Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I am woman, hear me roar

by Sally


March is Women's History month. Throughout history, women have been disadvantaged and abused in many ways. I absolutely consider myself a feminist (I believe that women are equal to men, and that women and men should have the same opportunities and rights) and believe that it is important to reflect on how far women have come over the past 150 years. I do not believe in the good old days. I take for granted the right to vote, the right to own property, have a job, and come and go as I please, but women did not always have those rights, and in fact, we still have a long way to go. I will summarize the statistics and data to simply state that American women are still grossly underpaid (when doing the exact same work) and underrepresented in almost every industry and level of government. Sexism still exists everywhere, whether it is intentional or not.


This month, I am going to teach my children about how American women had to fight for the basic right to vote. 2009 marks the 161st anniversary of the first American Women's Rights convention. That the convention even happened was revolutionary. in 1848, women could not vote, hold elective office, attend college, or earn a living. If married, they could not make legal contracts, divorce an abusive husband, or gain custody of their children. The delegates at that convention called for a broad range of reforms that would dramatically improve the status of women in American life. The demand for women's right to vote was the most controversial reform proposed at the convention. Did you know that from the time it was first formally proposed in 1848, gaining the right to vote took the women's movement 72 years of work to achieve? Sufferagists were ostracized from their families, jailed for protesting, locked in mental institutions, but they fought hard. Many of the sufferagists were also fighting to end slavery--of the 5 female organizers of that first convention, 2 were actively involved in the Underground Railroad. I thank heaven for their work. Shame on the rest of the country. 72 years! 72 years that women like you and me had to ask and fight for the right to vote and be represented in government. It's shameful, as so many issues of human rights history are.



The 19th amendment to the constitution, granting women the right to vote, was finally ratified in 1920 by a margin of only one vote! British women were fighting for the right to vote at the same time. There are still countries without equal voting rights for men and women (I know Saudi Arabia does not have equal voting rights).


The story of the fight to get the vote is fascinating. Does anyone know of a good movie on this topic? Or a great book? I want to learn more.


Women are amazing. So are men! I am deeply grateful for the rights I have today that I usually take for granted. I am grateful that my husband has those same rights as well. All humans should. I hope that women and men will continue to work for equal rights, not only here in America but on behalf of women and people in every country. Women are needed in both business and political leadership. I love this quote:

"Focusing on bringing women into leadership in this critical time is not a distraction from solving our problems, it is solving our problems." Marie Wilson, The White House Project



I loved having a demanding career. I am grateful that I was able to get an advanced degree and work really hard to see a lot of success in my career. I had many opportunities that my own mother never had. Now I am in an even more demanding career, that of raising my children and doing all that I can to have a truly happy family. I do believe that there is a season for all things, and I know that I'm doing what is best for me and my family in this season. I also know that there will come a time when it is my season to do more out in the world. And I am going to make a difference even beyond the walls of my home, because I know that I can and that it is the right thing to do. I hope that all women will work hard to honor the history before us by teaching others, getting involved in government, and always taking advantage of the right to vote.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one thing I insisted my daughter do is to get a college education.... I told her the rest of her life she could do whatever she wanted.... just get that degree I told her. Having it not only landed her a great job, but when she later decided to be a full time stay at home mom it also made her a much better mother. Smart Mom = Good parenting decisions.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Robin said...

Excellent post Sally! I would be very interested in a book on this subject. If there isn't one, perhaps we should write it!

I totally take for granted that I have rights, and a master's degree. I can get a good job (outside of the home)when ever I want. I appreciate what you said about your "even more demanding career" of raising your family.

It's amazing that we only got rights 80 years ago!

mandbrid said...

Very well said - Thanks!

wenderful said...

I loved this Sally. What a great reminder of how far we've come and how much more work there is for us to do. I'm going to talk to Maddy about it. I'd also like to know of a book or movie.

Kristen said...

This is such an important aspect of American history to be aware of. Thank you for enlightening me more.

It is amazing to think about what we take for granted that our great grandmothers didn't enjoy. I have always admired women like Amelia Erhardt who moved forward into new frontiers when it was nearly impossible to do so.

I, too, would be interested in a book or movie about this.

Anonymous said...

Sally-great post! I watched a great movie when I was in grad school called Iron Jawed Angels(a true story of the suffragettes). It is an amazing movie and it truly opened my eyes to the incredible struggle these women fought on our behalf. I think it is put out by HBO films.

Paige said...

Mary Poppins! That's all I know about women's right to vote and it's all I need to. Make them memorize:
"Cast off the shadows of yesterday, shoulder to shoulder into the fray, our daughter's daughters will adore us and they'll sing in grateful chorus, Well done, Sister Suffragettes!"

Oh great. I'll be singing it all day.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I am grateful that my daughters have not had to face the prejudices of the world in which I grew up. You have so many more opportunities than my generation had.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Regarding our roles as women Julie B Beck said: "There will come a day when we will all remember what we knew before we were born. We will remember that we fought in a great conflict for this privilege. How do we meet this responsibility? We daily put our energies into the work that is uniquely ours to do.”

Linda Austin Hart said...

Russell M Ballard pointed out that although there is no more significant contribution we can make to society than being mothers, there are *other* covenants we made with the Lord by which we will be judged. Those include "a divine mandate to help save souls, TO LEAD THE WOMEN OF THE WORLD. . . and to build the kingdom of God."

I doubt that there has ever been a greater time nor opportunity in our history for women to bring about change in our world. In this month's V.T. message Elder Robert S. Wood of the Seventy says that with the many blessings and opportunities we are given comes a great responsibility:

“We need to be vigorously engaged in the world. If our schools are inadequate or destructive of moral values, we must work with fellow members of the community to bring about change. If our neighborhoods are unsafe or unhealthy, we must join with the civic-minded to devise solutions. If our cities and towns are polluted, not only with noxious gases but soul-destroying addictions and smut, we must labor to find legitimate ways to eliminate such filth. … We have the responsibility to be a blessing to others, to our nation, to the world.”

We can do it!

Katrina said...

Did you know black men could vote before women? I always thought that was interesting.