Monday, March 16, 2009

PARTY TIME: Games and Grub

by Sally

It's time to have some fun!

Last week I hosted a game night. I called it "Games and Grub". We ate delicious food. We chatted while we waited for more friends to arrive. We played Taboo (remember that game?) which was very entertaining and a perfect game to play in a large group. During the game we laughed and yelled and had a good time. After we played Taboo, we talked and talked. And we ate more delicious food. Best of all, my friends and I got some girl time and as always, our friendships were strengthened.



Chatting and waiting for more to arrive.

It was very easy, and you should do it! Here are some tips:

  • Decide the date (we did it on a Thursday) and invite two to three times as many people as you want to attend.

  • Ask your guests to bring their favorite snack. I suggested that they bring their favorite thing from Trader Joe's. They were happy to share their favorites and it was great to try all these new foods!

  • Tidy up your house. It does not have to be perfect.

  • Provide drinks, cups and plates, and one snack. The rest will arrive with your guests!

  • Have some games ready in advance. I failed on this part! I just assumed that I had complete, functioning games in my game cupboard. Apparently I forgot, temporarily, that I have curious children. Get your games out and make sure they have all the right parts and the batteries are working.

  • Games that are good for a group of any size: Taboo, Scattergories, Catch Phrase, Pictionary, Mad Gab, what else?

  • Music. I put the ipod on Jack Johnson, always reliable background party music.
It was low-stress for me and I am so glad I did it. Everyone who came had fun. I think am going to do it again next month!

10 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love game nights! I started a semi-monthly game night with some co-workers and we always have the best time. I like the games you suggested because they are fast paced. A couple others I like are Apples to Apples, Pit, and Guesstures. Thanks for the tips :-)

Tracy said...

Sally, you are so much FUN! I love game nights too--though ours are always with couples. Super idea to do it with just the girls! I want to try it! Hurdle #1: remembering I want to try that! :)

Melissa said...

I would love to come to your house for a game night. :) Did you do this after your kids were in bed or did they join in the party?

I think I might try this....

Sally said...

Meliss, we did it at 7:30 but nobody came until 8:00. So, after the kids are in bed. Also, it was neccessary to have Jason home and on kid patrol lest any pj'd littles come running out to swipe a snack.

Emily said...

I was just going to ask the same question: what time did you start? Do you think if you started at 8, women would be showing up at 8:30? Just wondering.

Sounds fun! I think next month we'll try a women's dinner night, out to eat. That sounds nice!

diane said...

Do baby showers count as monthly parties? I hope so.

wenderful said...

Ooooh, I wanna come to your next party!
We bought my sister and her family the best game for Thanksgiving. It's called Quelf. It's crazy silly quirky fun. We play it every time we're together.
You've inspired me to have a game party.

kate said...

As a lucky participant, I'll chime in that it was indeed good fun. And, Sally, something was added to the evening by a broken game and corroded batteries. How else would we have discovered Carolyn's I-can-fix-anything trait?

And (at least for me) the 30 minutes late was due to my husband (aka babysitter) running late. The nerve!

Thanks Sally...looking forward to the next one!

Emily said...

Diane,baby showers DO NOT COUNT. While they are usually (hopefully) fun, enjoyable, etc.-- they are not always that way, and going to them monthly can take its toll. Sounds like you REALLY need a girlfriends' night (with lots of chocolate and laughter).

Linda Austin Hart said...

Great idea! How long did it last? It's funny that when I was your age my girlfriends and I would stay out late, until at least 11:30. Sometimes we'd just be parked in the driveway talking for hours. Now that we have no little ones at home, and no jobs to go to in the morning, bookclub, planning mtgs, and other girls' nites out end much earlier. I still haven't figured out if that is because we are less desperate to be out of the house, or because we are older and simply lack the energy to keep going much past 9:30.