Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Going, Going...Gone!

by Kristen

Okay everyone are you ready to try something new and fun? How about some "economy shopping"? Thanks to Tiffani at http://paulandtiff.blogspot.com/ for sharing this! (I copied it directly from her blog).


Video Courtesy of KSL.com

What is a nickel Auction? Watch this video to find out.


Here are the rules that they listed on KSL under the video:

Those attending can bring whatever they want to try to sell (items you are going to give to goodwill, grocery items you really aren't going to consume, bottles of lotions or bath essentials, partially used scrapbooking supplies, clothing, books, home décor, etc.)

Since all good gatherings require good food, everyone brings a potluck dish to share.

As you arrive, you sign up for a selling slot.

Participants sell in the order they arrive. Each seller has a 10 minutes time limit. All bids start at five cents and bids need to be dividable by 5 (no 38 cent bids, here!). You can jump the bidding, but the amount must be dividable by five. The bidding can go as high as the bidders are willing to go, no limits. *Some auctions opt to allow the seller to set a starting bid.

For timing purposes, no commentary about the item being sold is allowed (Example: "I bought this three years ago, my daughter loves it," etc.)

Once the item is bid out, toss the item to the winning bidder and someone (working as scribe) writes down the name of the person and the price they committed to.

Then the next item starts, same process!

When that seller is all done, the scribe shouts out the totals for all the winning bidders, they put their money in a bucket of sorts that gets passed around the room (like a collection plate) and it all goes to that seller.

The next seller starts.

So do you wanna give it a try?
Reading the comments about this on KSL was very interesting.

7 comments:

Robin said...

What a good idea. I have a ton of stuff that I would love to sell!

Sally said...

I would go if someone else organized it.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Very clever. And they have been doing it for over a year.

Melissa said...

I'm on the sofa next to Sally. I'd go, I'd take stuff, but I'd never have what it takes to organize it myself. How sad.

diane said...

I have a group of friends that do this once a month. I've never been but they love it. It's a great way to unload stuff. I'm afraid I'd come home with bags of stuff too. So I skip it. Maybe next time I will just send my stuff.

Kristen said...

I think it would be fun, but mostly for the social aspect of it, and to see what people are willing to spend a nickel on.

Synergy Girl said...

I am SOOOOO going to do this!! I am already thinking of all the items that I want to auction off! What a fun girls night idea!! Bunco out...Auction in!!!