Thursday, March 12, 2009

Lettuce Wraps

I love a flexible recipe, one that can adapt itself to what you have in the cupboard. And I love a recipe that sneaks in veggies - more veggies than meat. This is also a pretty easy recipe, although my experience is that most recipes don't feel easy the first time. But I can tell this will be an easy recipe the second time.


Lettuce Wraps

3 Tablespoons peanut oil
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup chopped water chestnut
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup chopped green onion
2 teaspoons diced garlic
1 -2 teaspoons diced ginger
Sesame oil (drizzle to taste)

The mushrooms, carrots and onion - all ready to go.

Fry Sauce
Whisk together:
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar


10 Iceberg lettuce leaves
Mae Ploy sauce
I got this at Safeway.

1. Add half the oil to wok (I just used a large frying pan) and heat medium high adding half of garlic and ginger.

2. Add chicken and cook until done. Remove chicken and set aside.

3. Add rest of oil, garlic, and ginger and quickly saute mushroom, green onion, carrot, and waterchestnut - keep crisp.

4. Shred or dice chicken and add to veggies in wok. Pour fry sauce over all and quickly fry - keeping veggies crisp.

5. Drizzle sesame oil over all and mix in. Sesame oil can be strong so taste as you go.

6. Let each person assemble their own wrap. Serve with rice and Mae Ploy sauce for dipping (YUM).

Tips and Hints:
  • This is easier to make with a food processor. The first time it took me about 25 minutes including cooking time.
  • You can use any leftover meat: chicken, hamburger, steak. I used leftover pork chops (3 thick ones from Costco), shredded/chopped them in the Cuisinart and it made enough for at least 8 people (I added more veggies).
  • I used regular vinegar. You could also skip/exchange a few ingredients (water chestnuts, sesame oil, peanut oil) and it will be okay. Just not as fabulous!
  • I didn't use all the fry sauce.
  • Use brown rice for more fiber.
  • You can cut way back on the oil and sugar if you want - still even with this amount of oil you are getting much less than you would from, say, PF Chang.
  • Other veggies that would work: red and yellow bell peppers, zucchini, peas, and so on.
  • Sesame oil is wonderful. I make a quick stir fry about 3 times a month and the peanut oil, fresh ginger, garlic, and sesame oil is what makes it taste so darn good (the frozen stir fry veggies at costco are excellent).
  • You can also serve over rice.
  • Good enough for a party or company.
  • Tastes just as good the next day!

9 comments:

mandbrid said...

This sounds so good I can almost smell it... I'll definitely be trying this one!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of Mae Ploy? sauce?? Is it a regional grocery store brand? Does it have a lot of sodium in it?

DI

Robin said...

BRG - You should be able to buy Mae Ploy any place that has a good selection of Asian food. If you don't have much Asian influence where you live you may have to hunt it down, but it is worth the hunt.

400 mg sodium in 2 Tablespoons.

Sally said...

This looks so good! I am definitely going to make this. Thank you for sharing such a delicious recipe.

Emily said...

Perfect! I have leftover pork chops from last night! I think I'll do this tomorrow. Great timing. Thanks!

diane said...

I love lettuce wraps! Do you deliver?

Joe said...

Got to have it.

Anonymous said...

Delicious! Yum! Yum! :) It's really great to recycle leftover foods and turn it into something the family will love to have the next morning.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Tried it. Loved it. Definitely easier with food processor, especially since it's best if everything, including chicken, is diced, not chopped. We don't have Safeway and I couldn't find Mae Ploy, but it was still awesome. I read this last Thursday and thought I posted then, but guess not. I had the missionaries (incl. Diane's son) over for dinner a week and a half ago, took pictures, and was going to an awesome post on my blog, but have been too swamped to get to it yet.