Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Numbing

by Emily

Exhibit A: The Numbing

Dilbert

Joe clipped this cartoon from the local paper's funnies over 5 years ago. It still comes to mind at random times in life. Recently I thought of it in humorous terms as a SAHM. I think it translates pretty well, don't you?


Exhibit B: The Smothering


The Sword in the Stone

"Um, Merlin? How will we get by?" and then to the girl squirrel, "Go on! Go on! You've got lots of room!"

Those squirrels are so darn cute! This cartoon makes me laugh out loud. I love the choreography of the tails, the absolute certainty of the girl squirrel--absolutely certain that the boy squirrel is just as in love with her and she is with him.

It reminds me of my children and captures so well how I often feel. They're SO cute, and sometimes I think I'm about to go CRAZY CAKES on them if they do not "go on! go on!" or "leave me alone" or "go away" or realize that there is "lots of room" for all of us. Just like the Wart (future King Arthur) is trying to figure out how to "get by" the squirrel, I sometimes feel like I spend my entire day trying to "get by" my kids--there is so much to do! It is all so important (you know) like dishes, laundry, meal prep, and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning!

There is a story my Bossy sister Robin tells that I love. It goes something like this: while watching old family videos and nearly weeping at the cuteness and littleness of her children, she hears a horrible, horrible thing in the background. Here are these adorable squeaky voices of Hannah, Gabe, and Noah in all their smallness and sweetness. And there it is again--the horrible thing in the background. It is mom. Mom's exasperated, annoyed, I'm-about-to-go-CRAZY-CAKES-on-you-all-if-you-don't-knock-it-off-right-now voice.

Only, in Robin's telling of the story it is much funnier, and she'll say something about how surely that wasn't her in the background behind the scenes! That must have been some other wicked-step-mother. She felt nothing but love and never-ending-patience for her children. All the time. Every minute. Every day.

Exhibit C: The Moment

I know that the dishes and the laundry and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning can wait. I know that. But I don't always feel that. Bossy sister Melissa has a quote on her blog that I love, that I will steal and share (I think I need to laminate it and tape it to my forehead):

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” Anna Quindlen

So here's to the Numbing, the Smothering, and the Moment: Love is a Powerful Thing. At least that's what Merlin says to future King Arthur after their adventure as squirrels. I believe it, and I'll try not to forget it.

11 comments:

Kristen said...

This is a great post! It reminds me to slow down and enjoy the boys while I can. Austin will be leaving home in just a few years, and that is WAY too soon! I need to relax, be less selfish with my time, and enjoy the moments more.

Thanks for the darling reminder!

Joe said...

This could be expanded and turned into a wonderful essay. It should be.

DC Diva said...

I love that quote and I love Elder Ballard's (?) talk on motherhood in which he shared it.

At times, I am so that mother (and wife???!) in the background in the videos.

"Crazy cakes" -- love it. Totally stealing it.

Robin said...

Joe sounds like a professor of English.

I really do miss my babies. But I remember very well not being able to stand them at times. They drove me crazy many many times. But still, that won't stop me from telling young moms how lucky they are. Please humor me.

Robin said...

Joe sounds like a professor of English.

I really do miss my babies. But I remember very well not being able to stand them at times. They drove me crazy many many times. But still, that won't stop me from telling young moms how lucky they are. Please humor me.

Phoebe said...

Great thoughts on day-to-day life. I find that I don't just get that way with my family, but also with friends, callings, jobs, volunteering, and the list goes on!

Emily said...

I smiled the whole way through that clip!!! I forgot about that part!!!

Well said overall! I struggle to hold onto the "live in the moment" mentality.

Thanks for the reminder.

Sally said...

I loved this post. The video clip was priceless, so cute and charming. And I have always loved that Anna Quindlen quote on Melissa's blog.

Melissa said...

Great post. My kids and I loved watching the clip.

Love is a very very powerful thing.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Joe can write the essay and the title could be, "My Life as a Squirrel."
Kristen, Austin won't be leaving in a *few* years. . . it's only in 2 years! I can hardly believe it myself. Carpe diem.

And when a woman starts to go crazy cakes because of not only the kids but also because of her husband it's time for lunch with girlfriends.

Angie said...

Wow, what power Emily! I'm currently thick in a "crazy cakes" phase. It's so great to know I'm not alone and to see someone pointing a way to greater perspective. Thanks.
And thanks for the kind words about my apronstage comment! Thanks for coming over to my blog.