I was at the hospital with a friend last night. A few minor complications with her precious baby girl, left her 6 hours out of the womb and not being
cuddled yet. My friends arms were aching. All she wanted was to
hold her baby. I couldn't help but go back in my mind to the 10 days we waited to
hold my Eve for the first time. 10 days. My arms literally ached for her. One time we had to go 21 days. 21 days without her in my arms. Torture for a mother or father. It just struck me how much we want to
HOLD to fix things. My friend kept saying, "If I could just
hold her, maybe she'd be ok." (she is ok by the way, more than ok, beautiful and fine. Just fine.)

So, I got thinking as I drove home (after finally watching Mom and Baby
cuddle and love and bond.)
Holding. It is so important. I love to
hold my babies, awake, asleep, big, little, cuddly, squirmy, hurt or healthy. We offer to
hold hands when someone needs comfort or safety. We
hold hands when we walk, to show affection and/or protection. We
hold each other to show Love. Isn't
holding so nice?
Holding. I think it is Human Nature to want to "
Hold" someone when they need help. Do you?

So reach out!
Hold someone!
Images from Flickr, aren't they good?
11 comments:
I can't imagine the pain of being unable to squeeze a child, let alone a new baby! 21 days without holding your baby? I'm glad YOU survived!
I was just holding my tiny tonight thinking about how many nights I ached to hold her big brother when he was small. I would sit in a rocking chair in his room while the dialysis machine hummed and hug myself pretending to hold him...just wanting to be close.
It's a marvelous thing to be able to squish, snuggle and hold. I love it now when I can squish them both onto my lap and snuggle or read a book.
My babies are too big now, only their head fits in my lap. But they still need holding. Sometimes they ask for holding by starting a wrestling match, but what they really want is to be cuddled.
That would break my heart! It is interesting when someone you love is hurting the first thing you want to do, and the first thing they need is to be held.
There has to be some scientific research behind this.
Interesting. I think there is science behind healing touch. What gets me is the instinct we have to do it.
I agree. I think the need to be held is part of human nature, and I think the need to hold is also part of human nature. But I think there are those who don't get the second half of that... I wonder what is wrong with them.
I miss holding all my babies, all the time. That includes the grown ones with babes of their own, and the youngest ones, just learning to walk. This is a beautiful and touching post.
I remember when Stephanie was in the Neo-Natal ICU and hooked up to all kinds of machines how I just felt helpless standing there and only being able to hold her hand. How at night I would sit with the breast pump instead of my little one in my arms and cry.
I hope that baby gets all th hugs they are able to give and often.
....waiting for another blog post from one of you cuties.
Wow, you're so right about the desire to hold to comfort and make things better. My younger brother passed away the beginning of this month and during the funeral and burial, although he was almost 27 years old, I kept imagining him in his little toddler size that I loved so much and wanting to hold and rock him.
Sara, I'm so sorry.
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. :) Bossy readers are the best!
Post a Comment