Sunday, November 2, 2008

Mid-Day Connection


When my oldest went off to first grade I cried. Cried! I couldn't imagine going from 8:30 in the morning till 4:15 pm without talking to him. What would he be thinking about? Who would he sit by? What if his zipper stuck? What if, what if, what if! I didn't let him see me weep, in fact, I was stoic--no, no I was cheerful! It was a great thing to go to school-- I knew, I had done it myself! I had been a student, it was fun! I had been a teacher, it was fun! He was going to love it.

Inside I was sobbing.

Then, I remembered lunch. Oh great, who was going to open his juice box for him? More worries... no wait, a note! It all came to me! A note. That was the ticket to all my woes. I could send him a love note everyday. It was like we were talking in the middle of the day, a bit one sided, but better than nothing.

I have since sent 2 more children off for the first day at school, lunch box in hand... note included. Some times the note is an ode to the child. A list of wonderful attributes, sometimes a reminder to bring home the trombone or to wipe the Oreo's off their lips before going back to class. Sometimes I make a poem from their name, a countdown till a major event or send a silly joke. One day I sent in a note, a testimony of what I believe and that I know they are remarkable kids. I figure I spend about 2 minutes a day... It isn't much, but it makes me smile and I feel a bit more connected while they are gone.

A month after my daughter started all day kindergarten this fall, I asked her what she liked most about school. She has lots of new friends, library, PE, Music, Art class, Choice Time, Centers, Calendar, new crayons a bus ride.... Her answer was simple and quick. "The note in my lunch."

I guess I'll keep at it.

P.S. Just in case you've enjoyed a peaceful Sunday without needing to be somewhere at a certain time (Lovely day!) Don't forget the change to Daylight Savings Time. Don't ask me which way we go. I just know we fall. However, I've tried for 34 years to remember whether we fall back ( landing on my big badooba) or Fall Forward (tripping and landing on my knees.) I fall so often, forward and back (Just call me Grace) I get this all confused. Hope you aren't late .... er... early, for wherever you need to be.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt relieved that they were gone for 6 hours. I rarely even made lunch, much less wrote a love note. First day of school I was ready to have a party!

GValleyGirl

Robin said...

Oh! Melissa, this is such a great idea. I'm going to do this tomorrow. And thanks for the reminder of DST. You know, Arizona doens't have DST.

Kimberly said...

I think this is so sweet - I got a little teary reading that your note was the favorite part of your daughter's day. I don't have kids yet, but will definitely remember this one for when I do!

Sally said...

I am inspired. I often put note's in Nathan's lunch, but now I'm going to add silly jokes. He will love it. He sometimes reminds me to put a note in if I forget for a day or two!

btw, we fall back, but your badooba is not big and wouldn't provide much cushion to land on. So when you fall back, make sure you are standing in front of the couch.

Anonymous said...

My Mom used to put notes in my lunch. Even in High School. I loved it, and had forgotten about it.

--LuLu

Emily said...

I love that you do this. Thanks for sharing it. I think it is such a small thing to do--but it has obvious, big (positive) consequences. I imagine being in elementary school and just having that mid-day reminder that you are loved, you get to go home to a loving mother (the day is half-way through, yay!), and where you came from (a loving family who cares)... all this helps a child to feel loved and helps them to make good choices... I really want to do this. I think that sense of feeling loved and feeling remembered is so incredibly valuable.

Kristen said...

I think it is amazing that you make sure to take those 2-3 minutes to do this. It is easy to get rushed and busy and think those little things don't matter. But, I think we all recognize, that it is those little things that matter. Sometimes they matter the most. You are a wonderful mom!

Linda Austin Hart said...

I used to write love notes to my kids (& husband) on occasion, but not everyday. Good jorb, Melissa!

As for setting clocks in Fall & Spring, I always have the same problem & I'm like a hundred years older than you, so I picture myself standing still and ask which sounds easier:
1. to fall back down , or to spring back down
and
2. to spring forward, or to spring back

I don't like falling either direction, but I don't know how to spring back unless I'm jumping on a trampoline.

super said...

I really liked this post. And I love the idea of writing notes. It's such a sincere way to show your children that you love them.

Laura said...

I love the idea of a note in their lunch box, only mine are going to say, "Make a new friends today" or "Stop talking when the teacher is, I'm sick of getting calls from the teacher." of course I'll put a smiley face with that one. Or how about, "go blow your nose, I'm sure it needs it."

Emily said...

Laura, ha! Yes. "Are you listening to your teacher? Listen and follow directions!" I tell Ruby this before we go to gymnastics. ;-)

Karen S said...

This is Sally's friend Karen. Couldn't help but comment. I recently sent my first to kindergarten and I cried too. A lot. She was having a hard time for several weeks, and so I continuously sent notes in her lunch box. I thought I would continue it every day..... until the teacher told me to stop. She said that it was making her cry every day because she it reminded her that she missed me. I stopped. It helped. But it made me sad. :(