I just, just, ordered gifts for my extended family. I knew for several months what to give them (this isn't always so, but this year...I had good ideas!)...but still waited until the last minute to order them. I have a hard time committing.
If you still need to do this, may I recommend Amazon? If you order by Thursday, most likely your gifts will still make it in time for Christmas with their regular standard shipping. Even better, spend $25 and get free shipping! (to make sure your purchase qualifies, it should say on the banner of the page of each item you're perusing if it qualifies for "Free Shipping")

Here is a suggestion for kids/families: "The 7 Habits of Happy KIDS" by Sean Covey, with an Afterward by Stephen R. Covey. My parents-in-law gave this to us for a birthday, and it has (to my surprise) been a big hit with Ruby, who is only 3 years old. I thought it was more appropriate for 5 or 6 year olds (at the youngest) when I opened it, but we gave it a read, and Ruby loves it.
The stories are successful on many levels. They have interesting illustrations and dialogue, and the values they teach are AWESOME. At the end of each story (there are 7 stories, one for each "habit") is a "Parent's Corner" with suggestions for conversation, questions to ask your child, things to hint at or suggest about the story. It is great. I think that ever book could have this--I feel like it is a parenting "cheat sheet".
May I give an example? Tonight we read "Bored, Bored, BORED!" Ummm...is this something you can relate to? Ruby doesn't usually say, "Mom--I'm bored!" Instead she says, "Mommy? I was thinking...maybe we could watch a video?" But, it pretty much means the same thing.

Sammy Squirrel is...bored. (Habit #1: Be Proactive). The story is very interesting to Ruby. She loves the illustrations and examples of the other characters. Most of all, she loves how Sammy comes out triumphant at the end. I can see a spark in her eye when Sammy solves his own problem. It is like a victory for her!
Sample questions from the "Parents' Corner": Why was Sammy bored? Whose fault was it that Sammy was bored? Sophie's fault? Pokey's? Lily's? Goob's? Or somebody else's? Do you ever feel bored? What can you do about it? Who is in charge of the choices you make: you or somebody else?
This book has successfully taken a very common parent-child back-and-forth frustrating and annoying habit ("I'm bored! Can I watch TV?) and made an attractive story out of it that teaches the underlying principle/solution, and it's prize, victory, success, or whatever you want to call it, is contagious.
Thanks Mom and Dad. We LOVE this book. (I think I like it more than Joe.)
Another great book specifically for those of you who love the magic of Christmas: "Letters From Father Christmas" by J.R.R. Tolkien. There are several editions of this book. The most fun is the HarperCollins/Houghton Mifflin 1995 edition with illustrations and actual envelopes from which you can physically remove a letter (it can get lost--so keep this book on the top shelf to be read with Mom and Dad) from Father Christmas. The book is out of print, last I checked, so you will have to buy a used copy on Amazon or elsewhere.The letters are amusing, short, illustrated, a little cranky, funny, and down-right honest. I mean, that is, they feel honest. It is magical.
Amazon is great--I can't recommend it enough, especially if you have to ship gifts to far away places.
A new BIG (unrealistic) item on my wish list is a Step 2 Kitchen. It rocks. Melissa has it at her house, and Ruby LOVED it. I'm not sure where we'd put it, but we'd make room. Also, to go with the kitchen, Melissa & Doug (brand) pretend food (wooden food velcroed together so that you can cut through it and it makes a cutting sound, though all you're really doing is sawing through the velcro with a wooden knife about as sharp as a door knob).
hint, hint. ;-)
8 comments:
You're way more thoughtful, all I bought my extended family last year was marshallow guns.
Umm...you're way more fun! ;-) I didn't buy any of these for gifts though, these are just things that I have liked and thought would make good gifts.
I bet you're the most popular aunt/sis-in-law. ;-)
xo
Thanks for the great ideas! I have never heard of "The 7 habits of Happy kids" book (althought we have a few of Coveys other "7 habbits" books). I want to get it! But not for a gift, for me! 8-)
Our kids have the cutting food and they love it. I have seen at at TJ Maxx for a good price.
We also have the wooden kitchen from Target. It was smaller than others on the market so it fits in our dining room really well. Just a thought...
I love the velcro wooden food. It has always been a favorite at our house, year after year the kids come back to it.
Also, the Covey book--I am so glad you posted this bc I bought it for Nate (at Costco) for xmas and was just wondering yesterday (!) if it was too grown-up for him. I can see that it has major FHE potential.
And we have the Letters from Father Christmas because my really, incredibly superawesome sister (you) gave it to us. :) And we love it.
once i get my shopping done and presents shipped, i feel such a huge relief. then the fun of anticipation begins. i think i anticipate the giving (if the people i gave to will enjoy the gifts) much more than anticipating what i'll receive.
except this year, because i think i might get an imac. woowoo!
You said that you like the book more than Joe. I think that isn't fair to Joe. He is smarter than the book and probably treats you better too.
I'm just saying.
Poor Joe.
Okay, you got me. You can have the book! I'm keeping Joe!
Post a Comment