Thursday, May 21, 2009

I should have voted.


It should have been Allison. Why can't we have a rocker chick as the Idol? I think Kris is cute cute cute and would totally have a 17 year old crush on him but Adam is the one I would pay to see in concert. Can you say "Rock Star"?

Randy Jackson said America always gets it right. But I'm not sure about that. What do you think? Did America choose the best Idol?

11 comments:

Sally said...

Yes, America got it right. I agree, I would pay to see Adam in concert, but I would actually buy Kris' CD. I don't think I'd buy Adam's CD.

But I really think it's because the biggest population of voters has got to be tween and teen girls. And Kris is cute, sweet, non-threatening, perfect that demographic.

But Adam has a better voice.

Kristen said...

I didn't watch enough to know. But I did think that Gokey's votes all went to Kris, no suprise there.

I think Adam has an incredible voice, but I concur with Sally (it makes me feel intelligent to use the word "concur"), I would buy Kris' CD but probably not Adams. I liked Allison too.

diane said...

This coupled with the surprise win for Shawn Johnson on DWTS kind of restores my hope for the future of America. The clean cut married guy beat the flamboyant make-up guy.

I agree with Sally that I'd rather see Adam's concert but would buy Kris' CD. I think Adam will be a huge success. He has an iconic quality. I think his concerts will be reminiscent of Elton John concerts.

Hooray for family values and mainstream America. I couldn't be happier.

Anonymous said...

But Adam just tries to hard and has such a contrived look... ick. I would have voted for Kris had I voted.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Anonymous said...

Sally is right ... similarly I love circuses, but I don't idolize circus performers despite how talented and/or amazing they are.

In other words, America got it right, and frankly I'm amazed they did considering how biased and pro-Adam the judging was as soon as non-performance details about Adam became public. Adam's first song on Tuesday stunk beyond degree and nobody had the guts to come out and admit it.

Consistently Kris never sang a song that put him in the bottom three. Adam was in the bottom 2 when there was still 5 contestants. He sang a lot of stinkers. When the show went into overtime during his performance everyone with a tivo missed his performance and I'm sure the judges gave him a bye because he would have gone home then.

In short Adam obviously has the better voice and stage presence, but it's American Idol, not American Entertainer. An idol is something you worship or want to be like, and while I'd worship neither Kris or Adam I'd definitely prefer to be like Kris than Adam. Most Americans would.

That and I just love it when the judges get proved wrong and the will of America wins over the will of Hollywood. Serves them right ... they forget who put them there.

Anonymous said...

Oops, correction: I think it was Adam's second song (not his first) that I thought should have been judged more harshly (I got songs mixed up).

And more on the shows setup ... it is SO heavily engineered to favor or disfavor a certain contestant:

1) It wasn't coincidence that the song they wrote (last song to be performed on tuesday) was totally suited for Adam's voice and out of Kris's range. They knew that already.

2) Neither was it coincidence that before they narrowed it to the final 12 (go on tour) they broke everyone up into groups of 4 and put "Norman Gentle" against the 3 other most likely to win, who ended up in the final 3: Alison, Kris and Adam. Previously the judges left no doubt that they thought he was ruining the show and Simon said he "prayed for 6 hours" he wouldn't advance.

3) It wasn't coincidence that the theme a week ago was a hard rocker theme designed to eliminate Kris.

And STILL America got it right, despite all the engineering. Kudos for the USA.

Melissa said...

I want to know who anon is. :) I agree with them, totally! I wondered if because the show went over that one week and we all missed Adam if they just put him through-- I can almost see that being fair, I mean, if it had been Kris or Danny I would have thought it was, so I suppose it would be for Adam...

I think I'd buy Kris or Danny (although I haven't bought music since 1995), I would NEVER buy Allison or Adam. I hear enough screaming in the day, I don't need to turn it on on purpose!

My only disappointment was that Kris is married and there was no focus on his wife- at all, they let her on the stage for a flash at the end, but it was about his parents... which is good, but she could have shared it. I think that was about marketing.

Cumorah said...

I've been meaning to post my thoughts about this on my blog - but here they are on yours instead:
Of course, Adam is an amazing vocalist - and a riot to watch - but that's what it is, a riot, a racket, something you pay attention to because you're intrigued (like a car wreck) and then move on with your life. The music that he will end up choosing to create will NOT be mainstream music -- it will be reminiscent of all the 80's hairbands. Fun - but not super inspiring. I do think he is a stellar performer. But, truthfully, the only way he could have possibly won, is if Allison was pitted against him in the final two. (And, PS, I LOVE Allison. I don't think she ever really got a fair shake - of course, it's the tweenage girls voting - and they are much more likely to vote for the cute guy over a girl any day.)
But, with the way it ended up, with two, very clean cut, conservative guys vs. Adam, you absolutely knew that once either one of the G rated guys got booted off, all of their votes would be shifted over to the other little sweetie, and not to Adam.
Adam could have won it all if they kept Allison on. Rocker vs. Rocker. Unfortunately for Simon (who OBVIOUSLY wanted the win to go to Adam - he hadn't plotted that far down the road when he kept bashing on Allison week after week for not having enough personality, etc.) If only he pumped her up as much as he had Adam (who, did anybody EVER notice always had way better lighting & effects, and band performances than any of the other contestants? Totally biased producers.) then Rocker Adam may have stood a chance.
I am surprised that Kris made it this far in the competition - I thought he was going home weeks ago - but when it came down to the final two - no shocker at all. Congrats to Kris & his cute wife who must seriously be thinking "Holy cow, I just accidentally married a popstar!"
Luckily, the kid seems to be a truly, sincerely, humble, nice guy...so I hope it all works out for them.
My two cents.

Anonymous said...

Adam has better vocals and is a better entertainer; however Kris sings the type of music that is enjoyable in the kitchen.

Simon always talks about how it is a singing competition, but I think it is more of a sing-style competition. You can just have good vocals you have to sing the genre America is looking for this year. Whatever type of music America is in the mood for this year will determine the winner.

I agree with America.

Jenibelle said...

Love this. Even if in the grand scheme of things it has no bearing on my life at all. BUT...looking at who won I totally agree with Diane. It's America (or at least 100 million votes worth of America) at it's very best. Picking the underdog, picking the one with obvious values, picking the one that I will listen to in my car. I'm a happy camper.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I think I watched perhaps 1 3/4 episodes, so I have no opinion, but I read the blog. So this is a gumdrop ost, not chocolate.