Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Winter Fashion.

It is comical that I am posting about Fashion. Laughable actually. However, I have been noticing something lately.

I am 35 (almost). I am on the fringe. (and so punny, fringe, scarves, get it?)

I have little ones, so I go to playgroup with the "Young Moms" and I have an almost 10 year old so I can hang with the "Older Moms" as well. In fact, it is a touch of a pickle to be in, or rather it would be if I cared. I'm kind of odd man out in both groups. In some ways, I'm on my own island, I like my island, so all is well.

Anywho, back to fashion. Scarves. There is a definite difference. The Moms with kids Michael's age wear them the way I always have. Wrapped around, you know, the way Grandma showed you how?

The Moms with kids Lily (3) and Henry's (1) age wear them like this.

So, update: Be Young. Wear the scarf the new way. It will take Years off. Years I tell you! Years. When did we make the change anyway? I must have missed the memo, How many years have I been out of the loop? (Get it, loop? oh, I crack myself up!)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed that last week too! I wonder when the fashion changed?

Robin said...

Please post a picture of you in the scarf.

I don't own even one scarf I can do that with. I guess I cam out of the young mom crowd. Scarfs always seem old to me.

I'm going to go look in my "Drawer" to see if there is a scarf in there that I have forgotten about.

Chiska said...

If I'm seeing that right, that's they way they wear them (or wore them when I was there some time ago) in Europe. It's also really fast and easy when you're in hurry. I noticed Walmart had scarves that were similar to ones I got in Paris that I got thinking they were soooo cool, so Parisian--much like the one you've posted.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes... Oprah had the new scarf method on her show a few months back... And we all know that whatever Oprah says is gospel when it comes to fashion now don't we.. LOL

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Emily said...

I love a scarf on a cold day, I pull it up over my nose. Not too fashionable. I learned this style of wearing scarves from a roommate.

So, if you're not sure how to do it as Melissa has it pictured, this is how I do it: you fold the scarf in half, then put it (behind your head) over your shoulders so that one end is the folded end hanging on one shoulder, and the other end is actually the TWO ends of the scarf hanging together on your other shoulder. Then thread the two loose ends through the folded end and snug it up around your neck.

I like it because it is easy and it doubles it up around your neck for warmth without winding and winding and winding it around your neck one loop at a time, again and again and again (if it is a particularly long scarf).

Robin, you'd look fab in a scarf! Too bad I already got your gift. oh well.

Phoebe said...

I stopped watching Oprah and now I am so out of the loop!

mandbrid said...

I've been wanting a scarf just so I can wear it like this! Thanks for the inspiration...I think Santa may have to slip one in my stocking!

Melissa said...

Em, you mean I have been out of fashion since you were in college.

Ouch.

That was just last year though right? ;)

Sally said...

Emily is still in college, so Melissa you are a fashion plate.

Thanks for letting me know how to wear my scarves. I need a lot more help than just scarves, though, to be fashionable, so keep it coming!

PS Target has very cute scarves for 12.99.

Julie said...

Ok, from the girl who lives in Europe, Melissa is right. That's exactly how EVERYONE here wears their scarves. And EVERYONE wears a scarf ALL THE TIME. I feel wierd now when I don't have one! I agree that I used to think scarves were for old ladies who like to think they look young with them on but if you wear them like Melissa showed, you are HIP. I'll get you one Robin!

Paige said...

I wear scarves and NEVER noticed this. I'm dying from your brilliance. I'm wearing a scarf now because it's COLD in my house so I'm switching it so I can be part of the under 35 group. I won't be 35 for another 26 days. So there. THANK YOU. Most useful thing I've learned all day.

Paige said...

Sally, I searched for scarves tonight at Target here and they are OUT!

Anonymous said...

Love to wear scarves with winter outfits... It improves our look!!