Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sock It To Me

All we really want at the end of the day is a little respect. Just a little bit. Just a little bit.

Right now, at Christmas time, I am willing to bet that you have spread yourself pretty thin. As Melissa said, we have lists of lists. So here is your bossing for the day, or actually for the rest of Christmas, respect yourself. Drop some things off that ridiculous list. And play this song. It's not really a carol. Make sure you have an audience because you won't be able to stop yourself from grabbing a Christmas decoration and turning it into a microphone as you dance around the house. Your family will be delighted.

Re-re-re-re-spect!




Music Appreciation Class
(pushes glasses up nose with finger):

Here is a little known fact. Most people think the song says "Take out the P-E-C". Not so.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care ... TCB
"TCB" is an abbreviation that was commonly used in the 1960s and 1970s, meaning Taking Care (of) Business, and it was particularly widely used in African-American vernacular.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you need something to say when your kids/husband has that panicked look on their face asking, "what do you want for Christmas?" Say: Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits.

GValleyGirl

Sally said...

I am so glad to know about TCB. I am TCB all the time over here. It's now my new favorite acronym.

I would love to be Aretha Franklin for the 5 minutes it takes to sing this song.

Emily said...

Yes, TCB! I'm so glad to know that now! There was a time in my life when I listened to Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits everyday for about a year. She is in credibly talented. I especially like the Rose in Spanish Harlem song.

Anonymous said...

This is my personal anthem.

Melissa said...

Love this.

I am trying to figure out what ridiculous thing I can drop. That is hard. Most of it seems critical. A week from now, all the shopping and shipping will be done. The Party will be over and I will be in full blown ENJOY CHRISTMAS WITH MY FAMILY mode.

Can't wait.

:)

diane said...

I will be singing this when my teen starts her extensive eye rolling.

R A C H A E L said...

Amen Sista.

Katrina said...

A few months back I first realized it said TCB, but that's because of Judge Joe Brown (or the other judge) uses it all the time. And they happen to be African American. hmmmm, interesting.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I always thought it was TCP & wondered if it was some hallucinogenic form of tricalciumphosphate, or what?!