Tuesday, January 20, 2009

________ Makes Me Happy.

by Emily

Well, it ain't the cold weather.

It makes me down right grumpy, morose, cranky, yea even cantankerous, ill-humored, gloomy, dyspeptic, irritable, slothful, acrimonious even. Essentially it renders me useless and unpleasant to be around. Be warned. Here's a photo just in case you need a visual of the passive irritated rage expressed on my face while I make dinner and my husband dares to document our happy family life with our new camera.This photo was NOT staged.

Now, try to scroll past that unpleasant image greeting you for today's post. Let us speak of agreeable, congenial things, for all you happy bunnies out in winterland.

_______ Makes Me Happy


1. The yellow rose that DW gave Ruby 2 weeks ago and is still colorful, though a bit crusty, on our table top in a Perrier bottle that Joe bought because he wanted to drink something that made him feel special and our choices are limited since we don't drink alcohol. Thank you crusty but bright yellow rose. Thank you DW. Thank you Joe for green glass bottles. Thank you Ruby for being you that someone would want to give you a yellow rose.

2. SFLB (Short in the Front, Long in the Back); Business in Front, Party in the Back; Make Mom Happy but Still be Cool; Mullets. Okay, maybe I'm aiming at the wrong thing. Here: my little toddling crawler whose bangs I cut too short and whose curls I can't bear to cut, because he's my baby, dangit! And I'm not going through all that again anytime soon so he better stay baby for a long while. Do you think it would be cruel for me to go wake him up right now (it's 10 pm) just so I could selfishly slobber on his soft cheek and tickle him to hear his laugh? This is the best medicine. A drug, really. I'm totally addicted. It actually makes my mouth water (my eyes, too, in a different sort of way).

3. Double Stuffed Mint Oreos, Black Cherry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream, Creamy Chicken Soup, and Tortilla Soup. In other words: Joe. Because this is the odd assortment of food he bought at the store on his recent "milk run" in a loving effort to cheer me up. Did I mention that I hate this cold weather? So, for the obvious: It's not the food that cheers me, but a husband who is so devoted and kindhearted. And funny. He even makes me laugh when I'm determined not to. (Like after he took that sneaky photo of me unawares and pissed off.)


This is my favorite toy in the way it promotes playing together and results in gleeful laughter. Music to my ears.

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Waking up at 4 a.m. and realizing it is only 4 a.m. makes me happy! Brownie batter makes me very happy. Dancing in the kitchen with my girls makes me happy. Laughing with Dave makes me happy.

Seeing family in ONE WEEK makes me VERY HAPPY!!!!!!!!!

I love your list Em.

Kristen said...

Oh Emily, you do look cantankerous. I hope that now, after making your happy list, you look content.

Having a clean kitchen makes me happy. Having healthy kids makes me happy. Reading a good book, but being able to put it down long enough to get a good sleep makes me happy. Scentsy makes me happy -everytime I walk into a yummy scented room in my house, it makes me smile. Exercising makes me happy - when it's done.

And by the way Emily, your kids are darling! I can't wait to see them again next week!

Sally said...

What a great post. Sorry about your cold weather crappiness. Bang that sucks. But the picture is priceless.

I love what you wrote about Joey. And I understand about his mullet. Yes, I said it, he has one and it's adorable because he is so darn cute.

And I'm glad that Joe makes you happy. I bet there are a lot of big important things about Joe that make you happy.

See ya tomorrow!

Robin said...

I hear you on the cold weather. Add to that my impending menopause you have the recipe for Miserable Woman Surprise. Here is my list of things that make me happy:

Sun shining into my house in the morning.
Children who sing while they unload the dishwasher.
Funky hats.
Sunday afternoon naps.
Finding a great song on the car radio.
Listening to Noah play the piano.
Warming my feet on Roland.
Being in the mountains.
Cuddling with the whole family in my bed.

Robin said...

Oh! And right now the thing that makes me happiest is that we will all be together in a week! Yay! Can't wait!

Joe said...

I do like to drink things that make me feel special. Even if they're bland and slightly bitter.

Queen Bee said...

the cold, dreery UGLiness of winter. add to that that if it's slightly cold or there's even a hint of snow and Mr. Kindergarten has to stay home (even if there's a 2 hr delay) makes me VERY grumpy. Today especially. He likes school, dangit. And they still have school when it's cold in places like Wisconsin! Come ON people. Maybe we should grump together...
Oh and a couple things make me happy too, like a very important inauguration today, HOORAY! :)

Kristen said...

Oh Sally, your comment made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Random expressions of love..in the middle of play, "I Love you Mom"
Ice cream o'clock even if I don't have the icecream.
Orange the smell, the color, the taste.
Snuggling with kids
I agree with you on the whole family in bed thing Robin.
Being outside
Watching garbage trucks and having my three year old yell, "Hey you took our garbage!" as it goes bumbling down the street. (And having to explain to him EVERY week that that's it's job)
Getting to see family at unexpected times
laughing children
watching them play
Special drinks (have you tried pomogrante juice blends that old orchard has?) with Special foods
Pretty Fabric
Finished projects
Sunshine in our Library
Books
Old Friends and hearing from them
Home
Being around happy people
Chinese New Year so I can hang colorful paper laterns of flower is my house when it's cold and dreary outside.
Rain-the misty kind that drives everyone else inside and me out.
Being outside in the woods.

Chiska said...

Hitting the Post by anonymous button by mistake! That's me. :)

davers said...

Okay, being the brother I'm supposed to say obnoxious things that nobody else in their right mind would say ... so here it is.

Get rid of the mullet, Emily ... please! Joey is admittedly one of the cutest boys in the world. That said, there is no good reason for a mullet of any kind unless your name is Cletus and you've lost half your teeth because you refuse to use real pliers.

If you want to continually see those curls cut them off and glue them to your glasses.

There. I said it. Here's hoping you'll still talk to me at the family reunion.

Jess said...

Emily, you should move to Texas when Joe is done with school! We get dreary weather, but it is usually short-lived. Plus, it would be fun to have you close by...

laurel said...

Seeing a picture of you and being reminded of London - makes me happy!

Linda Austin Hart said...

whoa.......I've seen that face. It's the one that often turns to tears, then to laughter. Such a cute, expressive face.

I thought a mullet was a fish.

Emily said...

Jess, I think I would like Texas. And I would def like living near you! Laurel, I totally miss London. All the time. Like right now. ;( I'm so glad we have those memories!

David, I actually cut Joey's hair, before you replied. It is cute. I'm okay with it, I guess. I'll still talk to you.

Mom, I'm sure you recognized that face!

Chiska, I could tell that was your comment. I love it, it is so you and beautiful.

Annie said...

Love it!

Emily, I was happy to get your comment on my blog (Basic Joy) and am looking for your email to send some responses :). If you get a chance, drop me an email at basic.annie at gmail dot com.