
'Twas the night before houseguests and all through my house
Not a thing was quite ready, not even my spouse.
The towels were hung in the bathroom with care,
In hopes that our guests would not see the mess there.
The children are nestled all snug in MY bed,
While dread of sleep deprivation dances in my head!
You see, me in my slippers and Jason trav’ling Texas
Had just gotten used to a house without houseguests.
When out on the internet there arose such a clatter
I sprang to my desk to see what was the matter
When, what to my web-surfing eyes should appear,
Not a thing was quite ready, not even my spouse.
The towels were hung in the bathroom with care,
In hopes that our guests would not see the mess there.
The children are nestled all snug in MY bed,
While dread of sleep deprivation dances in my head!
You see, me in my slippers and Jason trav’ling Texas
Had just gotten used to a house without houseguests.
When out on the internet there arose such a clatter
I sprang to my desk to see what was the matter
When, what to my web-surfing eyes should appear,
But a birthday invite! How I hope they’ll stay here!
With 5 sweet children, so precious and good,
I just cannot wait to see M’lissa and David.
More rapid than eagles Emily and kids came,
And have kept me company and kept me sane.
"Now, Mom! now, Robin! now, Kristen and kids!
I love you so much! But there’s no more room in the inn.
To the Crowne Plaza Hotel! It is right by the mall!
Now hurry up! Come right now! Dash away all!"
As siblings that live far apart, far and wide,
When their grandma turns 90, they mount to the sky,
So up with Southwest, United and Delta they flew,
With their arms full of kid’s gear, and lots of love too.
And now, in a twinkling, I've realized right quick
That my family won’t judge me if things aren’t perfect.
We are coming together to celebrate and do
Our grandma’s 90th birthday! And Jane’s baptism, too!
Our grandma’s 90th birthday! And Jane’s baptism, too!
This is the t-shirt logo for our Grandma's birthday. Ninety is the new forty.
We haven’t all been together for years...
Thinking of that puts me almost in tears.
I care not if my house is just perfectly right;
My heart swells to think of the beautiful sight:
Of our family, together. How lucky are we!
To be a happy, loving, eternal family.
STILL, all will be gathered here for days on end
And I have plenty of things to mend.
The kids’ toys, their closets and more are a mess!
We all will work hard and just do our best.
My pantry is stocked with chocolate and junk food
And not to be bossy or demanding or rude,
But a job chart is hung on the fridge with great care
In hopes that I won’t be pulling out my hair!
In truth, I can’t wait to see my sweet fam’ly
With their kind faces and warm love for me.
They are witty and smart, a right jolly old crew
And we never run out of fun things to do.
Remembering this and all else that I’ve said,
Helps me to know I have nothing to dread;
Now I’ll websurf no more, but go straight to my work,
And clean up this house; with a smile as a perk,
Thinking of that puts me almost in tears.
I care not if my house is just perfectly right;
My heart swells to think of the beautiful sight:
Of our family, together. How lucky are we!
To be a happy, loving, eternal family.
STILL, all will be gathered here for days on end
And I have plenty of things to mend.
The kids’ toys, their closets and more are a mess!
We all will work hard and just do our best.
My pantry is stocked with chocolate and junk food
And not to be bossy or demanding or rude,
But a job chart is hung on the fridge with great care
In hopes that I won’t be pulling out my hair!
In truth, I can’t wait to see my sweet fam’ly
With their kind faces and warm love for me.
They are witty and smart, a right jolly old crew
And we never run out of fun things to do.
Remembering this and all else that I’ve said,
Helps me to know I have nothing to dread;
Now I’ll websurf no more, but go straight to my work,
And clean up this house; with a smile as a perk,

This is always what I look like when I do housework. Always.
And setting my alarm as early as it can,
I’ll awake to continue my housecleaning plan;
Such that when all arrive I’ll feel cheerful, not weepy
But I think most of all I’ll be feeling quite sleepy.
So they’ll hear me exclaim, ere I run out of sight,
"Welcome to all! And to all a good night!"
......................................................................................................................................
The real story: I love having houseguests. Robin the Wonderful has planned a party for our Grandma's 90th birthday (I hope she will blog about it), and every member of our family will be here for it! When I found out that everyone would be able to come, I invited (begged) those that live furthest away and have the youngest/most kids to stay with me. We will be in cousin heaven here and I can't wait.
16 comments:
This makes me super excited! The ground and sky here have been white for weeks...I can't wait to see green again, and feel sunshine!
It is going to be so fun to be all together!
You are very talented...that is a lot of stanzas. Great Jorb!
What a DARLING poem. I love it. I hope you have a wonderful get together! What a cherised memory it will be. I am jealous that you get to have Emily at your house. I would love her to stay at mine.
Good luck with the party and the housecleaning. I am sure it will all be worth it!
What an epic poem! Epic, I say!
I love being here, and Ruby is the happiest!
Terrific, Sally. . . absolutely profound! Have a wonderful gathering and keep a little sliver of space available so we can peek in and out sometime with all of you. We'll be there for the baptism, of course, so we're looking forward to seeing the rest of you. Such a joyous occasion!
Cherish the moments and take lots of photos! Don't let the things that matter the most get pushed aside by the things that matter the least.
Good luck with that. Maybe you can go stay in a hotel.
Have a fabulous time with all your family. Just skip the housecleaning. Give is 15 minutes after they arrive and the place will look like you never cleaned anyway. Just have fun and enjoy being together. How fun!
Fantastic Sally! Job Chart.
I love the t-shirt design! 90 really is the new 40! Have a great time with everyone and don't sweat the small stuff.
Good luck with the guests...and enjoy the party. I hope the poem wasn't too much fiction...I feel better if I know I'm not the only one with closets allergic to organization.
And hope the donuts were all you hoped for...I grabbed a crueller myself after the gym this morning. If you can't workout to earn a donut, why workout??
Hi Sally.... I wanted to thank you for your lovely comment on my blog today over at Blue Ridge Gal... The music you were hearing is from the movie P.S. I Love You. It's titled "The Meeting" by John Powell and I too love it's light hearted feeling... stop by anytime... I love comments... don't we all.... LOL
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
Cute t-shirt design, and yes, the picture of that woman doing housework actually does look like you Sally. We miss you. Are you coming back????
Sally, so impressive!!! You have been a Peel for....gosh a lot of years, and I never knew what a gem of a literary talent lies in your multi-talented...uh.. talent pool. (As you can see, it has not rubbed off on me.) Wow so nice to know for whenever we need to call upon you for a poem!! You are now the "Peel Poet Laureat"! Congratulations!!
Job Chart? There was a job chart? just kidding.
I cried when I read this, we truly cherished being together and my kids were longing for cousins on the way to the airport. We are home. It is snowing and our heater is out of oil and we are all BUNDLED till the oil man arrives. I want to come back.
It was glorious. Thank you thank you thank you!
Wow, Sally. You've really outdone yourself with this. I think you should be hired. I'll pay.
I was wondering what occasion you were all gathered for. I wish I could have come.
Post a Comment