Thursday, December 11, 2008

What is Wrong With Me?!

by Sally

This is how my evenings go.

I get the kids to bed as early as possible, usually by 7:30 they are all down and out. When the house is quiet, I realize how exhausted I am from just doing my day. Then I walk into the kitchen and look around at the mess with despair (and a little self-pity), and decide to do some cleaning. Then, because I need to relax, I decide to either watch TV or surf the web. And suddenly it is 11 PM. That is when I think: What is wrong with me?! Why am I still up? Why have I been staying up late wasting time with nothing to show for it? You know. You do it too.


When my husband is home, he doesn't help. Those evenings our conversations go like this:

Me: I am so tired. I have to go to bed.

Him: I know, me too. I am exhausted. I'm so tired. We should go to bed.

Me: Yeah. I'm going to bed in about 2 minutes.

Him: No, let's just go to bed now. But first let's watch The Office and 30 Rock.



As I climb into bed, every single night, near or after midnight, I have the same conversation with myself:

Self. This is ridiculous. Tomorrow we are going to bed at 9:30.

Why do I do this? Why? Why don't I finish with the kitchen/dishes, then go upstairs and read Newsweek until I'm tired, and go to bed well before midnight, like a sane person?

Why don't I do something productive, like write in my journal, read a great book, or make photo albums for my family, instead of flipping through Tivo or reading blogs of people I will never meet? (no offense, strangers, but you know what I mean.)

It's not like I'm 10 years old, hating bedtime. For heaven's sake, when I put my kids to bed at 7:00 I am totally jealous. Ooooh I wish I could go to bed right now! Newsflash, me: I could go to bed right now. I really could. The dishes can wait. Tivo doesn't need me. The blogs and everything else on the internet will go on without me.

I'm not a napper. I just can't/don't, it doesn't work for me. So I am walking around in a state of constant sleep deprivation, like every other mom I know, and I am tired of it. So why do I want to turn on the TV right now and veg out for an hour?

This should be me. At 9:30.

16 comments:

Robin said...

I know just what you mean. Roland has been out of town for 10 days so that means I have every evening available to read, uninterrupted. But do I do that? NO. I piddle around and waste all that valuable time!

I did call you, Sally, and my friend Suzanne one night - so that was time well spent. But otherwise, all I have is wasted time and a book that I didn't read for book club tonight.

Robin said...

If the girl in that picture had blond hair and shaped eyebrows, she would look just like you.

Emily said...

ME TOO!



Is that a Rosetti painting? I love it. Lurve it.

Joe said...

You, madam, have described, in uncanny detail, my life.

Anonymous said...

Shame on you for not being good to yourself! I am a firm believer in sleeping when I am tired, even if it means a nap in the afternoon. Listen to your body and what it is telling you.

Melissa said...

I have such a hard time surrendering at night. When we moved back East I started staying up for the News at 11 instead of 10. Seemed so much later! Bah. I'm going to bed waaaaay later now.

I'll work on it. I'm so much more cheerful when i am rested.

Phoebe said...

Unfortunately, this is my life, as well. I keep telling myself, "In January..."

mandbrid said...

I stay up for awhile because I need an hour or two of quiet time. My kids are usually up between 6-6:30 so I try to have them in bed by 7:30. By that time I'm DONE. I don't want to clean, or cook, or do anything productive. I used to spend this time on my scrapbooking (not my own but stuff to sell on ebay). Now...I just want to sit and read blogs, or familyfun, or watch one of my three favorite shows. I think I like your idea of going to bed at 9:30 though. I think I'm going to try that next week.

Anonymous said...

hahaha...I am laughing so hard. I have the same conversation with Jordan every night. I am so exhausted at night & somehow can't get in bed before 11 either. It's so dumb. I've realized why I do it, though. It's because I've been taking care of James all day, doing laundry, teaching piano, running errands...and the list goes on....and so I need my alone time where I can do whatever I want, even though it just means I'm going to be even more tired the next day, and the cycle continues. Why oh why do we do this to ourselves???

Lance and Becky said...

I guess I am lucky. The pregnancy helps me sleep like all the time. I am sorry for your lack of sleep. But you are pretty even though you don't get enough of sleep.

diane said...

Yeah, it's 12:43 AM and I'm still up.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i'm just going to say it because i always say it, but maybe you should have sex.
no tv. just climb in bed and have sex. and then since you're already there, you could just go to sleep when you're done.

i'm just sayn. it works for some people.

Melissa said...

Andrea, my husband likes your idea. A lot.

A lot.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Alan likes Andrea's idea also. more than a lot. If that doesn't work he says some Jack Daniels will do the trick.

Jake said...

Or try teaching Early Morning Seminary. You will be asleep by ten. It's a great sleep aid. (Also a natural form of birth control...)

Sally said...

Sex is not a bad idea but it requires husband to be in town.

But thanks for thinking outside the box, Andrea, and for sharing your genius plan.