Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Shoulder to Cry On

I am old enough to have lived through the 80's shoulder pads. I wore them. I wore them with blue eye shadow, BIG hair, and acid wash jeans. I was hip and trendy. It was horrible. I had a foam pair ( a little like falsies) that I wore with shirts that weren't even meant to have pads. They were expensive so I saved them until The Great Closet Cleaning of 2002.

Now they say shoulder pads are back!
Victoria is bringing back the shoulder pad and acid wash jean.


Here are a few reasons to bring back the shoulder pad:
  • Look like your favorite NFL player!
  • Provides protection to shoulders (think of all those painful shoulder accidents you've had!)
  • Look like a man=get paid like a man
  • Stimulate the economy with shoulder pad production!
  • Absorb spit-up! Spit-up stays on your shoulders - no more embarrassing spit-up stains on your chest.
  • Make your waist look small in comparison to your 36" shoulders!
  • Show off your head on a 36" shoulder/tray.
  • Look like Hilary Swank without the gym time.
Go ahead and indulge in the shoulder pad. Just please, please, please - stay away from the blue eye shadow!

12 comments:

Kristen said...

I love this post! Funny, I was at mom's house the other day and saw a pair of shoulder pads on her desk. Exactly like the ones in your picture. This means mom is very hip and trendy like Victoria Beckham. Way to go mom!

Minka said...

Eye shadow?!!
Mine is natural - blue, purple... depends on how much sleep I get. I've always had it and saved loads of money I would've spent on make up otherwise...

Minka said...

Eye shadow?!!
Mine is natural - blue, purple... depends on how much sleep I get. I've always had it and saved loads of money I would've spent on make up otherwise...

Minka said...

oops... how did that happen?

Annemarie said...

Ahh, yes. All great reasons to bring back that lovely/awful trend!?!

davers said...

Great post. Very funny. My Bossy big-shouldered sisters rock!

Emily said...

Sally and I remember one time when mom got really mad at us (very unusual of course, we were practically perfect children), and she was lecturing us in a very frustrated tone of voice...and Sally and I busted up laughing. Of course this was just unnerving...what were we laughing at!? One of mom's shoulder pad's had slipped down her chest and she had 3 boobs. It was pretty funny.

diane said...

Back in the day I was rockin' a pair of shoulder pads and directing the music at church. All of a sudden one of my shoulder pads goes flying out my sleeve. Nice.

wenderful said...

Oh please no shoulder pads. I just got rid of all my old ones. :)

Jen and Kent said...

Oh my goodness...Victoria looks awful!! That is one trend I say good riddens too.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I love shoulder pads. They make my waist seem smaller, and it looks like I'm standing up straight when I'm really slumping.

Anonymous said...

Victoria is just making a fool of herself with that look... totally ridiculous look.

DI
The Blue Ridge Gal