Do you really want to do this?
I think I will stay home and make French Toast (try it with Hawaiian Sweet Bread - so good)
If you decide to do Black Friday (or any Christmas shopping) here is some advice:
- Don't go hungry. Eat a breakfast with protein and take a granola bar or cheese stick with you. Toss a water bottle in the car too.
- Make a list of exactly what you need. Don't count on your post-thanksgiving-feast brain to remember who gets what. This is not a time to wing it. Stick to your list.
- Research first. Make sure the deal you are getting is really a deal. Some stores jack the "original" price up to make the "sale" price look better than it really is.
- Prioritize. You need sleep to be a nice person. Do you really want to stand in line overnight for a chance to buy one of 20 Wii's at Sam's Club for $70? Really?
- Check out this site and other sites like it before you shop.
- Forget fashion and wear your comfortable shoes. No one functions well when their feet hurt.
- Be polite to fellow shoppers and clerks. Smile, make cheerful small talk, express gratitude. Spread that Christmas cheer! It might protect you from getting shanked when you grab someone's $70 Wii.
Did you do Black Friday today? Tell us about it! (Did you get shanked?)
11 comments:
Rocked Black Friday. Never done it before but we made out like Bandits. Kohls at 4 a.m. I felt like one of the crazies, but we got great deals and were in line at K-Mart by 5:45. We were home before 7 and the kids never knew we left. I'd tell you all I got, but Eve is reading over my shoulder ;)
Mom and I went together, I'd never do it alone, I need a partner.
I live less than a mile from Kohl's and kept thinking I should go, but decided to sleep instead.
Oh well.
I'm glad you had a good experience and got lots done, very early!
Toys R Us- 4:30 (chaos), Fred Meyer, Kohls, home by 7:30. Exhausted.
It's not really worth it to me...I went and staked out the local scrapbook store one year for some feebies to the first 50 through the door - THAT was awesome! This year I stayed home a prepared my 4 year old twins B-day party (I made it out alive - barely. And you thought the black friday crowds were rough!)
Melissa & Karen, I am 100% impressed. Maybe if I had a sister or mom visiting who wanted to go with me, I would go too! I have never shopped on Black Friday on purpose. I hope today got our economy back in the black this year. Not going to hold my breath.
Um, no thanks.... I'll pay extra and shop the week before Thanksgiving which is just what I did. Not worth it to get bumped, bruised and battered waiting in a cold and sometimes wet early morning line. I like my body parts right where they are.
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
We skipped shopping and went to the mountains to cut our Christmas tree. Much more peaceful until the baby got tired of it. Luckily we never get very far from the car and it didn't take her long to settle once we were back in the car.
I have a question can anyone tell me when the "Black Friday" name came about....who coined it? I feel like Rip Van Winkle...I only slept for a few minutes.
I LOVE Black Friday!!! I secretly, love when I see groups of ladies dressed up in crazy christmas getups-wishing I could join them. I would add to the suggestion list. Go with a good partner, someone who can make fast decisions and who has a different list than you. They might be picking up something you didn't even know you "needed." The biggest plus to having a partner, they can stand in line while you grab a few extra things. Plus lines go quicker when you have someone to celebrate getting your good deal with. Definitely going next year.
I love Karen S's photo. I think Laura has the right idea--I might actually try it out that way. ;-)
I waited for 2 1/2 hours for RC Willey to open. Why? To get an Ipod for $70. Crazy, I know, but I thought "what the heck, what do I have to do today-nothing." So I waited in line and thankfully I made it in line to be by the last heat lamp and the people around me were friendly. I found out I got a $25 gift card (that equals a free gift) and I won a a free video (that equals another free gift). The radio station was there doing raffles and playing music. It was a party. Of course we had a group of people cut in line (grrrr!), but eventually I got the Ipod. I don't even know if it is a good deal, but I actually enjoyed myself. I never knew I could stand for that long and not have my feet hurt. The new shoes are working.
didn't do it. didn't miss it.
Won't do week after Xmas sale shopping eaither.
The best deals of the year always are the Monday morning after school starts in January.
Post a Comment