Friday, December 19, 2008

Smitten...

There are many things that bring feelings of happiness to me... sparkly untouched snow under a bright moon, the warm spot on the carpet where the sun has been shining, waking up to a child singing, but really the thing that makes me the happiest is my kids doing what they are supposed to do.



Yesterday was a stinky and fabulous day together. I was frustrated with one of my children and concerned about him and his choices, and my other child...well, he cleaned the entire downstairs - thoroughly, without being asked. He is helpful and cheerful and loves to spend time with me. At one point I thought almost at the same moment "What a crappy day!" and "Could this day be any better?!" Talk about an internal conflict.



Last night I went up to my son's room and sat on his bed with him. He was texting friends and I just sat and we talked just a little, about nothing really. Over about 20 minutes he mostly quit texting his friends, although I never said a thing about it. Then he started talking to me about some good things going on. Some great lessons he's learned in seminary, and a favorite talk from the Christmas Devotional. Then we started talking about some of the things that are concerning to me. We cried a little, we laughed a lot, and in the end I'm not as worried as I was.



Confession here, I told him how I really feel. I told him how deeply I love him. I explained that the words were usually used to convey a romantic love, but really, they just mean all consuming. I told him that the moment I found out I was pregnant with him I was in love with him. And that even still, I am in love with him, I am smitten, I adore him. I can't wait to see him and talk to him each day. I told him I feel the same way about his brother. That they are the very best of me, the best accomplishments I have, and the only ones that matter at all to me. They bring me the greatest joy in my life, no other joy even comes close. I told him again...I am smitten.


Smitten...he smiled at that, and got teary eyed. It is important. Now he knows.





Smitten, I tell ya....Smitten.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are both sooo handsome and have an inner glow that comes through their photo. I would be smitten too if they were my grandsons....

Jenibelle said...

Beautiful reminder to all of us.
I'm smitten also, I just forget to tell them.

Emily said...

This post makes me cry. I had a horrible dream 2 nights ago about Joey that kept me awake worrying and praying. I had to sneak into his room and see him. It was awful. And he's only a baby! So, yeah. This post made me cry.

Emily said...

P.S. Joey's totally fine of course. ;-) I thank God everyday for my children.

Sally said...

I loved this post. It's true. I find myself gazing at my children in awe of their perfect beauty and bright spirits. Of course, other times I want to run away from them for a while. :)

But I truly do adore my children and they deserve it.

Melissa said...

I am smitten with your boys too.

I think we all need to tell our kids more often how amazing they are and how much we love them. I told Michael today, in front of his teacher, I even smooched his face. He blushed, but I think he also felt happy.

Nice post. I had no idea how completely overwhelming the love for your kids can be.

Chiska said...

Good word. And when they're doing what they're supposed to do, sigh. Nothing compares.

Chiska said...

Good word. And when they're doing what they're supposed to do, sigh. Nothing compares.

Robin said...

Your boys are especially sweet. And you are a wonderful mother. I feel smitten by boys...off and on...depends on how stinky they are.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I am blessed to be with these 2 kids on a regular and can vouch for their smitten worthiness. They are great kids!

Tracy said...

Hi bossy sisters, I'm Sally's friend from college and I love getting bossed by each of you!

Kristen, you made me cry and think about my boys. And my girl, but mostly my boys because moments like this are so BOY. You sound like one very cool mom. Did you write a post about another special moment with your teenage son or was that a different sis? That one made me cry too. Amazing moms, all of you!!

Kristen said...

Tracy, thanks. Yup, that was me. I tend to write mushy mom posts. But then, I feel especially qualified as I have such amazing boys!