Sunday, April 5, 2009

Eggcellent

By Sally

Have you dyed your eggs yet? (No, that's not some code phrase for making sure you're still fertile.)

Last year I didn't get to the store on time. I had a lot going on. So instead of dyeing eggs with the trusty Paas kit, I improvised, and we painted the eggs with Crayola watercolors.



It was fun, easy, and creatively satisfying. Plus, the kids liked being able to identify which eggs they had painted. While I love traditionally dyed eggs, in beautiful pastels and some with crayon-technique wax resist, I really loved how our hand-painted watercolor eggs turned out.




This year I think we'll do both traditional eggs and painted eggs. Give the Easter Bunny a little thrill.


How do you do eggs?

8 comments:

Kristen said...

I like your eggs! That sounds funny.

We use the standard food coloring and vinegar for dying eggs. I love it cause you can get the palest blue to a deep ocean blue or the softest pinky orange to a vibrant halloween orange. Just by putting in more food coloring, or leaving the egg in longer. We mix them too so we get lots of colors. It is a bummer that there are only four of us, because I always want to dye about 6 dozen eggs...but really, um, who is going to eat them all?

Kristen said...

Oh yeah, and we drain them on a cookie cooling rack with layers of newspaper underneath, so you don't get that wierd puddle of dye where they are dripping.

Melissa said...

I love coloring eggs. We use whatever was on clearance last year--- 90% off is my friend.

We have eaten 3 dozen boiled eggs in the last 2 weeks. I wonder if we'll be over them before Easter?

Robin said...

We've always used Paas but I think everyone would get a kick out of water colors. Thanks for the great idea!

Melissa said...

Egg-cellent. These are Eggstra special. In fact, they are egg-straordinary. Eggsquisite in fact!

:)

Nicole said...

I love this idea! We don't do so well with the cups full of vinegar dye. My kids want to throw the eggs in , splashing dye everywhere and cracking eggs. I also just read about a cool technique for easter eggs. You cut an old silk tie into a piece large enough to wrap around a raw egg, tie it on the ends with rubber bands, and boil for 15 minutes. Somehow, the pattern from the tie is supposed to transfer onto the egg. I will be looking for some old mission ties of Rob's to try this.

Cathy said...

What a great idea Sally! Way less mess...every year my kids stain and ruin their clothes. I miss you!

Linda Austin Hart said...

"not some code phrase for making sure you're still fertile"

you are very funny!