Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Today's Fave: The Neti Pot

by Emily

As someone who suffers from typical allergies and sinus colds, I was so happy when my s-i-l encouraged me to try the neti pot during our Christmas holiday. I was on day 3 of a sinus cold, and it was only getting worse. I was a little freaked out about the neti pot, but she walked me through it. It was easy! And it really helped. If you want to try it, and are freaked out, call me and I'll walk you through it.

I felt an immediate improvement--it relieved the sinus pressure, rinsed out a lot of gunk, and let my body get ahead of the cold. It's not a cure-all, and it's not a drastic measure to take, but it simply rinses things out so you can start to feel better. Plus, I feel like the salt in the saline soothed my post nasal drip sore throat. Also, it improves your sense of smell.

This is the same brand neti pot I use. You can buy it at any pharmacy (CVS, Longs, Walgreens, even WalMart has it.) I like it because it comes with pre-measured saline packets, so all you have to do is add warm water. Easy. It was only $14.99, and worth every penny.

So, have you heard of it? My first reaction was: gross, I want to try it! But will it hurt? Is it invasive? How can you breath while you do it?

Basically the neti pot rinses out your nasal passage with the gentle force of gravity and saline water. It doesn't actually go into your sinuses, but creates a gentle drop in pressure that gently drains your sinuses. Gentle. Really, it is gentle, and you use warmish water, so it feels good too.


Here is a video demonstration. I don't bother with the "stretch exercises" afterwards, but why not? Easy enough and might feel nice if you have time.


And finally, a NY Times article, because, you know, if it's in the NY Times, it's gotta be good.

13 comments:

Robin said...

Five questions:

1. Is the video suppose to be funny?

2. How did the woman in the video keep from laughing? I laughed while watching her.

3. Did you notice the yucky green stuff on the water faucet? Does that have any thing to do with the water coming out of her nose?

4. Does using the neti pot feel the same way it feels when you get water up your nose while swimming? Cause if it does, I don't want to use it.

5. I will probably buy a netipot today.

Anonymous said...

Looks easy enough. They should be flying off the shelves at CVS and Wally World.


Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Sally said...

Hey, bring it with you so you can show me in person. If I am sufficiently grossed out, I will have to get one for myself.

Melissa said...

That made me laugh!

Joe said...

After lots of peer pressure, I tried the NetiPot. And now I believe in NetiPots.

judy peel said...

Yes, this is gross, but if you suffer from frequent sinus junk it is great--I use the Neilmed squirt bottle and it has helped a lot. You do what you need to!!

mandbrid said...

Just watching that made my nose feel stuffy...now I want a NetiPot!

Queen Bee said...

Did you happen to see Emily T.'s group photo of Netti Potters (can I say that?) It was funny...

Emily said...

It was hilarious. I meant to email her and ask permission to post it on my blog, but in the sake of time I had to go on with the show.

FYI, a friend of ours is traveling the world on a great adventure, and sent a photo of her and about 6 other friends each using their neti pots (outside of course) at the same time, in a row. It was really funny.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I believe it. I will buy it.
I want to see the group photo.

Robin said...

Get permission and post the group photo!

Erin said...

I will probably use a neti pot next time I have a cold. It looks like it would really help you be more comfortable.

Anonymous said...

I've done this then repeated it with a maxiumum concentration of sodium ascorbate in water - the result is that it's therapeutic - will dry you out and keep you clear longer. You can buy sodium ascorbate powder online - it's not too expensive. You can also make it by mixing equal amounts of powdered vitamin C with baking soda (NOT baking powder though). Do not do this with straight Vitamin C powder - it will sting if you're nasal passages are sore.

I found it effective enough that I snorted it througout my sinuses so I could get more therapeutic effect.

Another therapeutic solution is doing this with colloidal silver. Don't do that daily though because over time it can discolor your skin to become gray. I personally don't do this for that reason and the sodium ascorbate I believe is more orthomolecular.