Thursday, January 22, 2009

Helping Myself

Remember when Sally shared her New Year resolution to try to live her life as if she were 20 years older and suddenly had the chance to go back and do it all again? I have been thinking about that so much. Fifteen years ago I was 30 and if I could go back and visit myself, we would sit on that old couch that gets the afternoon sun while the kids napped, and this is what I would tell myself:

  • Quit worrying about what people will think. They aren’t thinking about you.
  • Buying things won’t make you happy. Doing things will. Instead of buying stuff – do stuff.
  • Impressive cars and fancy houses don’t make you impressive or fancy. And they won’t make people like you (see #1)
  • Invite people over more. Quit worrying about if they like you (they do) or if your house is clean enough (they don’t care – see #1).
  • Pray more. Pray about EVERYTHING. Like: Should we buy a car? Should I home school? How can I help my child? What can I do for my husband? Please help me to stop freaking out!

  • Back WAY off the sugar. You’ll feel better. And, while you’re at it, enjoy how darling and skinny you are right now. Start appreciating how beautiful you are – you are much too hard on yourself.

Then after I gave all that advice I would tell myself just how great I was. I would point out all the things I was doing right. Then we, my 30 year old self and I, would wake the kids up from their naps and cuddle while we read books, then we would go play in the garden - pushing the kids on the swings and admiring their daring trampoline tricks.

I wouldn’t be able to stay long. I am needed here in my 44 year old life. I would probably cry when it was time to go because I miss that time when my kids were all mine and hadn’t found the world yet.

I would hug my 30 year old self and tell her I love her. I really do love her. And then I would tell her one last thing:

You are better than you think you are.

18 comments:

Linsey said...

Robin, my 32 year-old self really appreciates this post. Thank you!

Nancy said...

Thank you! I needed to hear that. I am one to get too caught up in everything, and forget to enjoy it. You are amazing!

mandbrid said...

I've been thinking a lot about that post she wrote also...thanks for this. I had an ugly night last night with my kids and this totally made me cry.

Anonymous said...

just what so many of us needed - thank you!

Kristen said...

This was perfect! Thank you for the reminder.

Robin said...

mandbrid - It made me cry to type it. Especially the part where I realized how great I was at 30. But I didn't know it then.

diane said...

I love this post.
You are a wise woman. My inner 30 year old could also use a pep talk.

Melissa said...

Bang! I'm crying!

I knew I assigned you this topic for a reason. You are right. We are good. Life goes fast and appearances,dust, crumbs and grime really don't matter. Reading and cuddling and LISTENING really really matter.

Thanks Robin.

I remember you at 30-ish and you were all that and a bag of chips. I was sure you knew it then though!

Jess said...

Thanks for the lovely post! My approaching-30 self will inscribe it on my brain.

Joe said...

Beautiful.

Ashley said...

Robin -- I don't know if you remember me (I'm Sally's sister in law - Jordan's wife) but I am sitting here crying at your post. I am really going to take this advice to heart and start enjoying life more. Great post :)

wenderful said...

Love it. All true. Thanks.

Linda Austin Hart said...

You made this 66 year old get teary with this post. You *were* wonderful at 30 and are amazing at 44.
Even now you and your 4 bossy sisters are not only better, but also more loved than any of you realize.

Sally said...

Thank you Robin, for this beautiful post. I loved it. Thank you thank you.

Emily said...

This is such a beautiful post. This part: "Then after I gave all that advice I would tell myself just how great I was. I would point out all the things I was doing right. " I think I need to write a list of these things down about myself. Then I need to put down my "stuff" and play with my kids.

Thank you. I needed this. :) xoxo

kate said...

A quiet voice inside me has been hinting at some of these things, but I usually ignore it and keep worrying about what people are thinking about me :). Thanks for making me (and everyone else this post struck a chord with) listen.

Fragrant Liar said...

THANK YOU! That was perfect timing that I read your post this morning. I am just at the point in my life where I'm wobbling and wondering and worrying.

And, god help me, I'm single.

So, I really needed to hear those words.

kj

Jake said...

Great post, Robin! Why ARE we so hard on ourselves? Thanks for the reminder. You are the big sister I always wanted.