Can you relate to this story?

I'm 30 years old, and today--just today--I realized I've had it wrong all these years. Stay with me here. Today I was at Big Lots, and I saw something kind of like this
<----------------
And it reminded of me of this story.
When Robin had her first baby (sweet Hannah!) she hung in her nursery a tole painting that said:
"Love Bears All Things"
and I remember there being little teddy bears painted on it.
I thought, "Oh, it is cute because it is baby-ish, and teddy bears are cute." But I also, secretly, thought it was kind of stupid.
Of course, I was seeing the teddy bears, and therefore reading it like this:
Love bears, (notice the assumed comma) All things
I thought a lot about this as a 9 yr old. I wondered, "But does one really love bears? And if one does, is it accurate to assume that the love of All things will then follow?" And then I would conclude, "That's just stupid."
Maybe I need to read this book. Though mildly humorous sounding, I mostly think it would be boring to read now. I don't want to read a large book about comma use.Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things...
That's not stupid at all. It's beautiful. And today I just figured that out.
6 comments:
It was a cross stitch. It was huge and a ton of work. There were,like, 8 bears that I painstakingly stitched. The picture is darling and sitting in a box now because it is so 1990.
There is a lot we bear in the name of love. I can't bear the smell of Noah's room. I have been bearing it for a month now and today I can't bear it anymore. I am going to clean it for him today. Stinky. The only way I can bear to clean it is because I love a fresh smelling house. So, you see, love does bear all things.
I am interested in the Eats, Shoots and Leaves book too.
This is awesome. I love it.
Today I had Lily recite a scripture and Dave and I laughed how we both always wondered what a "shallmenknow" was. ;)
Robin, you need a nice Scentsy in Noah's room, at least while you clean it. The Clean Breeze one in my bathroom makes it BEARable.
Oh no, Emily. Not boring. Eats, Shoots, and Leaves is AWESOME!
I have to admit. I've never been a big fan of teddy bears used in place of other words. I've never been a big fans of teddy bears in general, though.
Have a beary nice day!
I am 29 and this just dawned on me last week. My mom had a similar thing hung in our house growing up and I didn't get it. At all. Last week it came as a revelation of sorts and I laughed out loud at myself. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I loved this post! Thank you for admitting to the rest of us so we know we're not alone.
This ranks right up there with mistaken song lyrics.
Reminds me of those church bulletin bloopers:
Don't let worry kill you off - let the Church help.
--------------------------
Miss Charlene Mason sang 'I will not pass this way again,' giving
obvious pleasure to the congregation.
--------------------------
For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a
nursery downstairs.
--------------------------
This evening at 7 PM there will be a hymn singing in the park across
from the Church. Bring a blanket and come prepared to sin.
Post a Comment