Monday, December 15, 2008

Pretty enough?

by Sally

Why?



Is Faith Hill not pretty enough?


The blurb on the cover says: Faith & Tim: What's normal about them (and what's not). Come on! Anything that is normal about her has been photoshopped out. Also, and this is just a side note, but take a sec to read all the headlines on the Redbook cover. Then notice the Redbook tag line: love your life. Really?


I don't usually read Greek men's magazines, but I thought the contrast in photos was interesting.


Did you photoshop your Christmas pictures? I am thinking I could give it a try and be 25 again. My children will have perfectly straight teeth.

The problem with this, of course, is that we (and our husbands, teenage daughters and sons) see these pictures and begin to believe that this flawless quality of appearance is normal. It's not. Faith looks great in the second picture. She looks like a real person who actually lives. Like a friend you might run into at the grocery store.

Another interesting example is here. If you have a teenage daughter, you should show her this.


After I wrote my first draft of this post, I was at Target. Walking past the magazines, I couldn't help but look a little more closely at the covers, and it made me sick. Next time you are in a store, take a look at the covers and the photos--the airbrushing and photoshopping is unreal. Literally.



And now for something a little less depressing:

How did the ocean say "hi" to the beach?


Gave it a little wave!

16 comments:

Robin said...

Excellent post. Have you seen the Dove commercial where they show how an ad is made? Amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U

I wish they would show this is schools.

Robin said...

But this is the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-kSZsvBY-A&feature=related

Anonymous said...

It would be wonderful if media stopped portraying unrealistic images of women and men. Just think how beautiful the human form is--images a little more kin to Michelangelo paintings and such.

Anonymous said...

Great post! You know I saw Faith Hill on The View a week or two ago and she didn't look much like the magazine cover shot of her. Most of we older gals know not to believe that all that we see is at it seems, but the teens and tween girls, well that's a different story. They are so misled. I don't buy into it... I leave the magazines on the grocery store shelves where they belong...

Emily said...

This is a good reminder. Now I'm going to go check out Robin's links...

Melissa said...

I think Faith looks happier in the second picture.

My 7 year old wants a "Change your look" kit for Christmas. Yes, I cried when I read that. :( She is so beautiful!

Sara H said...

No wonder "stars" looks so different in real life!

R A C H A E L said...

I work for magazines as a photographer. It should tell you something that the people who are on staff who handle the 'enhancing', as we call it, make a six figure salary. More than the photographers. It is amazing what we can do, let me tell ya. We don't take of years, we take off decades, and 20+ pounds.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I agree! And you know Faith's makeup artists had already done their magic before the photo shoot. Wonder what she'd look like au naturale?

Look at the old photos of your grandmothers & great grandmothers. When they were 40 they looked 70, and it wasn't because life was harder for them, as they are fond of saying. It was the lack of today's great skin conditioners, makeup, haircolor and hairspray!

Thank heavens for Oil of Olay moisturizing wrinkle remover, Revlon Color Stay blemish concealer, Rimmel powder & blush, Maybelline mascara, L'oreal Lip Infinity, artificial nails, wigs and haircolor. I'd look like my mother's sister without them.

Phoebe said...

So how does this play into your feelings about plastic surgery?
I have a friend that just had some "work done" and another friend said she thought it was great and that this gal "deserved it". I completely disagree. While I know that it is, obviously, a persoanl decision why can't we accept who we are and how our bodies change ans we age, give birth, and live!
So- do I need to tell my husband that I deserve to have my 16 year old body back while he just trudges on with his 34 year old one?

Basically, what I am saying is that magazines are selling the idea of infinite youth and beauty, but we are buying into it wholeheartedly.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I just watched the Dove reality video that Robin suggested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U

It is excellent! watch it! On the same link there are a few parodies of the ad which are good, and another Dove video on responsible drinking which is also excellent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdOaSzQayrg&feature=related

Paige said...

I love these pictures, esp. Faith's back fat!! I'm going to check out all the links. Where did you get the the before and afters??

Anonymous said...

Hey there. I love the photo in your header.
I love a little sass. And my kids have called me bossy once or twice. Phoebe sent me over here to check this post out undoubtedly because we share the same opinion.

But you asked a great question. "Did you photoshop your Christmas pictures?"

No. No way. I have never photoshopped any picture of myself. My sister is a graphic designer who had some pictures of me on her camera and decided to email me her photoshopped "improvements." When I got the pictures we laughed a ton but I said no way I'd rather have the original.

Because....
All of those chins are mine.
That sweet gut is my beloved food baby.
And my smile lines are there because I smile a lot and had the privilege of growing up in CA, the land of the sun.

Thanks for the thought provoking post. I wrote about a similar topic here.

http://janelles.wordpress.com/2008/12/11/dear-jennifer-b/

Don't you just love Phoebe?

Tracy said...

Thanks for sparking a little conversation between me & Maddie! I showed her the teenage link and she was surprised! Her words--but she looked cute before!?! Exactly.

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. Thanks.

wenderful said...

Wow! Where did you find those pictures? I am going right now to share this with Maddy. I am suddenly feeling lots better about myself.