. I owe $4.75 right now. I have to pay it today so I can get my Christmas music.
I, too, love the library. But I only get books on CD there because I don't have time to read. This is how I do all my reading. I will put that book on hold and we can have a "one-time bookclub" at Christmas. Yay!
I will check out the putting music CD's on hold. What a great idea. I know they have them there, but I never do it.
Also, our library charges late fees, OR you can bring in canned goods to pay off your late fees and they are donated to the food drive. How awesome is that?!
I always pay the late fee, I never remember to bring in canned food.
I love the library also. It has saved me a ton a of $$, except right now I have to return "A Thousand Spendid Suns" (LOVED it.....even better than the Kite Runner which I also loved)and I can't find the last cd in the set ANYWHERE. I've renewed it twice & been looking for the CD for a month. It's around here someplace.
Thanks Kristen. I didn't know the library would let you donate canned food instead of late fees. awesome!!
I have always loved the library for my kiddos. Free story hour, music and movement, and as many books as they can carry. I am just now discovering how much I can benefit from the library too. Since I am trying to be a "reader" All those books can be intimidating, I never know what author to choose, but I found one I liked and my librarian did a search for similiar authors. It's great.
After a mis-hap at our library and fees totaling over $50. I had our account expunged (is that the word?) and started over. The Head Librarian said I looked honest and forgave all our fines. $50 that is serious money for late books.
I love the shark too. Anything to help keep the house cleaner makes me happy.
Cold weather is heavenly. It topped out 50* here today. Just like I like it. Cold enough to have hot drinks and sweaters, warm enough to not have to bundle like eskimos just to load in adn out of the stores running errands.
I'd never make it in So Cal.
The library is wonderful. We were there just this morning and I only owed $2. I so much wish that we did canned foods. That is Awesome, I'm going to suggest it. I'm sure they will listen to me. :)
Sally!
You know you can renew online when you can't find a book. It buys you time before you have to fork over the late fees. I think you can renew 2 or 3 times before they get suspicious.
I also LOVE the library. Even here in the boonies you can hold anything in the system and get it sent to the nearest branch. It is awesome!
We are weekly visitors!
Oh, and I love your last picture. I absolutely love a cold and rainy day. I would do well in the far reaches of the northwest.
I read Three Cups of Tea. I haven't read Twilight...we could start a club.
Love the Buble Christmas CD. I just wish it had more songs.
Sally just reading your posts makes me miss you! I can't wait to see you at Christmas, it will be so much fun sorry we had to bail out of Thanksgiving I am totally bummed!
Looking forward to your review of "Three Cups of Tea". I've been wanting to audible that.
After 20 years Liz Story is still my favorite pianist.
FYI ... You still need to make your header image link to the Bossy homepage.
Post a Comment