Monday, March 9, 2009

Grief

by Sally

Joyce, years ago, with one of my little ones.

Two weeks ago yesterday, I lost someone who I love. Her name is Joyce Ann Peterson Jarrard. Joyce had four kids, who are all grown and married and having families of their own. She was a really wonderful, sweet, kind, fun woman. She has worked hard her whole life to raise her children well, serve in her church, be a good friend, sister and daughter, and also helped support the family by working on and off. She was a great person. And such an incredibly loving and supportive grandma. We lived in the same town as her for over 10 years (we moved away last year), and I am lucky that I got to know her well and love her. She had a positive impact on my life, frequently. I really love her and I care about her family. She died of cancer. It started as colon cancer more than a year ago, and they thought she beat it, but it came back and took her. She was only 59. We knew it was coming and if that made it easier on those of us who care about her, I hate to think what it would be like if we hadn't had warning.



The week after she died, I was on an emotional rollercoaster. One minute I would be distracted and feel normal, then 10 seconds later I felt like my soul was being runover by a train. I was devastated by Joyce's death. But I felt like I should have been able to cope with it much, much better. I have had over 7 months to deal with this knowledge, that this would happen. We went to visit Joyce in November, and while I hoped I would see her again at least one more time, I knew it was unlikely and I really mourned her after that trip. I thought it had sunk in that I would lose Joyce in my life, and my heart ached for her beloved children and grandchildren and husband.



Instead, in the week following her death, I could hardly function. I didn't want to get out of bed. I cried all day and I could not pull myself together. One of the many things I've learned over the past few weeks is that it's very difficult to prepare for the death of a loved one. I thought I was prepared, but I was wrong, and I don't know if you can truly prepare for such a thing.



I'm so sad that she is really gone and I've lost her in my life. I am so very sorry for her children, husband, her sister and brother, all of her relatives and friends. Surely her family's grief dwarfs mine, and I wish I could somehow give them comfort.



The saying that you don't know what you have until it is gone is true! I didn't realize the magnitude of Joyce's impact on my life until I spent a week reflecting on what she has meant to me.



I met Joyce because she is my husband's aunt. We became friends, and over the course of 10 years, she and I saw each other about once a month but sometimes much more frequently. If we hadn't talked for 2-3 weeks she would call me, then I would call her back when the kids were in bed or occupied, and we'd talk on the phone for at least an hour each time. I loved to visit with her and we could talk forever. My husband was traveling frequently at that time, and she brought me dinner every 3-4 months just out of the blue, for probably 5 years! When she finished chemo last year, we were packing up to move, and she brought me dinner even though she was still sick from chemo! I protested when she called me but she said she wouldn't take no for an answer.

Joyce helped throw baby showers and came to the hospital when each of my kids were born. She had the cutest smile and a great, friendly laugh that filled a room. She was 100% sincere and she cared very much for the people around her. She told me a lot about her family, her concerns and love for her children and grandchildren. She was a very proud grandma and I am so sorry her grandchildren have lost her. We talked frequently when Joyce's parents lived with Joyce & Craig, and Jason and I would go with the kids to take them (my husband's grandparents) to In-n-Out for lunch. We had our son's birthday party at her house last summer because we were in boxes to move. We had lots of holidays and get-togethers at her house and at ours.

Joyce loved to play games, one of her favorites was CatchPhrase. She always had toys for her grandkids and always got them out when my kids were there. She showed a sincere, loving interest in my children. She loved her family so much, and her extended family. She was an important person in many lives, not just her immediate family, but her nieces Becky and Jennie, her sister-in-law Mary, and the children she worked with at church, whom she adored. My mother-in-law counted Joyce as her best friend and is heartbroken at her loss. Joyce's life, every bit of it, was a benefit to those around her.



Joyce helped me to know my mother-in-law better. I would see many good qualities in Joyce, because I saw her so frequently, and then easily identify those same good qualities in my MIL. Being close to Joyce helped me to really love my mother-in-law, who I now count as one of my best friends.



I am really going to miss Joyce. Joyce being gone redefines my relationship with the world, in a small way, but nonetheless--the world is changed. It's hard to believe. Going to the funeral last weekend was therapeutic, and helped me to accept that this is what must be. It was beautiful to see her children and grandchildren and the strength of their love for each other. It was amazing to see the hundreds of people at her funeral, and uplifting and inspiring to hear her sister, children and friends speak about her. I was impressed to realize that while Joyce was special in my life, she was that way for many people. What an incredible legacy.



I do believe that I will see Joyce again, and get to spend as much time with her as I like. I know that her husband, children and grandchildren will get to hug and kiss and play and make silly jokes with her again. I am grateful for this, and I know she is with her parents now and I do believe that she is out of her pain and probably very happy. But until we get to see her again, we will truly miss her.

The most important thing I have learned is that I don't want to wait until I am forced to reflect on someone's impact on my life. I want to appreciate, deeply, the love and kindness of my friends and family--right now. I want to tell them how positively they impact my life and that I love them. I hope you will too.



Joyce, I will always remember you as a good friend to me. I am so grateful that I lived by you and got to have you in my life. Thank you for being so wonderful. We love you, Aunt Joyce.

13 comments:

Kristen said...

This is a very touching tribute. I am glad you had the priveledge of having Joyce in your life and I am so sorry for your loss. One sentence really made me think, and reminded me of when my father-in-law passed away from pancreatic cancer with just one month's notice. You said, "We knew it was coming and if that made it easier on those of us who care about her, I hate to think what it would be like if we hadn't had warning."

This is such a true statement. I wasn't particularly close to my FIL, but I was suprised how deeply saddened I was when he died.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories of Joyce with us. I can tell how much you love her and will miss her.

You and all her loved ones are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Sally... how sorry I am for your loss. Even if we have a lifetime to prepare for the loss of someone we love, it is never ever enough time. Hugs to you.

DI

Emily said...

Sally this makes me cry. I had the pleasure of meeting and visiting with Joyce a few times, and she really was a lovely and kind, generous woman. This is a beautiful tribute to her, I can tell that she really did touch your life.

I love you. ((hugs))

Melissa said...

This is beautiful Sally. What an amazing woman she was. ((Hug))

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sally. I miss her very much. I am going to send this link to her husband. I know he would appreciate reading your tribute.

Nortorious said...

What a sweet post. It's so hard to post about these types of things because it feels like an insignificant medium at times. I'm glad you shared your feelings about her, she sounds like she was a wonderful person.

wenderful said...

It's so hard to lose someone that you love. What a wonderful tribute to your aunt. I'm sure she knows how you feel about her. It's an important reminder to live each day to the fullest.

Tracy said...

Oh Sally, I'm sending you a cyber hug. I'm so sorry. What beautiful words that I'm so glad you wrote! I know that anyone who has lost someone they love, loves to hear any memory or thought about that person from others who knew them. Joyce's family will love reading this. Thinking of you and thanks for the reminder.

Tracy said...

(The rest of her family, that is!)

Linda Austin Hart said...

I cried.
The summer before last, when Lainey was born, Joyce, Judy & I sat in your kitchen. We laughed & cried, about babies, aging, & some of the funny, tender, and often difficult common threads that bind us together as women. A few months later you called & told me she had cancer. After I got off the phone I thought about Joyce & I cried.
In the Spring, when there was a possibility you might be moving away from Danville, you thought she was going to be alright. But you were uncertain about the move, in part because you knew how much you would miss being near Joyce. I could understand that because she was family, a *genuine* friend, who loved you. I loved her for that. On the phone a few months later, in stifled sobs, you told me Joyce was dying. I listened to the grief in my beautiful daughter’s voice & I cried, for Joyce, & for you.
Over the next few months I often thought about Joyce - what a sweet, fun-loving, caring, & sincere person she was. You tried to talk with me about her a few times, but it was hard on you. I’d hear your voice waver or see tears welling up in your eyes, & as I listened, I would try not to cry.
Two weeks ago I learned that Joyce died. We talked, & I cried because you were alone. I listened to your words & heard the devastating heartache in your voice, but I was a thousand miles away & I couldn’t hug you. I hung up the phone and wept.
For 3 days after we talked some insignificant thing would trigger thoughts of Joyce, & your loss, & I would cry a little more.
We talked after you attended her funeral, & I knew you would be okay.
Today I read your beautiful tribute to Joyce & your words of heartfelt grief. Once again, as I had many times over the past months, I thought of my sister, your namesake, who for over 46 years I’ve missed terribly, because she died too young. Of course, I cried.
But when I read of your certainty that you would see her again, & be able to spend as much time with her as you like, I understood. And this time, with tears of joy, I cried.
I love you,
Mom.

Robin said...

Mom, that was a very nice comment. Sally, thanks for writing this about Joyce. She is an example to us all and I am thankful that she was such an important part of your life.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sally

janelle said...

That was a beautiful tribute to my mom. Thanks for loving her.