Monday, May 25, 2009

Some Kinda Famous Marinade

by Emily

My father-in-law is pretty cool. As far as I'm concerned, he makes the best marinade I've ever had--especially when used on tri-tip steaks. YUM!
(Tri-tip is bigger than a personal sized steak, and you usually slice it against the grain to serve--so a single tri-tip can often serve a few people).

And lucky you, I'm going to share it. Tuck it away for a Father's Day meal this June!

It really is "Some Kinda Famous Marinade".

Makes: 3 to 4 Cups of marinade


Ingredients:
2 C Kikoman soy sauce
1 1/2 C white sugar
2 T minced or crushed ginger (I use the kind in a squeeze tube)
2 T minced or crushed garlic (I use fresh)
2 or 3 green onions chopped into 1 inch pieces
4 ounces beer (to be simmered--alcohol evaporates)
(since I'm a non-drinker, and I'm also a non-planner, I don't usually have beer on hand when I make this recipe--unless I've planned in advance, which we've already been through--I don't plan in advance. I'm not opposed to it (planning or cooking with beer? Ha!), I just don't have it. So I've come up with my own alternative--I take a little yeast, add it to warm water and a Tablespoon of sugar, and then use 4 ounces of that instead...it adds a similar flavor and tenderizing element to the meat)





Directions:
1. Start heating the soy sauce in a large pan, on low heat.
2. As it warms, slowly add sugar and stir constantly until dissolved--it's a lot of sugar!
3. Add the ginger, garlic, green onions and beer.
4. Slow simmer on gentle heat. It doesn't need to boil, but it can if you care to burn off the alcohol. Heat for around 20 minutes (exactness is not required) to allow the flavors to have "permeated the brew" (as my cool f-i-l says).
5. Take off heat, cool enough to add to a zip lock bag with meat for marinating. You can use it on stakes, pork chops, chicken--you can chop the meat for shish-ka-bobs, or use it for tri-tip steaks. For beef, let marinate a day (give or take). For white meat, shorter time is needed. I haven't tried this with fish, but I think it would be excellent with just about any kind of fish.
6. BBQ grill, broil, or George Foreman that meat!

(My f-i-l also has been known to add it to meat and then stick it in the freezer for a quick meal in a pinch down the road. What a guy!)






Now--what should I do with ALL of this parsley? I have 4 times this amount still in the garden!

7 comments:

Sally said...

Thank you for the awesome recipe! Wonderful!

I also planted parsley this spring. I swore it was cilantro, which I use all the time, but it was parsley and now I am stuck with tons of it and no use (or desire) for it. Ideas? Anyone?

Linda Austin Hart said...

I have steak inthe frig & will try this tomorrow or the next day!

Melissa said...

This looks like a great recipe! I love marinades.

About the parsley, I have no ideas!

Robin said...

I need to try this recipe. I think the parsley makes a wonderful fresh arrangement for your home! And all of your meals should be beautifully garnished.

How about Parsley Pesto? http://www.care2.com/greenliving/parsley-pesto-w-walnuts-pasta-vegan.html

Here are 4 recipes: http://www.gomestic.com/Cooking/Recipes-with-Parsley.249965

Did you know that parsley stops bloating? Send me some.

Robin said...

Why is there a sock on your kitchen counter. Have you been throwing the laundry again?

Emily said...

Robin, that's a children's BYU sock with a logo on the ankle. Why? Because that's how we roll at our house. ;-)

Notice the cute window curtains Robin helped me make?

And the famous Fossum Cafe family cookbook?

Kristen said...

As a non-cook, I'd have to say this looks like a great meal for someone to cook for me! Anyone want to offer? The caveat is that you have to come and cook it at my house and then we will swim in the pool right after eating to test the theory of cramping and drowning when swimming after eating. I think it is a hoax, perpetrated by those who want to have the pool to themselves.