Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dear Bossy Readers!


I need some advice.

Some of my favorite people in the world are coming to visit me next week. I will have 11 houseguests for 5 days & nights. What is required to be a good hostess? Please keep in mind that I am not Martha, I have very young children who require constant attention, but I also want my guests to have a lot of fun and feel welcomed and loved.

Thinking about times you've visited family, and times that you've hosted, what are the things I can do to make everyone's stay enjoyable?

Thanks!
Sally

10 comments:

Karen S said...

Gift baskets and mints on the pillows. :) Good luck.

Melissa said...

Chocolate. lots and lots of chocolate.

You are a saint to host us all Sally. I hope you know there is a floor in Maryland with your name on it whenever your in the area. ;)

Robin said...

It think it is good to tell your guests what you want from them. Like:
Please take off your shoes in the house.
The food on this shelf can be eaten whenever but check with me on the other stuff as I may have plans for it.
Please pull the sheets and dirty towels into the Laundry room before you leave.
No smoking
no hitting
no biting
Please stay up late and talk with me/or please go to bed early because I am tired.

Also, don't take care of everyone. Just let them take care of themselves.

I think you are a great host and you already do all this!

Kristen said...

I agree with what Robin said. It's so much more comfortable as a house guest if you don't feel like your host is "waiting on you" but rather you feel at home.

I would also ask for help when you need it, like "Could you please watch the boys while I take a shower, tidy the kitchen, eat my dinner, or what ever".

Linda Austin Hart said...

Have plenty of toilet paper and hand sanitizer available.

Keep volume down, or off, on Wii.
Limit amount of time/person on Wii.

Make a daily job chart for guests:
...Load dishwasher
...Unload DW
...Empty trash baskets
...pick up sofa pillow & throws
...sweep floor after meals
...keep counters & table cleared (& clean)
...Put leftovers, covered, away
...Supervise kids' toy pick up
etc.

Seriously, you're already a *great* hostess, and don't need advice!

Mom of Four said...

Just be you! Oh and depending on whether they want to do some sight-seeing things on their own a little bit, have a list of local attractions/restaurants/touristy things they can go do on their own. You probably already did that, you super-organized woman!

wenderful said...

I agree. A gift basket in the guest room with water, snacks, chocolate, magazines, etc... is welcome and useful.
Have a great time with your guests!

Emily said...

I get to be a guest, neener, neener, neener!

Lance and Becky said...

Well I wouldn't worry too much but since I won't be there I know its not all of your favorite people :)! I just like to feel welcomed whenever I visit and that should be all that matters to anyone.

Kerren said...

Does the thought of laundry and all those towels get you down? Consider a shower schedule and perhaps assign 1 towel per guest, to be hung on a clothes hanger somewhere outside the bathroom to dry and be reused the next time it's their turn. Mountains of wet towels piled on a bathroom floor can get ominous. Have fun, play games, laugh, cheer for one another's children, and keep the food simple. Most of all take lots of photos and love each other!