We love The Story of Ferdinand, written in the 1930's by Munro Leaf & illustrated by Robert Lawson. The story is beautiful, the pen and ink illustrations are those of which you fall in love. Ferdinand's eyes, his mother's expressions, his surprise at a bee's sting--Lawson nails every detail, nuanced expression, and landscape.(If you have been to Ronda, Spain, or Andalucia, you will recognize how accurate these illustrations are!)
This is a book I don't mind reading to my children again and again.
My husband loved the book as a child (a gift from a radical auntie), calling it "Ferdinand Ze Bull!" I didn't read The Story of Ferdinand until I was married to him, in my late-twenties-- his copy all tattered, masking tape on the binding so old it was crusted over, hardened, and torn. The pages completely loose.
We finally bought a replacement copy for our own children--but the original cannot be thrown out. I think we'll frame a few favorite illustrations.
I love the affirmation of the story: that just because you're a powerful, strong, and fierce bull, doesn't mean that you have to fight. More than that, though, I love the message of a mother who loves her child (minor theme). And I love the message of an individual being true to herself despite what others expect of her (in this case a "he", but it crosses gender lines easily enough).
I like to not overthink it too much, in fact, reading about all the politics that have been forced onto this story as an allegory (it lends itself easily to that) sort of turns me off.
Mostly I think it appeals to me because I've never been much of a "traditionally competitive" personality. It's not in my nature to be competitive to the point of it costing those with whom I'm competing. Plus, being a loser just feels awful--and instead of that motivating me to want to be The Winner, it made me not want to compete. Hurt feelings and all that...I'm uncomfortable with winners and losers, I tend towards wanting everyone to be happy and peaceable. So my inner child loves this story, and so does my mothering-self.
Who knew it was such a radical book? Check out rocker Elliot Smith's (RIP) Ferdinand tat on his bicep. ---> If you're going to have a tat, that is a totally cool one.
Also, Fall Out Boy (an alt-rock band) titled an album From Under the Cork Tree, an obvious reference to the book.
The Real Story of Ferdinand (the "real wiki story") can be found here.
(To Robin & my Mom: Ferdinand reminds me a bit of you, as he just loves to sit and smell the flowers)
9 comments:
I grew up with the story as well. I love that you found a new/used copy and will be keeping the old one as well. If it does fall to pieces then just save what you can, frame them and hang them on the wall.... it's the latest craze in home decor. Well, that's what I heard anyway...
KEWL tatoo!
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
What a great book review! I don't think I've ever read this book--it is now on my library list. Thank you!
This has been one of my favorites since childhood! I love it now because it also suggests that judgement of a moment in a bull's life might not be a reflection of the true bull. I sent it to my husband when we were dating and his mother knew it even though he didn't. Kind of fun. I'm off to find it on my bookshelves. Thanks!
My mom used to read this story to us when we were kids, but I don't think I've read it to my kids. I'll go down and get a copy for our family today!
Iv'e never read this but it sounds like I need to! I LOVE to sit and smell the flowers.
I added it to my library list :) Great post!
Thanks! I think we'll be checking that one out soon. I like Children's Book reviews, especially from people I like about books that are really good!
I now remember this book from my own childhood, but had forgotten about it, which is probably the reason my bossy girls aren't familiar with it. We went to the library tons, & there were librarians in your elem. schools, so I'm surprised they never sent one of you home with it. I think the original publisher goofed when it came to the book cover "curb appeal." I guess someone figured that out, because look at this newer edition http://www.amazon.com/Story-Ferdinand-Reading-Railroad-Books/dp/0613301447/ref=ed_oe_h .
Yep, Robin & I do LOVE to smell, plant, arrange, and even eat flowers.
I love, love, love that book! It reminds me of my two oldest boys. So Ferdinand-ish. But I can never find it at my library. I'll have to put a hold on it I guess.
Post a Comment