We've all had them, that moment when you see someone famous, you "brush up against fame", you maybe even have a conversation or a real moment with them. Some people know famous people and know them in their "non-famous" sense.
Well, recently I blogged about learning how to do the Butterfly swim stroke - huge accomplishment for me. And I mentioned Michael Phelps, how we are buds. I thought I should make this clear, as some of you may doubt that I actually know him. We are, actually good friends. He's been busy so we've lost touch, but our hearts are still connected in that rare way that super close friends feel - like velcro, kind of, without the bad ripping noise.
Way back in the day, in 2001, before the 8 gold medals at the Olympics, Mike and I were hanging out at the airport together waiting in Boarding Area B for our Southwest flight. We were watching the television posted nearby and the swimming competition going on. It was the National Championships and we were watching an impressive young man as he swam the Butterfly. Whoo-Hoo, he won! We could hear the announcer and cheers on the t.v. He had just set a world record in the 200 meter butterfly. The man traveling with Mike, who I later came to know was his coach, was talking to him animatedly and critiquing the swimmer. Suddenly it dawned on me, "This kid next to me, is that swimmer on t.v." Of course I congratulated him, and we began a long and deep conversation. We talked about our childhoods - mostly his - and how he would watch his sister swim when he was little, then he began swimming and loved it, and by age 15 he was accepted onto the US Nationals Team. He was very humble about it all. But his coach kept joining the conversation and bragging on him. He finally said, "You just wait...you'll see him win golds in the Olympics". How right he was! Finally it was time to board and we regretfully parted company as there were not enough seats for us to sit next to each other, I felt my heart stretch painfully as I saw him wipe a tear from his eye as his coach pushed him on down the narrow plane aisle, as he whispered "good bye" to me. But I've kept tabs on him through the years, and I suspect he has kept tabs on me too. We just had one of those connections, you know?
So what is your "Brush with Fame"?
Exaggerations are not only accepted, but expected. If you can't exaggerate, feel free to "remember big".
19 comments:
I snuck backstage at a concert and got kissed by Enrique Iglesias.
Back when punkrock band Blink 182 was popular, I went on tour with them. Seriously, I'm not kidding. We hung out backstage, they had their longboards for skateboarding. The lead singer tried to set me up with his friend "Cheetah". I wasn't impressed. But he also told me I had amazing eyes.
One time mom and I met Nancy Kerrigan (ice skater) in the SLC airport. She was snotty when we smiled and said, "Hello." But she was probably tired and jet lagged, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.
While in college I went to a lot of concerts. I would go "backstage" and introduce myself to the guys. Mind you, this was Provo Utah, so I was in decent company. And these were bands that were popular in a local, indie scene sort of way. Not like huge record label bands. Probably the most popular one was Convoy, who now has a different name. Their music was great then, but it's kind of yucky now.
I saw "Claire Huxtable" in the LAX airport at Christmas. She is an amazing woman--she just carries it with her. She was walking by herself, looking beautiful and exactly how she looked on TV 20 years ago, and I did a double take and she flashed me a beautiful classy smile.
This is a fun post, Kristen. I can't wait to hear other people's stories.
I’ve got 2 – and forewarning - this is going to be a REALLY long comment.
#1. My oldest brother’s ex-girlfriend is sisters with the girl who Matthew McConaughey was dating at the time. So they would go on double dates together, and hang out at Matthew’s house, um, I mean mansion. Hyrum would call me later and give me all the details…apparently Matthew is an incredible cook – he made them rack of lamb once. He also is actually a really bright guy. Hyrum was in law school at the time, and I guess Matthew started law school at one point as well – and then kind of fell into the whole famous actor thing. So, since my brother is a lawyer by day, rock-star by night, they had a lots to talk about – and since I would beg for every detail of every conversation – I felt really connected to the dreamboat as well. Mmmm.
#2. Remember the old Dan vs. Dave Reebok commercials before the ’92 Olympics? (eerily similar to the LeBron vs, Kobe commercials Nike has put out now). If so, then you may vaguely remember that Dan O’Brien faulted in the pole-vault in the trials, and didn’t even make it to the Olympics that year, but went on in Atlanta in the ’96 Olympics to not only win the gold medal for the decathlon, but smash the world record for that event as well. (You have to be an AMAZING athlete to win the decathlon. It’s like winning 10 gold medals – in completely different events. They compete in the 100 meters, long jump, shot put, high jump, 400 meters,110 meter hurdles, discus, pole-vault, javelin and the 1500 meters. I’d like to see Michael Phelps do that! ha!ha!)
Anyways – my Dad discovered Dan O’Brien as a freshman in high school. My dad was the track coach, and saw Dan playing a game in PE and recognized his raw talent. He approached Dan afterwards and told him that he needed to be in track. Dan was NOT interested in the least. Over the next few weeks, my dad kept after him, and finally convinced him to come to just one practice. With a little help he realized that this was something he could actually be good at.
For the next several years, my dad lived and breathed Dan O’Brien. He coached him individually, he made sure he got a scholarship to college, we had him in our home often (I had a major crush on him), and my mom was heard to complain that my dad loved Dan O’Brien more than he loved her. I can’t tell you the heartache my dad suffered when Dan didn’t make it to Barcelona. He was on the phone with Dan the night before the pole-vaulting trial. Dan was telling him that he was feeling good, and was going to start higher than usual, because everyone else was. My dad tried with all his might to convince him otherwise (he knew the pole-vault was Dan’s weakest event) but to no avail. But, four years later, my dad got to be in Atlanta with Dan for the big comeback victory. It was a beautiful thing! I wonder what he’s up to now…
Once I was at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk for my birthday and Carney Lansford signed the underside of the bill on my dad's Goodyear Tires hat. You all remember Carney Lansford, right? Played third base for the Oakland A's a couple decades ago? Red hair, great big mustache, never stood still in the batter's box? Of course you do. (I, unfortunately, wasn't wearing a hat at the time. Carnival rides, upside down, you get the idea.)
So he signs the hat, and then he says, "You, red-headed boy with the freckle-nose. Grow a sweet mustache and maybe you'll play in the big leagues like me someday." I wore the hat religiously to baseball practice for awhile, but eventually the signature kind of faded and got smudged with sweat stains. I grew up and did grow a couple sweet mustaches, but nothing nearly as sweet as Carney's, and I'm pretty sure this is the reason I'm not playing in the major leagues today.
Kristen - I think I remember Phelps saying your name on the Gold Medal podium...wasn't that his 6th Medal?
President George Bush Senior and I go WAY back. Like 19 years back. Roland was running for State Senate and we were invited to a fund raising dinner with GB - that's what I endearingly call him - We didn't have the $200 (or was it $1000? not sure) fee it took to get a picture taken with GB so we just stood and watched as the Idaho movers and shakers hob knobbed with GB. After the line died down we were invited for a free, FREE, picture with him. The moment he shook my hand and gazed into my eyes I knew he loved me. Of course Roland was there and GB is a man of great integrity (right?) so he controlled himself respectfully.
Actually, i have to say that it really was a thrill to shake his hand, the most powerful political person in our solar system (at the time). It thrilled me to think that I was shaking the same hand that shook hands with world leaders. It was a thrill and I felt like he was a good man.
OH! I love these stories! Cumorah - I KNOW Dan O'Brien too! Really! He and my husband played basketball together and ran together at the U of I. We used to get together for BBQ's with him. He is such a nice guy. (I'm not remembering "big" on this one). I always felt like he got cheated with the whole fame thing - like, really, HE WON AND SET A RECORD IN THE DECATHALON! Where was his picture on the Wheaties?
Other brush with fame - talked to Robert Redford on the phone (it's true I didn't know thats who I was talking to at the time).
Oh, and my dear friend, Sarah, almost made it on the Tyra Banks show about plus size models - but Sarah was too skinny. So, Sarah is kinda famous right?
And, my son Austin used to model, and made money at it. So he is kind of famous. And I'm his mom!
I keep thinking there must be thousands of people out there whose lives the royal I have touched in some way. It's hard to be humble.
I love these stories! I'm reminded of John Travolta, who, years ago, flew a small plane to the small suburban Chicago town I lived in and tracked me down in a grocery store. Naturally he was mobbed the moment he arrived and we were only able to exchange a long distance glance over the crowd...but...I felt the love.
Oooh--just as true, I met someone else even MORE famous than John just two weeks ago and you'll never guess who! One of you Bossy sisters' sisters--Laura Bingham! I was at Lagoon, running to my daughter's dance competition and saw her doing a book signing. Totally random! I had to back up and say hello and tell her how famous she is! Sadly I didn't have time to get an autographed book from her, but she was at least as cute in person as on my computer screen. :)
Thanks for the ever-entertaining and thought-provoking posts (that I rarely comment on), Bossy girls!
In the past month I have seen Tara Reid, The guy who plays Charles Widmore on LOST, a really handsome black guy who I recognize from TV but I can't figure out which show, and another, older actress whose name I also haven't figured out yet. I saw them at walgreens, Costco, and the gym!
Once I sat by Sofia Coppola in the oakland airport. She was pregnant and so was I. Lost in Translation, which she directed, had just been released a year before (I didn't see it). I wanted to chat with her but instead I called my friend at work and told him I was sitting by her. He was suitably impressed.
James Taylor's backup singer flirted with me at a concert in Paris.
That's all I got.
I know all the Bossy sisters.
My life is ... sheltered.
and Tracy, very cool that you saw Laura! I'm jealous, she is wonderful. My son finished her book in a day, I kept second guessing him and quizzing him, but he really did read it all!
I checked actress Connie Stevens into a hotel room in 1978. She was in her forties at the time... very young face but I remember she had lots of wrinkles and brown spots on the backs of her hands. I think she was in her 40's then. She was quite snobbish, looking down her nose at all the hotel staff, so when one of her fans came in and wanted to know what room she was staying in I told them so they could go knock on her door and annoy her. I was mean in my 20's and didn't care. Served her right for treating all of us as though we were lesser than her. (oops, maybe I was)
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
(she's in her 70's now and probably has no memory left of this...hee hee)
My sister and her husband are good friends with Ricky Schroeder and a few years ago they came to Washington to see my sister while they were on vacation. The Schroeders and my sister and her kids and me and my kids all went to the water park in town. Rick didn't go because apparently he causes distractions. In our parent's basement he played the music video he wrote and starred in as well. It's Whiskey Lullaby by Allison Kraus. We also went canal water skiing by my parent's house.
I'm also related to the drummer for Pearl Jam. His name is Matt Cameron and he is my dad's first cousin. He comes to all our family reunions and has a darling little girl.
I haven't known anyone "famous" well, but as Johnny Cash once said to one of his daughter's boyfriends, "I didn't get to know you well enough to miss you when you're gone".
Okay....1. no joke I was Marie Osmond's visiting teacher when I was at BYU. Her parents were assigned to our ward, the BYU 97th ward. I was the RS Pres. (that, in itself is surprising)
2. Remember the Walton's? (Oh please someone be old enough to remember them....) My daughter Rachel was 1 and just out of the hospital, we were flying home to Nor Cal and sat next to him on the plane. He was offering her some of his peppermint ice cream. She loved it for awhile and then threw up on him. He acted exactly the way Daddy Walton should act. He got up, pulled a new shirt out of his carry on and continued to hold her.
We lived in LA for four years, we had lots of "moments", like when we saw Jay Leno in his car. I gave him the thumbs up and he winked at me and gave me the thumbs up back. I knew he wanted me, but the three kids hanging on me and arguing profusely probably scared him away. Darn kids.
I have enjoyed reading these!
I love the waltons! thats awesome! I saw Jim Cavezel (spelling) the guy in Frequency and I think he played Christ in The Passion of the Christ (though I never saw it). I noticed and contimplated going up to him in the Airport but decided it would draw un wanted attention for him who was trying to travel in peace :) So we just acted like we were standing around and waited to get a better look when he got out of the bathroom. Thats it for me though my sis who is a photographer met Steve Urkel (Family Matters) and John Travolta (said he was really rude b/c he does not like phorographers) and the other actors for the movie poster of Ladder 49- it was filmed in Baltimore.
Where to begin...
Jenny Jordan Frogley (the LDS singer) was in my ward when my dad and her husband went to chiropractic school together (half of her in-laws were in my ward, too). I got to hang out with her a few times and my aunt and uncle were good friends with her (she was always trying to get my cousin to do radio commercials and stuff like that).
In 1996 when the David O. McKay building at UVSC (now UVU) was being dedicated I was there playing my violin with an orchestra I was in. I was near the back of the violin section, about 15 feet from the stand where the speakers sat. Gordon B. Hinckley was there to say the dedicatory prayer. At one point during the meeting I looked at Pres. Hinckley and we met eyes. It was awesome.
Boyd K. Packer's daughter-in-law used to be my dad's receptionist.
Marie Osmond used to be in my stake. In high school I saw Donny Osmond at Jamba Juice (I didn't know it was him til we left and my friends started talking about it). I saw Steve Young and his wife walking through the Provo Towne Center. I almost got to share an elevator with Dallin H. Oaks once at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.
My uncle went to high school with the guys who make up the LDS music group Afterglow. According to my dad, my uncle almost became part of Afterglow, too.
One of my husband's best friends in jr. high and high school is the son of Liz Lemon Swindle. He used to hang out at her house.
I'm noticing a trend....most of these have to do with people from the LDS church. I guess that is what happens when you grow up in Utah County!
This just goes to show that it is a small, small world.
I met Nigel Barker, famous photographer on ANTM, super nice. I drank with a famous in Russia and Europe singer in Moscow. I met Natalie Coughlin (who is (and better!) the Michael Phelps of women's swimming (and cuter!)). And I bumped into James Carville in Lowe's when he lived in my neighborhood in DC before moving back to LA a couple years ago. Chicken legs!!!!
I feel like there are more, but have forgotten, especially all the bands I used to hang out with like Jet and stuff.
Post a Comment