Monday, January 5, 2009

Buh-bye, Santa

It's still Christmas at our house. Josh Groban is singing Little Drummer Boy to me, three reindeer are enjoying their spot in the kitchen, and not one ornament has been packed up.

Last year around this time, my friend Paige proclaimed the Christmas Decoration Rule. Christmas decorations must be down by her Jan 9 birthday (her sister Celia probably disagrees). Because I respect and appreciate other bossy women I must comply, even though I live nowhere near her. So it's time to take 'em down.

Goodbye sparkly tree. You make me feel peaceful. Especially the night that my kids and I sat in front of you for an hour singing Christmas carols, my favorite event of the whole season.






Goodbye super cute Santa. Great work not getting destroyed by the kids who tried to ride the reindeer.




And goodbye to you, just a small portion of the medicine we and our many wonderful houseguests needed to get through this holiday alive:




Josh Groban and I are going to hang out for a few more weeks. Sorry, Paige.


Here's a tip on getting the kids to help clean up:

Hide wrapped candies (hershey kisses, perhaps) in a few spots on the tree and around your other Christmas decor. The kids can search for the candies while they help put away the decor. No candy can be unwrapped or eaten until all the decorations are put away. It's like a New Year's Easter Egg hunt.

7 comments:

Robin said...

We just started taking down the tree today. I think it will be a two day job because I bought special ornament storage boxes and I need to run ALL OVER TOWN to find one more.

I leave the outside lights up for at least one more week, they are the "flowers of winter".

Anonymous said...

Ho Ho Ho... mine went away over the week-end. I am reclaiming my house from Christmas Past. I must have a fever because usually I procrastinate putting it all away....

Annemarie said...

I have seriously been in mourning since the decor came down. It really is such a bummer.
Sing on Josh (& Sally), sing on!

Jenibelle said...

I took mine down Saturday and I've been grumbly ever since.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Hah! Remember the year I didn't take down the tree until April? And the what was it? 3?-5? years- in-a-row I left the downstairs tree up? It would still be up if Em & Joe & baby Ruby hadn't moved in & taken it down because they needed the space! Wow, that was 3 years ago and we haven't put up ANY decorations since then because getting a tan someplace-in-the-sun feels better!

Linda Austin Hart said...

and, great idea, re: hiding candies!
I should have done that.

judy peel said...

I loved being one of your many guests and really enjoyed Josh Gorban and your wonderful decorations. But really the most meaningful part of your post was the meds, since between your F-I-L and I we used almost all of them! Your peppermint tea was the best--I bought some yesterday! Thanks for the great Christmas, even with all the germs, it was the best!!