I came home that evening disappointed that I hadn't been able to get the hatbox that would so perfectly match my decor. As we drove up to the house I saw something sitting on the porch. I got out of the car and walked over to see the hatbox, with a card on top. Inside it read, "How often do you get to give a gift to someone that you know they truly want? Enjoy! Love, Jolyn". I will never forget that experience. I will always love Jolyn for that kindness.
This is one of those little unexpected kindnesses that moves me to tears, I'm teary just remembering it. How thoughtful, how simple and generous. Sometimes those unexpected kindnesses are physical gifts, sometimes they are a service someone does for you, and sometimes, they are just a kind word, that smile, or the unexpected compliment from a stranger.
So here is your bossing for today...tell us about an unexpected kindness that was extended to you, AND, each day this week, extend kindness to others, unexpectedly. Go to!
My Cherished Hatbox! (Thank you Jolyn!!!)
11 comments:
What a nice person Jolyn is! I wonder if her plan, the whole time you were bidding her up, was just to give you the box?
I really liked this story, and I can't believe I never heard it from you before!
Here is an unexpected kindness I experienced: when we moved, friends of ours, in a different ward, who we don't see often (but we really like) called and offered to take the boys for the whole day. They ended up keeping them until after 8:00 PM so we could continue to clean after the movers left. They feed them, napped them and everything! They gave up their Saturday for us and it was the nicest thing. And without that help I probably would have cried all day (instead of only twice, ha ha).
I was kind to someone this week--Monday was the birthday of a new friend I've made and I took her a box of candy and a copy of one of my favorite CDs. I could tell it made her happy and she wasn't expecting it. :) That made me happy too.
That is a great story! It's interesting how many opportunities we have to be kind that go missed because we don't think of them.
This is a beautiful story, Kristen. Yesterday my neighbor and friend watched Ruby and Maximus for me so that Joe could come to my conference presentation. While that was so nice, even nicer was her invitation to stay for dinner when we got back. It was so nice! And I felt such a huge relief having finished my presentation, that I just felt like I could really enjoy their company. We love our neighbors!
Thanks for sharing this story - I used to be really good about doing random acts of kindness, but I've slacked off lately. This was a good reminder! A couple months ago I blogged about unexpected kindness from a neighbor.
I'd just given a pretty personal presentation in a class I was in with Emily at BYU. I didn't know her very well, but she stopped me on the sidewalk outside the Administration building and told me that she'd liked it and thought that we all felt that way sometimes. It was my first semester back in school full time and I was pretty insecure about a lot of things. Made my semester! Thanks Em
Kristen, that story made my day.
Unexpected kindness is great. Sometimes I act kind of mean just so I can turn around and be kind and BAM! Unexpected.
Sweet Kristen, I have no words! For you to remember after all these years. What an expression of love you have given me. Thanks for reminding me that no matter what is going on around you, joy can be found in showing love. I think that was the funnest gift I have ever given. Thank you for your gift to me today. You touched my heart,I had tears while I was reading. You are a treasured friend. Love, Jolyn
Great, now I'm all teary. Thanks a lot, how KIND of you. :)
Seriously though, I am glad for this post. I think unexpected niceness is a wonderful goal. I know people might disagree, but these East Coasters are a different breed. Sometimes when I think I am being nice, they growl at me! Mostly though, it is as if we are all invisible to one another. I'm going to go out of my way to be extra cheery--- I was thinking just the other day that I am turning into "one of them".
Nice post.
It’s only 7:00 in the morning, and I’m already tearing up. What is this world coming to? Your story reminded me of one of the first time’s in my life when I really, truly needed help. I like to be independent. I like to think that I can do everything, and juggle all that I have on my plate, all by myself. But almost 2 years ago, when my third baby was born, unexpectedly almost 6 weeks early, my life was thrown for a loop. I didn’t have a plan of action for this! He stayed in the NICU after I was released from the hospital. Any new mom who has had to leave the hospital without her baby understands how painful that is. I wanted to be there with him as much as I could – but I also had two sweet little toddlers at home to tend to.
My compassionate service leader (who was AWESOME at her calling) wouldn’t let me off the hook without accepting some help. I agreed to let her send a sign up sheet around, with six, 1½ hour slots for sisters to volunteer to watch my girls over the next week, so I could be with Calvin.
She brought by the sign up sheet to my home after it had gone around on Sunday, and as soon as I looked at it, I began to weep. And I mean weep. The six slots were filled by sisters – some whom I barely knew, and some, dear friends. And underneath the six slots were the signatures of 36 other sisters who added their names, phone numbers and quick notes about their schedules and when they could take my girls if I needed more help.
I had never before been the recipient of such love, such caring, such unexpected kindness. It came at a time that I felt so helpless. I can’t even describe what those simple signatures on a paper meant to me. Knowing that people cared about me, and wanted to do something to help me, and my family meant the world.
Calvin came home after five days, was on oxygen for 2 months, and has had two surgeries since his birth…there have been so many kindnesses shown to our family during that time, and since…and it all started with a simple sign up sheet in relief society.
I love my Oakwood sisters!
Cumorah, we had a similar experience with Sisters (Bossy and Ward) taking over our life for a month while our Sweet Eve fought for her life on a vent in the PICU. It was a long month, not something I would ever wish to experience again, but the service lovingly given has stayed with me.
Post a Comment