Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Laugh, and the world laughs with you

There is a radio commercial where Sally Field tells us that she only has one body so she takes Boniva (makes me think of cows for some strange reason – bovine?).

When I hear this commercial I realize that I only have one body too! Sally Field and I have so much in common. I better take care of it! I promise myself that I will back off the sugar, increase the exercise, blah blah blah. But by the time I get to where I am going, the commercial and subsequent resolutions have been forgotten.

Here is something you can do for your one and only body that doesn’t require you to forgo goodies or sweat: laugh more. Have a sense of humor. Studies, done by real doctors, have shown that people who have a sense of humor are not only happier, they are healthier. They have a stronger will to live, fight off disease better, have fewer heart problems, and have a better quality of life.

When you don’t feel like laughing, fake it. If you fake it for a while you will start to feel it. I can trick myself into thinking that I am having fun, or that an otherwise stressful event is funny. For example, I sometimes get the giggles when my teenagers have a full blown fit about something like cold cereal or people chewing with their mouths open.

It's not like life is a piece of cake at my house. Believe me, we have more than our share of drama and distress, but I have to laugh at myself. If I don’t, things will get ugly real fast. Its bad to take yourself too seriously. When I laugh at myself enough, I can actually get people to laugh with me. It is very rewarding. Especially if my husband and kids laugh. I find if I laugh before anyone else has time to yell or cry, often I can completely change the outcome of an entire situation.

There have been times, in my life as a mom, that I have resisted the urge to laugh because I wanted to nurse my anger, my sense of injustice. I regret those times.

So, I double dare you to laugh when you normally would freak out or get grumpy. You’ll feel better and so will everyone else.


Laugh, and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.


I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose. ~Woody Allen


Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis. ~Jack Handey, "Deep Thoughts," Saturday Night Live

10 comments:

Sally said...

I did this. This morning, just about 15 minutes ago, when my 3yo started to cry because he wanted a big spoon not a medium spoon, instead of getting frustrated I giggled and smiled at him and made up a song about spoons.

He cried anyway, but I feel better.

Thank you.

Emily said...

This is something I try to do, but I sometimes really have to consciously work on. For example: spilled milk? I can groan and grumble, or laugh and say Oh well! It can be wiped up!

I will keep on trying--laughing is so much more pleasant!

Salt H2O said...

I read a quote by Bob Newhart this morning that was along these lines:

'Laughter gives us distance. It alows us to step back from an event, deal with it and move on.'

I find it interesting how many people take themselves so seriously- My favorite thing to laugh at is myself.

Sara H said...

Okay, I'll try to laugh instead of get mad next time I'm headed that way! :)

Emily said...

P.S. I love Sally Field.

Melissa said...

This morning. I kept laughing. My children kept wailing and gnashing, but I kept laughing. Singing loudly and obnoxiously and laughing. When they romped out the door to the bus I still couldn't figure out why they didn't think I was so much fun? Acutally, they did join with me here and there.

Laughter is wonderful. I find myself telling new moms that are stressed that they need to LAUGH a lot! It is healthy, it helps. Find the humor!

Good post.

diane said...

I wish I could hang out with you. We would laugh. Your blogs always make me smile. I take Boniva...so I won't break my other leg too.

Anonymous said...

You know a good way to get the whole world to laugh with you is by throwing a snort in there a couple times between the laughs.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Laughter is a great distraction from life's frustrations.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Laughter is a great distraction from life's frustrations.