Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Next Christmas Wish List

by Emily

Have you, your children, your husband, or anyone else you know, already begun to make next year's wish list?

I thought I would be gifted-out to the max. Done, done, and done. But then I saw what cool gifts others got, and to top it off, I read the Sky Mall magazine yesterday on the airplane.

The Sky Mall magazine is great, it has all the gadgets and gizmos you've thought about inventing for yourself and then realized that it really wasn't worth it. It has a way of making me feel anew in my motivation to organize every little thing in my life when I arrive home.

It is also great fodder for some hilarity during your flight. Joe and I flip through and show each other various items with our own commentary, "Now, I've always wanted one of those!" or "Seriously, is pouring yourself a glass of water so difficult that you need a machine that does it for you?" Etc. You get the idea.

Here are a few of my faves:

The "Progressive Wake-Up Clock"

I love that it isn't called an "alarm" clock, because HELLO! that would be too ALARMING which is beside the point. I've been wanting one of these for the last 6 years. As with everything in Sky Mall, I don't want it bad enough to spend the ridiculous money on it ($60+, no thanks)

The "Slanket"

Buy multiple Slankets for your guests to enjoy! Embroider them with family members' initials! Get one for the dog! These Fleece One-Size-Fits-All Slankets are FAR superior to those nasty old blankets the proletariat use. Our Slanket can be WORN! WORN, I SAY!

The "Pet Crate End Table"

Seriously? Why do you even have a dog?

And finally...

The "SkyRest Travel Pillow"
Oh Please, oh please, oh please, don't let me sit next to that guy. And do you really want to be "that guy"? You know, the one who is still blowing up his travel pillow halfway into the flight? "Ahem, excuse me while I inflate my huge drool pillow. Could you just scoot? I need some elbow room while I puff this thing up. If I pass out, I think there is an air-mask thingy you can use to revive me."

Is there a Sky Mall/As Seen on TV gadget you've pined after?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

No pining from this gal. I too look through the Sky Mall magazine when I fly. I get a good laugh every time, not only at the items but at their prices... Sheesh. But the drooling guy does look comfy now doesn't he? lol

Di

davers said...

I want an alarm clock with electrodes that I can connect to my two ears so I'll be sure it wakes me up.

And the slanket? First time I saw it I thought it said skanklet. I thought you were making fun of it ... although I don't know what's skanky about a blanket you live in. What a minute. A blanket you live in. Yeah, that does seem kind of gross.

I wonder if they have "child-crate end tables".

The thing about that travel pillow is how precariously perched that guy seems ... the slightest turbulence and he's going to be in your lap ... along with that reisty pillow thing ... saliva and all.

Joe said...

I would absolutely use the travel pillow if there was a curtain between me and the other passengers so no one look at me.

Sally said...

Oh man, that guy on the travel pillow looks so relaxed and comfy, I'm jealous.

Awesome post.

I have never pined after any of the skymall items, but I've always been somewhat scandalized by the no-tan-line swimsuits.

Can you imagine the smell in the family room with the pet crate end table?

Robin said...

Oh. I wish they sold an Instant Escalator that I could carry in my purse so I wouldn't have to walk all the way to the escalator in the mall. I could just go up a level whenever I fancied. Or maybe spring loaded shoes could serve the same purpose.

I am making myself laugh now.

Robin said...

The instant escalator would also be helpful on long uphill hikes.

Phoebe said...

I almost bought the Slanket for my sister. Almost.
But I have to confess-we do own a Flowbee. And it actually works, for the boys at least. I have never been brave enough to try it.

Emily said...

Dog Crate End Table:
In a richy rich snobby voice:
"Oh, a dog? We have one of those."

Linda Austin Hart said...

you're all clever, and funny!

Melissa said...

We had something similar to the slanket growing up. They were terrific!

Funny Post Em!

Emily said...

THAT IS HILARIOUS! And that pillow is huge! We LOVE the SkyMall magazine... it is such a treat to read on a trip... we recently swiped one to save for later. I've been coveting the crossword puzzle poster that fits on an entire wall.

R A C H A E L said...

Hahaha. HAHAHAHAHA. he he. HAHA. Sniff. (wiping a tear.) I am glad there is someone else that enjoys SKYMALL as much as I do.

I personally have always wanted the remote control drink carrier that you can deliver someone drinks in the pool.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I'm sure that sleeping guy is in our ward.