Women need women.
All through elementary, middle, and high school I wanted a best friend. Someone I could buy a friendship bracelet for. I had friends, but not a *best* friend. Even in college, I had fun roommates, but still no *best* friend.
Until I met Roland. He was my best friend. But, (you knew there would be a but here, right?) but he wasn't a girl. When I went on and on about a topic I could tell he was trying to keep his eyes from rolling back in his head. I knew I needed a girl friend. Women need women. I think men are fine without men, but women need women.
As newlyweds we had lots of friends. Roland played basketball at Boise State University and everyone wanted to be friends with us. I loved those friends. We did fun and exciting things together. We were young and beautiful. But still, not a *best* friend in the group. I always felt a little unsure of myself and a little lonely, even when we were having fun.
When I was 28 we moved into a new neighborhood, and sure enough those friends faded. And my need for a friend, a *best* friend, grew. I remember going to church in our new ward, looking around and wondering who I could possibly find as a friend. Slowly I made friends. I met wonderful women who I admired and enjoyed. One day I was on a walk with one of those beautiful women, Ann, and I told her how someone had mentioned to me to watch out for the cliques at church. I was bothered by it and didn't want to be perceived as a cliquish girl. Ann stopped dead in the street and said, "Oh, don't listen to that silliness. It's just silly." she waved her hand as if to sweep it off the table and I fell in love with her. I knew she was going to be my *Best* friend. I wanted to hug her right then, I was so relieved, but I didn't want to scare her off. So I acted all cool.
Choosing Ann as a best friend meant that Suzanne would be part of the bundle. I admired Suzanne. She was stunning. And her children were beautiful. And her husband too. She was gracious and kind and well mannered.
Our friendships grew through gardening. I had a new yard and took as many plants as they would give me. They shared all their garden secrets. Ann walked all the time and would stop at my house, interrupting dinner, to tell me what bugs were eating my petunias, show me how to prune my overgrown roses, dead head my perennials and so on. Suzanne would call and invite me to shop for flower pots. The three of us would head off together and laugh more than we shopped. Never did I feel so at home with women who weren't my sisters.
Their kids are older than mine by a few years. So I watched them go through the teenage years (quite gracefully) and weddings and now grandchildren. I copied them. I ran to them for advice. I could complain and worry about my children to them and feel safe. I knew they loved my kids and would always love them.
Suzanne, Me, Ann - BFFsThey helped me through my parent's divorce and then we helped Ann through her divorce. I think it was the divorces that really jelled the friendships, really made us more than friends, like sisters. They were one of the major the reasons I didn't want to move from Boise. I literally thank God for them.
You can't take a friendship like that for granted. I don't.
My parents always told me to be picky about who I hung out with. That advice still rings true. But finding a BFF doesn't always happen naturally. Here is my advice on how to find that Best Friend:
"What To Look For In A Best Friend"
- Trustworthiness. This means no gossip. Not even about people you don't like. It's easier to confide in someone who is confidential. You are safe.
- Humor. Someone who can laugh when things go wrong and can laugh at herself, even if she is crying.
- Honesty. She's going to gently tell you that you need a new hair stylist, you need to be nicer to your husband, and give you the advice you really need to hear.
- Kindness. A friend with a generous spirit and compassionate heart can make life easier. I once hosted a wedding lunch in my back yard and Ann and Suzanne came over very early in the morning and cleaned my yard, straightening leaves on the plants and fluffing dirt.
- Confidence. Its so nice to be with a confident woman who trusts herself to do what is right.
14 comments:
My BFF lives thousands of miles away since we moved to Virginia.... I miss her very much. BFF's must be cultivated and tended to if a person wants a BFF. They don't always happen naturally... you are so right about that!
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
This is a beautiful post, Robin. When we moved far away from home, I prayed, quite literally for a best friend. The way I see it, one best friend, a good best friend like the kind you describe, is all you need. It's nice to have more of course, but one is enough.
I found one! I feel so lucky!
Amen, bossy sister. Amen.
I have often admired the friendship you, Ann, and Suzanne have. They are amazing women and I hope to someday have the same type of friendship that goes so deep. I have got some dear, best friends, but what you have is truly special and unique!
Way to make me cry! So wish I had your gift for words! Our threesome is irreplacable to me...just knowing you both are there, be it 1000 miles or not, is beyond description for me!
Thanks for the lovely tribute!
BFF
Suz
Very insightful and nice post. As my wife and I have moved across the country (three times), I have seen the happiness that a good friend has brought to her life.
I do disagree emphatically with this statement though, "I think men are fine without men." This is false. I only bring it up because I believe that it's a common misconception among women. Men do need other men, and they need time alone with them. I know that sounds somewhat silly, but the bonds men form through playing sports, performing manual labor, providing service, or just hanging out are essential to raising good boys, and strong families. Good friends are an extention of positive role models you hope your sons will have growing up. Good male relationships will reflect positively in your partners parenting and spousing. :)
Dolphins Barn - excellent point. Men need men. My husband works so hard and spends all his freetime with the family - he doesn't "hang out" with the guys much anymore. But I know he really enjoys guy time.
That picture brings a smile to my face, because my mom is truly happiest when you and Ann are around. Beautiful post. I'm going to call my best friend right now and thank her for being in my life!
This is a great post. I never really had a
'bestie' until I moved to Colorado. It is truly a gift.
This post makes me want to be a better friend to the besties in my life!
I think it's ok if Roland is your best friend, as long as he isn't your best girlfriend.
Thanks Robin - that made me cry and laugh! I miss the gardening and sharing of plants-I need you to move back and buy a house with a yard that needs some of these plants back - they are taking over the place! I think that Suzanne and I both need to move too and buy a house that has a yard in disrepair so that we can transfer some of our exsisting plants and start all over again! I'll look at my plants and to me they say "Robin" or "Suzanne", because that is who shared them with me. Life is crazy, and seems to picking up some pace (zooming by at mock speed) I'm trying to ignor this because it means that I'm getting older! But neither distance or how busy we get at times changes this amazing friendship. My life is so rich because of these two amazing ladies - I can't put it into words - except that I love you both like sisters! And we need to get together soon! Ann
Three beautiful women I have the pleasure of knowing. Great post, Robin.
I loved this post. I've actually been thinking about friends a lot lately, and was wishing that I had a lifelong best friend. I have good friends, and maybe some of my friendships will turn into the kind of relationship that you have with Ann and Suzanne. Thanks for your words of wisdom!
Post a Comment