Other times I find beautiful ones:
The end pages are filled with colorized art and often there is a dedication written in the front:
Imagine my surprise when I came home from book club last month and realized that the book we were reading is actually a book I use for decoration! The Robe by Lloyd C Douglas. I didn't read my copy, bought at a yard sale years ago, it is falling apart. But I rushed out and got a new copy and I LOVE this book.
One of the things I really love about this book is that Jesus doesn't actually speak or interact with the protagonist, but we get to hear the famous stories of Jesus from the view of the people who were there. The stories are touching and the telling of them has made them more real to me.
When the book was published in 1941 it was rather scandalous and the Catholic church came out against it because of the way it portrayed Jesus. Now the church encourages people to read the book. Times are a changin'.
The Robe was made into a huge hit movie. But I am going to be bossy and tell you to read the book before you see the movie. Actually, skip the movie altogether. Your imagination is much better than the movie making of 1952.
10 comments:
I loved watching the old Saga type movies back in the 60's... I'm sure I probably watched this one too. Thanks for the movie clip!
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
I decorate with old books also!! And I read the Robe in high school, I think now I am going to buy myself a new copy and reread it!!!
I am totally going to read this book. Thank you!!
I have a lot to say about this book.
1. Own it. buy a copy off ebay. Cheap and easy and worth owning. My copy is highlighted and dog-eared. (and used off ebay.)
2. Don't quit. On page 98 I read something that changed my life. Ok, maybe not, but that was the turning point for me and from then on I couldn't put it don't. It is worth mustering through the beginning.
3. The movie. I thought it was horrible. The book does such a beautiful job of developing the characters and the movie trashes that. Don't bother. (We read this as a book club then watched the movie. Anyone who actually read the book walked out within 20 minutes! We turned it off. It was an embarrassment to Douglas.)
Can you tell I'm Bossy? Really. Read it. It is a book I pull out every spring and re-read before Easter. It gives such a different perspective to the Saviors ministry than what I normally think of.
Read it.
Now.
Excellent comment Melissa.
I am a fellow old-book fan. My favorite is a set I bought at a library sale called the "Mother's Encyclopedia"...parenting advice from the '40s. Quite hilarious, but often helpful.
Will check out The Robe. I will not feel guilty reading as it will be Seminary research! Thanks for the tip.
You have a beautiful book collection. Now I have to read The Robe. I like the idea of reading it before Easter.
I am going to barns and noble tomorrow (gift card!!! yeah baby!!) It will be in my basket of books to buy.
I think I have gazillion old books. If I've read it, or if I haven't & it's been in the house more than 10 years, it's old. Some might even be collectables. After moving them all out of the upstairs so the painters could do their job, I am loathe to move them back in. They may sit in their boxes downstairs forever.
If there are any in particular that you want, let me know. Maybe I should host a book giveaway on my blog.
The Robe is an awesome book. I also read a similar one a few years ago by a Russian author ... can't remember what it was called, but another fictional story of Christ's crucifixion from a 3rd person observer. Was very strange ... a good peak into the mind of the typical Russian, raised as an atheist without the foundation to distinguish between things like magic and miracles.
Post a Comment