Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mommy's Boot Camp



You may have heard me talk about Mommy Boot Camp. I realize that this sounds like a boot camp for moms, and in a way it is. Perhaps more accurately it would be called Mommy's Boot Camp, as in: I'm the mom, you'll do things my way. But I like to say it better without the 's'.

All of us here at Bossy are having a BOSSY SUMMIT this week/weekend in sunny Cal-i-forn-i-ay. That means out of the last 8 weeks, my children have only been home for 2. That also means sleep schedules are off, bad habits are forming, little people everywhere are feeling entitled and wondering if a new day has dawned in the land of kids-are-in-charge.

But I do not fear. For I hold the power, the mighty power of Mommy Boot Camp. Enrollment begins the morning after we get home.

There are certain times in my parenting life when I've had to impose Mommy Boot Camp. The most obvious are 1) sleep training, 2) returning from travelling and getting back into routine (obeying house rules). Other times might include breaking bad habits, usually falling into one of the two categories already mentioned.

When we get home from vacation, I gear myself up for Mommy Boot Camp. This means that I have to be ready for it as well--no lingering in front of the computer getting caught up on blogs and emails, no trying to squeeze in just a few more minutes of sleep in the morning when the kids are hollering and doing who-knows-what in the family room.

You could also call it the Mommy Smack Down. It works best if your spouse leaves early for work before it gets ugly. You will get dressed before you eat your breakfast. You will go to bed at the early hour. You will eat your veggies, and, NO MORE "SPECIAL TREATS".

I am going to just enjoy these next few days and not worry about whether teeth get brushed or all that was eaten was junk food. Because I know. I know how to correct all these miserable little ones.

Welcome Home. Welcome to Mommy Boot Camp.


Isn't this a funny/strange photo? I was looking for a crying baby image, but decided to use this instead. :)

8 comments:

Emily said...

I love mommy boot camp. Every time we travel to visit family, we completely neglect our kids. They don't mind too much because they get to eat junk food and watch too much TV. When we get home, horrible habits and short tempers abound and mommy must institute boot camp. Hardcore. And it works.

Sally said...

Ooops. I wrote that comment. Sally. Not Emily. But she blogged from my computer and I didn't log her out. Aren't you glad you know?

mom2ky said...

That photo is hilarious! I LOVE IT!!!

mom2ky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mom2ky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda Austin Hart said...

Very funny. I laughed.

Lauren and Trevor said...

I want you to know Emily, that I have adopted this term of yours at my house. It started the day we got back from Christmas break...the only problem is that was a long time ago and we're still not all whipped into shape. Maybe I am not being harsh or boot-campish enough!! We miss you here.

Melissa said...

After 9 hours of non-parent approved Nickelodeon viewing on a plane yesterday... yeah, we are in full Mommy Boot camp mode.

Tank-man especially. He can't stand for me not to cuddle him today. Guess the laundry will wait.

Love the photos. :)