Friday, November 7, 2008

Christmas coins

by Melissa

This past week. I was making a schedule for a little Play-School I'm doing for my 3 year old and her friends and I realized Christmas is only about 8 weeks away. Yikes! Then, I got thinking about the past few Decembers, and here comes the true confessions-- I clearly remember thinking, "I'll think of thoughtful gifts next year, this year I just need to BUY SOMETHING." "Next year I am going to teach my kids about Giving." "I'll take time to feel the 'spirit' of the Season after Christmas" Yes, I actually thought this-- lets just get the 25th over and then I'll relax and feel all Christmassy.... um, delusional? Maybe. (I was actually called delusional yesterday. I'm clinging to it, it makes me feel better about things.)

Switch Gears.

My friend Becky gives her kids Mom Bucks for all sorts of things... extra chores, good behavior, that kind of thing. (She also has the power to take them away--- oooh, Power!) Her kids use them to buy special treats... She told me about this and I thought it was terrific, but I was too lazy to implement it. This happens to me a lot. A lot. I hear great ideas that make for responsible kids and happy families and I am too lazy to do the set up... But not this time. This time, I decided to spin it my way.

Enter Christmas Coins:

Each child created a jar. Ugly as Sin, but they needed some ownership here, I was picturing all PBK cutesy I got 4th grade boy draws aliens... whatever, he feels invested. That was the point. Each Darling Child gets Poker chips aka Christmas Coins for all sorts of reasons-- Jobs well done, done without nagging, Kindness to others... you get the idea. The Coins earned go towards buying gifts for each other! (Maybe this year I'll teach the joy of giving?)

I hope it works. Yesterday, after Henry had eaten 3 markers from off the dining room/Art Central floor, I threatened to dump all the previously earned coins... not so well played by me. I'll try for better today. They are motivated to earn and give, and so am I. I am hoping in starting this "giving" theme early I will have a more with-it Christmas Season.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

when you wrote:
"I was picturing all PBK cutesy I got 4th grade boy draws aliens... whatever, he feels invested."

that's funny. an alien christmas, anyone? not so pbk?

-NT

Sally said...

I love this idea! Genius--it accomplishes many things. I'm thinking if those are all the poker chips you have, you might be needing more by the time Christmas rolls around. Unless you do dump everyone's out every so often!

Julie said...

I've done marbles that each child gets if they say something nice to each other. They can spend them in my closet "store". At first they said things like (very stilted and slow) "Thank you, you are nice" and then quickly made sure I was looking when they said it. It worked for awhile. I like the twist and emphasis on giving. I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Emily said...

Melissa, who called you delusional? Huh? I really want to know. Sounds like a good story.

Anonymous said...

We did something like this with a special star. The kids would so something kind for someone else (write a nice note, unload the dishwasher, make their bed) and leave the star. Then that child would do the same for the next child. We kept track of the number of times the star was used and those were points applied to a family outing (Ice Skating I think?).

It was successful for about 10 days...then it lost speed.

GValleyGirl

Laura said...

I do marble jars all year round, but I LOVE the idea of swaping out the marbles and putting in Christmas coins, so the kids can buy presents for each other. Since we draw names, the kids will know exactly who they are "saving" up for. I can just hear my little Caleigh now, "Miles, go clean your room so you can earn more christmas coins for my present." She is so bossy!

Oh, and can I also say I LOVE this blog. I was invited to read it by Emily, who I adore. But already I feel smarter, supported, creative, and uplifted so far. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! I wonder if I can use it with older kids. I think it would work. I would probably have to trade them some manner of real money for the coins. Because they are old enough to go and actually buy gifts for each other.

Hmmmm....I'm going to think about this.

Robin said...

Do you think this would work for teenagers and their dad?

Emily said...

Laura! I'm so glad you keep reading and commenting! Thanks! We LOVE it when people add to our discussion--it's not meant to be just for us sisters, it is meant to be for EVERYONE!

On that strand--my friend (she's an "Emily" too) told me that she liked the blog--she said something like "sisters know how to tell it like it is." Maybe we should put that on our banner instead of "we know it all".

I hope Emily (She's an "Emily P." too--non-the-less) comments on our blog also. No pressure Emily. ;-)

Melissa said...

I like everyone else's ideas. We don't do marbles around our house because even my 10 year old still puts things in his mouth... marbles are hazardous- but it is the same concept. I hope it lasts longer than 10 days. Jane just swept the kitchen floor without being asked. Hooray!

Emily, a woman called me delusional because I said our kids would rather go on a family field trip to DC and spend the day doing awesome cool things together than riding on a school bus for 4+ hours each direction to see the capitol building with classmates. Apparently I'm delusional for thinking my kids enjoy being with me. My response to her "Well, my kids like me. Too bad your not a cool mom like me." I stuck my tongue out too. Very sassy of me. :p

Hilary said...

EMily-

I am so excited about this! I was thrilled to get your email (especially since i am a lame friend who can't keep in touch with anyone except through blogging). I can't wait to read all about it.

I will let you know what I think.

This looks fantastic!

Linda Austin Hart said...

Hey, what about having a part of your blog called "Ask a question" or "Help, I Need ADvice" and readers can ask their questions for bossy to answer, kind of like "Dear Abby", or "Ann Landers"...e.g.:
Dear Bossy,
What should I do about my husband who leaves his hat, and mail, and jacket, and ham radio gear, and Knights of Columbus Newsletters, and electric drill, and all kinds of other odd stuff lying all over the kitchen table & counters?
from
Going Crazee in Poquipsee

Melissa said...

Melissa -

You're such an awesome mom. My kids are lucky.

Melissa said...

Hey, don't you love how I complimented myself there. Smooth. :)

Somebody hijacked my laptop... para...