Friday, December 5, 2008

Get Outta the House!

By Emily

Do you ever catch yourself giving a lecture about something you feel very strongly about, and then you realize you're really lecturing yourself--because maybe this is something you know, but you still struggle with?

Before kids, Joe and I had no problem getting out of the house. We didn't have to be very planned about it, we could just go on a whim. After kids you can still just go on a whim, but it take a lot more effort, and emotional energy as well. I think though, in my experience, I have always been glad that I did it.

[There are times when you know it is best to stay home (kids are sick, or you are sick...) but other times you just need a kick in the pants to get you out that door! The best part? The kids aren't home messing up the house, so leave early in the morning before messes begin!]

This is the best time of year to find cool things to attend outside of the home. Here are some things you are likely to find near your home, for free, cheap, or otherwise:

  • Christmas Lights Sight Seeing (drive around and sing Christmas carols--or listen to them)
  • Public Library special programs
  • Zoo Lights
  • Matinee or Dress Rehearsal of The Nutcracker (cheap or free, and okay if your kids are restless)
  • Santa at the Mall
  • Train Rides
  • Christmas Concerts at the local schools or university
  • Ice Skating
  • Lighting the City Christmas Tree (usually at your City Hall)
  • Museum special programs (some offer free entrance during certain times)
  • Model Train exhibits
  • Festival of Trees (or similar programs, where a collection of various decorated Christmas trees can be viewed)

To find out info about your area, first check your local paper. You can do this online, if you don't subscribe. Also, check out the websites for all of the things listed above--sometimes the city visitor's bureau has an online listing of local events, or the public library may have a newsletter online with info.




Or go to McDonalds and Ice Skate with Bambi and Ronald!


Tonight I think we're going to see Santa and do some ice skating ($3), visit local art galleries and sip hot chocolate, all at the local public square.

Tomorrow I'm going to a cookie exchange! I'm taking 4 dozen, and will get to bring home a variety to share with my neighbors. If you attend a church, there are often festive activities during this time of year that are fun to go to--and if you don't, find a friend who does and pal along! The more the merrier. ;-)

What gets you Outta the House?

11 comments:

Robin said...

Now that my kids are older we have to force them to leave the house. Maybe our house is too nice?

Bundling up and taking a walk is fun in the winter. Especially if you walk in the places you usually visit in the summer. Then come home to hot chocolate and a candy cane.

We joined a club to get out of the house. We go workout and everyone is much happier afterwards.

Robin said...

Did you make yourself laugh when you downloaded the McDonald video? I bet you did.

Emily said...

Yes, Robin, I made myself laugh, and even more when I typed the subtitle...oh dear...(deer)

Sally said...

Now that I have a school-age kid, my goal is to have all of us ready to go for the day so that when I drop him off at 8:15, I can stay out and do what I want/need to do. Sometimes we go for a walk at the beach, occasionally the park, but let's be realistic, usually it's Target or Costco at this point in my life!

I do love taking advantage of community programs, whether it's the library or local parks & rec programs.

Great post!

Laura said...

What gets me out of the house? Sanity and the desire to maintain it. My OBGYN told me to go on a walk the day I got home from the hospital with Talmage and to do so every day. Besides sickness, I haven't missed a day yet.

Of course, I only have one child (and another in a couple months), but this and reading everyday have been my two main (and arguably only) goals in motherhood, so I'm hoping to maintain it.

Does that sound horribly naive?

Linda Austin Hart said...

What gets me outta the house? Brrrrrrrr......in the winter? My physical therapy appointments, and that's about it. I can hardly wait for sunny So.Calif.!

Laura said...

I love the list of things to do, we are already doing some of those. Tonight is our town lighting ceremony and last week we went to the library for a reading of the "Polar Express." I love how everything is FREE, but also I love that in our small town, the kids are most likely to run into a school friend. Then I look like the good mom who set up a playdate.

Chiska said...

My crazy social kids. I would hibernate all winter if I could. However, the call of the child is pretty insistent. We don't have a lot of options in the winter and it gets quite cold so it's usually to the Library for story time or a friends house or to "go to the shopping".

Watsonx4 said...

Great advice!! I have a blog now, please check it out and comment! Hope to talk to you soon. I have a new e-mail address watsonxfour@yahoo.com

Melissa said...

Good advice. We love being at home alllll day in our pj's. But getting out is a good plan.

Hilary said...

I love your comment of getting out of the house before it gets messed up in the day. That is so true! It seems when you leave in the morning - you get to do fun things and come home to a clean house. When you stay home - you just have to clean up all day - and your house usually ends up more of a wreck than what you started with - so leaving is a win/win situation. Great advice!