Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Par-Tay

Parties use to be monthly, even weekly affairs back when our grandparents were young. In the last 40 years parties have really suffered. But with the economy stuttering, parties are making a comeback. It is good cheap fun and it takes your mind off of financial woes! There are two kinds of parties: big ones and small ones.

Big parties usually mean invitations that are mailed and require R.S.V.P.s, a theme, decorations, impressive food, entertainment, and lots of planning. Big parties include: New Year’s Parties, Milestone Birthdays, Baby/Bridal Showers, Super Bowl Parties, Christmas Parties, 4th of July Parties, and Halloween Parties.

Small parties include family birthday parties, BBQ’s, game nights, and spontaneous get togethers. Small parties are easy and can happen with a phone call or email invite. One of my favorite small parties happened when we were stuck in a blizzard, I mean a full blown scary blizzard, for 3 days. At the end of the 3rd day I called the neighbors and invited them to our home for lunch. I made a big pot of potato soup, rolls, cookies and sliced up every veggie we had. We were all thrilled to see someone new after 3 days of being cooped up in our homes. It was a great noisy party. It lasted all day.

Here are a few ideas to help you pull off a party without much effort:
  • Don’t worry about your house. Worry about who to invite and what to eat. No one really cares about your house. Just make sure it smells good. No one wants to party in a house that smells like feet.

  • Don’t over think the guest list. Just make sure you have at least 2 fun loving people who know how to make conversation in the group (besides you, of course). Don’t invite people you feel “obligated” to invite. They can throw their own party. And don’t be afraid to tell people if they need to get a babysitter.
  • Make the food simple. Something salty (chips, nuts, pretzels) something sweet (cookies, brownies, M&Ms) something healthy (veggies, fruit) and something to drink (we drink pop at our parties). It’s okay to let guests to bring something simple if they offer to help. It’s also good to have food that is interactive, like fondue, ice cream makers, make your own scone, or a chocolate fountain (this would be a great present for me). Don’t be afraid to put people to work in the kitchen doing fun easy tasks – it makes them feel like they belong.

Here are 2 easy make-ahead recipes that are a hit at every party:

Feta Spread:
1 jar red peppers (about 1 cup)
2/3 cup sundried tomatoes
½ jar pesto (2/3 cup)
Garlic
2 green onions
Splash lemon juice
2 cups feta cheese
6 T mayo
Splash hot sauce

Chop garlic (2 cloves) in food processor add rest of ingredients except feta – process. Stir in feta by hand. Serve with bagel chips, pita chips, crackers, veggies. So yummy!

Sweet Chex Mix:
6 cups Honey Graham cereal (store brand is good)
6 cups Corn chex (store brand)
1 cup cashews (or any nut)
1 cup coconut

Bring the following to boil for 3 minutes (High Altitude – 4 Minutes)
1 cup Karo
1 cup sugar
¾ cup butter

Pour over cereal and cool on wax paper. Break apart and store in sealed container.

  • Play music loud. Not James Taylor – he is too serious. James Brown is more like it. The soundtrack for "Muppets in Space" is perfect (really). You have to play the music loud so people start talking loud and then they think they are having fun because they have to raise their voices. It really works.

  • Think about your lighting. Is it flattering? Light some candles and light the fireplace too.

  • Paper plates and cups. Get the big plastic cups and have sharpie markers so people can decorate their cups. Give a prize to the coolest cup.

  • Introduce people to each other and brag about them. They will feel great and your party will be great.

  • Have a mixer or two planned if people don’t know each other. I love Liar Liar. People write their name on a paper and then write 2 or 3 things that are unusual about themselves that others might not know (homecoming queen, ate a rattlesnake, piloted a submarine) . You call 3 people up and read one of their items and then all 3 people tell a story about how it was them. People try to decide who is telling the truth. Great fun.

  • Have a game that pitches boys against girls. It forces the men to talk to each other and it feels flirty to compete against your husband. He’s so handsome!

  • About halfway into the party pull something warm and yummy out of the oven like pizza, cinnamon rolls, cheesy French bread, potato skins. This forces people to mix and mingle with new people.

  • As people start to leave be sure to walk them to the door and thank them for coming.

Now – don’t be expecting lots of invitations to parties just because you threw one. You will be disappointed. You aren’t throwing this party so that you’ll be invited to parties. Most people don’t throw parties. You do it because you are a fun person who loves your friends. And they will love you.

Now it's time to par-tay!

19 comments:

Robin said...

One more thing - if you are feeling nervous or worried about throwing a party (normal way to feel), do it with a friend! It is easier and more fun and if the party is a flop you can blame her!

Emily said...

Excellent suggestions! I especially find MUSIC and FOOD to be very important! It is fun to throw a party at Christmas if you have your lights up, it feels so festive!

Party Music Suggestions: Roy Orbison, Bob Marley (reggae is great party music), Jack Johnson

Have the music on BEFORE people arrive, like 20 minutes before, then when they arrive, they feel like they have just walked into a PARTAY in full swing! FUN!

NOW GO HAVE FUN!

These suggestions, Robin, are fantastic! I want to go to one of your parties!

Emily said...

EXCLAMATIONS POINTSSSS!!!!!!!!

Jenibelle said...

Wow! I need to find myself a copy of Muppets in Space, a little known gem I guess.

We have a Soup party every year before Christmas, people call me and ask when it is. This year it's the 13th. Everyone brings a big pot of their most scrumptious soup, we have french bread, desserts. We sing around the piano (just like a Bing Crosby movie) we play with my friends music pipes, sometimes Santa comes, the Rent a Carol from the high school stops by, it's alot of fun!!! I am going to use some of your suggestions though~

R A C H A E L said...

Yes! The Feta dip. I have been raving about it to Damon! YUM. And I am going to have a party now. Ours is usually a superbowl party....

Anonymous said...

Oh, Robin... what a fantastic post! Great ideas for those of us who rarely throw par-tays.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Jessica said...

Robin! I am a total party thrower and even I learned stuff from this. Loved the music advice and the extra food in the middle advice. It totally makes me want to have one this weekend...except it's the boringest part of all this weekend: the ward Christmas party. Maybe I'll throw a rival party and we can compete!

Jessica said...

boringest partY (party, with a Y, though part kind of makes sense...)

Kristen said...

Robin this is so timely! You always have thrown the very best parties and I love them! I want to come to a party at your house.

I think, (I've been thinking and this just pushed me over the edge) I am going to have a gift wrapping party with some friends, we will have soup (Thank you Jennibel)and great music and visit while we wrap presents and stuff.

Actually, I want to have a regular...not, gift-wrapping party. Fun!

Robin said...

Jenibelle - you should have written this post! I want to come to your soup party. Sounds like such fun.

Sally said...

Excellent post. I never would have thought about pulling something yummy out of the oven halfway through. Genius!

I loved Emily's comment! It was cheerful! Excited! Emphatic! Exclamatory!

Robin really does throw good parties.

I need more party music suggestions.

mandbrid said...

I want to throw a party now! Thanks for the great ideas...

Julie said...

I'm throwing a party tomorrow. Norwegian parties are different, I can't explain it. I'm just the wierd American here who likes to have people over. I loved all your suggestions and especially the "don't expect others to throw parties". Some people love to have them and some love to GO to parties! Something for all. I miss your parties!

Julie said...

One more thing. I loved the "brag about them" comment. You are SO great at making other people feel good. Thanks for all the bragging you have done about me. Making other people feel good is a great quality in a friend.

Anonymous said...

Super post Robin! Melissa & I were talking about the old days and remembering parties from the past. I remember planning not one, but three at a time. Friday's guests were the "mucky-muck" important business people who were likely to be the most critical. We'd get that over first while the house was the cleanest, the food & flowers were freshest,etc. Then on Sat. we'd invite close adult friends and people we really liked to spend time with. Sunday, we could wrap it up with family members including kids of all sorts, and a planned or random pot luck would be in order by then. I think I want to go right out and plan a party! Love to read and be bossed around by all of you!

diane said...

We are party people. At least one a month. With teens it's more like weekly. We keep it simple, pot luck and then just sit and enjoy your friends.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Robin you are the party diva for sure, with Emily a close runner up. Great post. I think I'll have a party, maybe a Scentsy party, maybe in February after we get back from Calif & ?
I have never made either of these recipes. They sound yummy! I am going to buy the ingredients and make them at Sally's house.
I love it when you post recipes.

Melissa said...

You are a Party Animal. I wish you'd come host a party for me at my house. I'm always overwhelmed.

KDub said...

Love it!! I'll use all these ideas for my Festivus party.