I've been a mother for a few years now. Nothing compared to my sisters' experience as mothers, and especially nothing compared to my mother and mother-in-law's experience. [I can't imagine what it will be like to be mother to older children, and I DON'T want to imagine it! Wah!] Still, I spend a lot of time thinking about motherhood. What it means to me, how it changes a woman. I read books about it.
I am it, I guess.
This is just to say to my own mother and other mothers out there, I love you. My appreciation and understanding of the magnitude of your sacrifice, love, service and devotion, and priceless worth grows deeper each year.
Some women hate mother's day. I think I can understand the complexities it holds for many of us, mothers or not. I can imagine the many ways it could be a rough day for people with different experiences than mine. It makes me ache for them.
This year I am helping organize a small gift for all the women who go to church on Sunday. It is small. But just planing this makes me excited and gets me thinking about all the women I know and love, and their unique role in my life. I love being a part of this gesture to honor them, mothers or not.
I am looking at mother's day this year as a way to show honor and reverence for the role of mother. I am thankful for a loving God whose plan included mothers. I am thankful for the mother He gave me.
I wait with anticipation for my sister-in-law Erin to become a mother. There is something so special and magical about that first time, the transition into Motherhood. I think Erin may very well be the best mother I'll ever know. First of all (not first in importance though), she is pretty, and beautiful, and cute.

Beautiful, Radiant, Gorgeous. Woman!
[ It is so gratifying to look at your mommy and feel that she is "the most beautiful girl in the whole world". I always felt that way about my own mother, still do.]
Second of all Erin is giving, kind, generous, selfless, nurturing, thoughtful, cheerful, long suffering, fun, loving, beloved, love, love, love ,love, love. She really is all those things. All those loves.
Sometimes she asks me for advice, and that makes me feel good.
I know what I am talking about because I have a wonderful mother.
I love you, Mom. I don't know if I can do it as well as you did it, but I keep trying.
8 comments:
Sweet Erin. I remember her sitting on the banks of the Payette River studying for her medical classes. She is a doll and will be a great mom, just like you Emily!
What a wonderful post. I feel like you do--every passing year gives me more experience as a mom and more gratitude to my own mom and my MIL. And I am so happy to say that at this moment in my life, I wouldn't choose to be doing anything else but being The Mom.
That picture of Erin is so beautiful!
Yippee! It's almost Mother's Day. I'm counting the hours because soon I will get to talk to my missionary boy. I love Mother's Day. It is now my second favorite holiday, right after Christmas...the other phone call holiday.
Isn't it funny how the women always get roped into organizing the mothers' day gift at church? My husband is in charge this year, but guess who is helping? At least it means I can veto the cheap flower that always dies before you make it home in favor or chocolate. :)
Jess, yes, I'd totally be down with the chocolate. ;-) Our church has sort of...done...NOTHING...for the 3 years I've been here, so...
This will be a nice gesture of love.
Being blessed with children who brought naturally wonderful spirits with them from their pre-existence made my mothering easy.
Independent though they now are, I still get to do a little mothering now and then, but these really-not-bossy bossy-sisters and their brother are so loving and wise that I often find myself turning to them for mothering, instead of vice versa. I feel very blessed to have the 5 of them, and their spouses, for my children.
Thank you Em for the lovely things you said about me in this post. I am happy to know that you have such confidence in me:) It seems like a daunting task to be a mom, I hope it will come natural to me and that I will kind of become "it" as you said. Thank you for all of the advice you give me, I know that you put so much into motherhood and that you get plenty of advice from your experienced, bossy sisters- so I get advice from a good, concentrated source of knowledge! Love you!
Erin is beautiful! Motherhood can be so joyful. (exhausting, wonderful, exasperating, delightful, etc.)
I love pregnant women, isn't it a miracle?
Post a Comment