Remember the theme song from Cheers?
Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.
You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name.
Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.
You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name.
Well, the place they know my name-- in fact my voice, when I call,is my Pediatrician's office. I like the think it is the sheer number of children I haul in and out of there (5) that makes us so familiar, and not because we are there way too often. (well, we are there way too often, but not with the same child... you know, my kids love to share things, germs included.) I dont' know my own cell number, but I can recite the ped's number by heart...
Because I am Bossy, I've come up with a few things to make your relationship with the Pediatrician extra special ;)
(I'm a bit hyperactive with the thermometer... they told me to call if she hits 101.5 *and she has been 100.7* all day. Wouldn't you know it is Friday night. Don't all *possible* medical needs occur on Fridays???)
Because I am Bossy, I've come up with a few things to make your relationship with the Pediatrician extra special ;)
- Become good friends with the receptionist by treating her like the amazing woman she is. This will make a difference when you have a sick child and the office is extra busy
- Be On time. Call if you are running late. If your doctor is always late and you don't want to wait an extra hour, call them and ask if they are on schedule or if you can come 10 minutes later.
- Listen to the doctor, express your concerns, and expect that she/he will have the thoughtful answers. After my vast experience in parenting (que laugh track) my doctor really listens to me when I've done my homework and can site specific examples about my concerns. (Most recently the broken arm that didn't seem broken unless he tried to catch his fall or put his arms through the carseat straps.)
- Be interested. My doctor loves to tell me about her recent mission trips doing church work, her kids Halloween costumes (uber-creative!) and how she makes a perfect Thanksgiving Turkey. Becoming friends has been great, she is an amazing lady and a thorough doctor. She also has gotten to know me and trusts my maternal instincts.
- Be ready with your concerns and don't take too long. She is on a schedule, and besides, who wants to spend any extra time with small children in a doctors office?
- Follow up. When there is something that needs to be followed through with do it-- x-rays, blood tests, the entire antibiotic!!! Our doctor suggested a blood test for my 3 month old son for MRSA. Yes, MRSA! This was one of those times when I felt silly taking my Baby #5 in for a "diaper rash"... I was annoyed beyond belief. Disgusted that she thought I was a nasty housekeeper and didn't wash my hands (maybe a bit post-pardum hormonal too... and paranoid...) She was right though, he had MRSA. Thank goodness I listened to her and didn't brush it off. (he is fine now!)
(I'm a bit hyperactive with the thermometer... they told me to call if she hits 101.5 *and she has been 100.7* all day. Wouldn't you know it is Friday night. Don't all *possible* medical needs occur on Fridays???)
9 comments:
These are great ideas. I love my kid's ped. He is great. He talks directly to the kids and gets their input about what is going on, then he confirms details with me. He is generally fairly prompt with a few exceptions but rarely do I feel rushed. I feel like I have the time to ask the questions I have and that he follows up thoroughly and consistently. I want to thank Bossy Sister, Robin for referring me to Dr. Hanks.
Give Eve our love. I hope she feels much better very quickly!
We have become so close to our pediatrician over the years that he and his wife actually showed up at our son's wedding reception. We sent them an announcement but I never dreamed they would come because he is so busy and all. He said he wouldn't have missed it. He reminds me of Marcus Welby MD. Old TV show. I'm old.
I bet you have lots of jello and ice cream in your refridgerator this weekend.
Yep... your rules apply when seeing any doctor... even if it's your dog's veterinarian, a good relationship is a must.
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
Excellent advice Melissa. I wish I would have had this 20 years ago.
Seeing sweet Eve makes me miss her. I hope she is doing ok.
Moving last summer forced to start these kinds of relationships all over, and my relationship with my pediatrician and his staff was great! It is really worth the time and effort. Great advice.
Hey, she sounds like a great doctor!!! And you are a great mother!!!!
Seriously...YOU are Bossy??!! I love your office advice, my pediatrician also knows me...due to Oakley actually having something he had to take his medical dictionary out for, and Parker's repeated obsession with craming foreign objects up his nose...I swear....!!
Good bossing! You comment about Friday nights made me laugh. It's true. Do you know that 24 hour childrens' clinics and hospitals are busier at night than during the daytime? And I don't think it's because moms work or are less observan
The thing is, it still seems true for myself, even in my sixties. Whenever I have a need to see or talk with a real doctor it's on the weekend. Or on her day off.
One other thing: DON'T miss an appointment if you are near or past the age of 65. Doctors are NOT allowed to discontinue seeing an established patient because of age. BUT, they HATE dealing with Medicare (for many good reasons) and the gov' will let them dismiss a patient if they reschedule &/or miss an appt. more than once.
I feel so bad. I've been swamped and haven't checked in to Bossy for 5 days and didn't know she had her tonsils out until tonight!
Tell her I love her. I will phone.
Post a Comment