Friday, March 6, 2009

Have more fun.

By Melissa
A while back my sweet 6 year old said to me, "Mom, when are we going to go to the Great Wall of China or the Chip Factory or somewhere fun?"

My jaw dropped. Then I picked it up and smiled. I adore that in her mind, the Great Wall of China is about equal to driving 20 minutes to the Herr's Chip Factory, taking a free tour and getting a handful of warm chips hot off the press. (Heavenly, by the way.) The fun is in doing something together as a family! TOGETHER!!! (and not cleaning.)

Make life more fun! Dance. Sing silly songs. Make the chores a game. Laugh! Have adventures in daily activities. Laundry will wait, so will the dishes, dust and dirt. Do something fun, like the Great Wall or the Chip Factory, today!

Tell me what fun thing you are doing today or this weekend, Let's inspire each other!

I'm off lunching with the ladies. What a treat! (we are celebrating a friend's newfound health and freedom! Hooray!!)

11 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh, I want to go to the Great Wall today! And if not there, then to the chip factory with you and your darling kids!

Instead, I will go to the March Madness Adult Game night at church tonight. It is my favorite activity of the year. Everyone brings games and food and we visit and then we end the evening with a big game of "Bump" which almost everyone participates in. Bill usually gets behind me, so I can stay in the game longer. He intentionally misses his shots until I get mine in. Eventually I get out anyway and he always ends up in the top two.

That will be fun.

mandbrid said...

I just finished a deep clean because the landlords are coming for their quarterly inspection... so the house is already ready for Sunday. So, tonight or tomorrow we'll take all the kids on a date to Red Robin - our favorite! Tomorrow I have a couponing class (hopeing to learn some new skills) and then I have to prepare a talk for sacrament mtg tomorrow. Hopefully we'll finish off Sunday with a game of Scrabble (I can't wait until the kids are old enough to play for real).
PS - I wanna go to the chip factory and The Great Wall of China too!

Sally said...

Thank you for the reminder to get out and have fun!

We are going to a kite festival this weekend! Also maybe to do some whale watching if I can talk the Mister into it. Plus a birthday party for a kiddo and hopefully a wii party at our house with another family.

My goal for the weekend is that my kids will play something sporty outside for at least one hour each.

Robin said...

OK. We will go to a fun place this saturday. MERIT BADGE CLINIC! Yay!

I would really like to take a walk through Garden of the Gods. So pretty and only 20 minutes away, just like the great wall.

Melissa said...

Ooooh, Sally! I like your goal. My kids are outside right now, it has finally warmed up enough and the snow has melted. Now it is MUDDY.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I already went to the chip factory with you, and it *was* fun. Let me know when you are planning on the trip to the Great Wall and I will tag along on that trip also. Perhaps we can stop along the way and have a picnic like we did before!

Picnics!! It doesn't have to be full course meal. Just pb&j sandwiches and a blanket or tablecloth are all that is needed in order to have a great time, and it costs so little.

Some of the best entertainment and memories with my kids was camping. Is there a campground near you? I know Melissa detests the idea of a campout in the wild, but more than half the fun is planning the trip, setting up camp, eating 3 meals outside, and exploring the area. How about an extended DAY camp - perhaps with another family - at a wooded area near you where there is a stream or pond with polliwogs, rocks & other treasures to discover.

You might consider a fam.hm.eve of making your own EASY little miniature stove out of 2 pop cans! See how here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Cool-Little-Miniature-Stove!/

Here is another idea using a tuna can: http://www.kruegerservices.com/fritz/osp/tuna-can.html

And a wood/kindling stove using a large #10(gallon) can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCdOFlBzNbY

Can you tell that I'm the RS provident living specialist? The ideas above are great for a 72 hr emergency kit and for basic family preparedness & survival!
!

Anonymous said...

I played most of today.... visited antique shops... spent $1 on a magazine... cheep cheep day. So, will most likely stay home this week-end and order Hubby to build me something out of wood...BUILD...*snaps whip* BUILD MY GOOD MAN!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Linda Austin Hart said...

One big plus about camping, whether it's a day trip or overnight: The kids can get as big a mess, and get as dirty as they want, and you can sit back on your reclining chaise lounge (be sure to take that along) and relax because your house is still going to be clean when you get home.

Oh, and they can run & scream all day long if they want.

Chiska said...

On the camping idea we like to set up a small tent in our living room sometimes. Makes a great place for naps and fun "camping" when it's still very snowy outside.

The library is our current fun place. When we go at story time that's the high light. When we go at other times sometimes we meet other kids there and they've introduced us to the exploration baskets on the shelves of shells, pinecones etc. Pretty fun.

Today my little guy has been singing "Let's Celebrate, Let's Celebrate." quite a lot so we may have to light candles and blow them out at dinner time. We have some candlestick candles that work really good for the brief encounter with fire.

Chiska said...

Just had to add that one way we "travel" is using placemats that I've collected in my travels. Tonight we "went" to different places: Paris, New England, and Alaska (always the favorite because of the animals). Makes it fun and doesn't "cost" much energy.

Emily said...

Joe took Ruby on a daddy daughter date for dinner. He was thinking about the cute little cafe down the street...Ruby was thinking about...BURGER KING (and their indoor playground).

It was a simple thing to do, but it was special. He told her the day before, "Hey, tomorrow I want to take you out for dinner, just me and you."

Ruby was amazed at the idea. They've done this before, but not planned in advanced and therefore anticipated as special.

It turned out to be a really great evening for them to talk, play, be silly (she's still so young and silly).

And bonus: to get out of the playground without a hitch, daddy said (after playing for awhile): Do you want to get in the car and go get an ice cream? (Wendy's frosty!)

Such a small thing, but it means so much.

Great post, Melissa! Important reminder.