Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Part 2: Win Chiska's Give-Away!


Leave a Comment by April 14th (next week) for a chance to win a cool, creative, doable crafty gift from Chiska!




Dear Bossy Readers,
Here is some more hands-on advice and experience from my awesome friend, Chiska. Check out the cool suggestions and links for fun, simple, creative projects (even some that require NO sewing), and LEAVE A COMMENT for a chance to win our
Give-Away!

How do you prioritize your life so that you have time for your creative pursuits?

Well honestly, I drop lots of balls. I have a great husband who tries to help me have the time. The other thing is just fitting it into the few minutes here and there.

I keep projects in bags (that zip close--I do have curious children, but it helps) that way I can grab them and work on them when the kids are happily playing and have a few minutes. My son is pretty used to hearing, “let me finish this or that and then I’ll read you that story, help you find that toy, or just come be with you.”

When I get excited about something that’s when it’s the easiest. It’s more difficult to say I want to make something and be motivated to do it, than it is to see something specific and think, “Hmm I want to make a felt sandwich because it looks cool.” Then once I get started and I get really excited because hey I can make this!


What have been some of your favorite projects, some of your nightmarish projects?

I think one of my most favorite was making moccasins for my husband. They were my very first pair of adult moc’s. I used some of my mom’s “toe patterns” to create a design for the beading on the toe. It was fun time with my Mom holding my hand through the process and they turned out! I also love them because I was making a mountain scene with a river and when you look at it upside down it looks like some kind of goofy guy with a mustache snorkeling. I love goofy stuff like that.

I also loved learning to paint silk scarves--another Mom teaching me thing. It was an amazing process and pretty quick results.

Me painting a scarf



Nightmarish:

I think nearly every project has a nightmarish stage in it. For Christmas this lat year I made “picnic” blankets--small rectangles really for my brother’s girlfriend’s kids. I started in September and was really excited it was going to be a pretty simple project. Then of course I creatively made it more complicated. I appliquéd some animals on one and quilted crowns on another. Anyway, I thought I’d be able to sew up the sides pretty easily and after the 4th or 5th time of trying to make it look nice I just got mad and quit. They were very gracious about them, but that’s when I decided that using the machine as a time saving device--or trying to hurry to get something done was a bad idea.

How far in advance do you start thinking about/working on handmade gifts before they have to be given?
I usually pick something to make for someone and whenever I get it done--they get it.

The exception to that is Christmas. On my side of the family we take turns at Christmas time so we only have one family/person each year (there are 6 living kids and my Mom and Dad). That makes it easier. I like to think about it way in advance so I’m less stressed right before Christmas and I have time to mail it. I also have a quirk that says that it’s never too late for a gift. For example I had one of my brother’s for Christmas year before last. He got his gift from me right around April Fools Day. It was a quilt that I’d been working on for him off and on for about 7 years. I’d seen the fabric and thought he’s like it. I was also determined to make it big as I’d made him several blankets and they were always too small. I overcompensated, but it turned out great!

There are things that are quick to make so you can do them last minute.

Have you made anything special for your children while pregnant? Or since they've been born?

You know it’s kind of sad, but I haven’t made much for my kids. When I was pregnant I was so tired (both times) that I haven’t done much for them. I did make a book of pictures of Gram for my little guy so He’d remember her (she passed away two summers ago) I hadn’t realized this until recently when I made a scarf for him and he was so excited he couldn’t stand it.

I do have plans for a wall quilt for my tiny girl and I have some dolls that are in process--they’re my first attempt at dolls and look rather alien like--I call them awake and asleep dolls. My Mom made something like it for me and my three sisters. Her Mom had made a doll for her and each of her sisters when they were small. When her Mom died her Dad took the dolls and kept them for them so they wouldn’t get ruined. Until her sister’s passed away they would get together periodically and have tea parties with the dolls. I also want to make them both ABC quilts modeled after one my Mom made for me when I was young. My oldest loves the alphabet.

What handmade objects did you give for Christmas last year (or recently)?

I’ve already told you about the two small “picnic” blankets. I also made a “hug” blanket for my brother’s girlfriend (when asked what she wanted she said a hug would be just fine--so that’s what she got) I’ve made a couple pairs of moccasins a baby pair and an Plains Indian Style (which was a first for me) for a special birthday for one of my nephews. I also made a laminated list with magnets on the back with all the birthdays in our family for each family. Handy little reference when you need to know whose birthday it is. Most recently I made a felt “lunch” with a couple of bean bags as a birthday gift. I also attempted a flax-filled heating pad--it should be up under the nightmare projects, I still don’t know what the receiver thought of the 7 pound awkward thing, but I have a pretty good idea that it wasn’t good. I hope he fed the flax to his chickens or something.

Last Question: Do you have any suggestions of handmade objects that a beginner would feel is doable, and not too expensive?

Oh my favorite question! But it begs some return questions--what do you have? What do you want to do?


Sewing Machine Projects:

Rice Bag Feet Warmer http://adayinthelifeofthechristensons.blogspot.com/2009/02/tutorialrice-bag-feet-warmer.html

Faux Baby Legs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/babyhopes/sets/72157594274454468/
On this one if it seems complicated keep trying--it’s really not.

Lunch Sack--I’m adding this here, but it works great with felt food for a gift.
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfmpage=section/classroom/sewprojects/lunchtote/lunchsack.html

Fabric beach balls
I haven’t tried these, but they look like they’d be fun so I’m adding them to the list.
http://www.purlbee.com/fabric-beach-balls/

Hand Sewing Projects:

Felt Food is amazing. This site is the best compilation I’ve found for how to info and patterns. Even the “high end” materials are relatively inexpensive and it’s just fun. For big kids, for little kids--you could make it for just about anybody.
http://www.keeperofthecheerios.com/2008/12/best-felt-food-patterns-from-around-web.html

Felt Sushi
http://hoogliart.wordpress.com/2007/08/08/felt-sushi-tutorial/

I thought this letters ideas was a cute one too--also felt related:
http://muffinsnmore.blogspot.com/2009/02/lovely-letters.html


No Sewing involved:


Button magnets: Buttons are so fun. I have an old cookie tin filled with buttons. I love running my fingers through them--that’s an idea too, make a button “box” for someone. Here’s an idea for magnets (among other things)
http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2009/03/button-it-up.html

A Journal--a book, not as hard it might sound.
http://www.jpgmag.com/stories/354

I recently saw a basket someone made from magazines by accordion folding each page and then wrapping them around each other (attaching them with a glue gun). You make a circle base and then overlap them slightly as you move them up to create the “walls”.

Look around your house and ask yourself what can I make with what’s around here?

What can I collect in the natural world?

Nature Printing:

On that point something that I just did recently as a preschool project was “nature printing” you can use felt tipped markers and/or an ink pad. You take a leaf--you’ll want a fairly malleable (not dried) one either color it (with the pens) or press it on the ink pad. Then stamp it onto paper. I used some dried Gingko leaves (strongly suggest if you have dried ones that you “re-hydrate” them) and markers and we had a blast! The fun thing with this one is that little kids and adults can do it. The results vary widely, but it’s fun for both.

Beads:
Something else I tried a couple years ago was making beads out of wood branches. I used willows, but I think any kind of tree would work. You snip the branches in whatever lengths you want your bead to be and then pound them through (lengthwise) with a nail about the girth of the hole you want. You can carve the bark if you want, I didn’t. I used a horse chestnut and some beads to make a present for a friend. I doubt she’ll ever wear it, but it was fun and she did like it.

If you know what you want to make, but don’t know how and don’t have anyone to ask then Google it. Chances are there’s someone on the web that will tell you how to make it.


Leave a Comment by April 14th (next week) for a chance to win a cool, creative, doable crafty gift from Chiska!

16 comments:

Jess said...

I love Chiska and think the comparison of her to Sarah Agnes Prine is perfect!

Sally said...

Those fabric beach balls are adorable. And I agree, it's never too late for a gift!

Robin said...

I like the button ideas! I have a jar of buttons and the magnets look like something I can handle.

Chiska said...

First I have to say with all this comparision to Agnes Prine I had to find out who she was. Thanks! That is quite an honor. I'm looking forward to finding that book and reading it.

I also wanted to add that I found another site that did the magazine bowl so for specific instructions look here:

http://abigcupoftea.blogspot.com/2008/07/recycled-magazine-bowl.html


The buttons are fun Robin! I wanted to make a million once I got started--especially since I cheated and got magnets with adhesive backs. They've survived my 3 year-old's need for constant play too.

AND (you thought it was just the interview that was wordy didn't you?!) I have to add on the give-away that there will also be included something already made--don't know about the super cool part, but it's always fun to get mail isn't it? :)

Emily said...

Is it legit if one of the Bossy Sister's happens to win the give-away? Because I'd love it! But perhaps that's unfair...

;-)

Chiska said...

I'm thinking readers are readers. :)

Kimberly said...

I never really thought of myself as creative, since I really stink when it comes to handmade crafts (i.e. sewing, crocheting, etc.) I've decided that I can be creative in other ways, though, like coming up with new more efficient ways to do processes at work. I'm still jealous to see some of the fun things other people make. I LOVE the felt food. I might try to whip out the needle and thread and try to make something like that for my niece for Christmas :-)

Lauren and Trevor said...

I am feeling very inspired to be creative! thanks for all the ideas and the links.
For Christmas this last year I made Christmas ornaments our of sea shells that I collected from a family vacation on the beach. I personalized them to each niece and nephew so that they could remember the trip. It was SO easy and the kids were all really excited about it.
Unfortunately, that's about as creative as I get! But, I love hearing and seeing new ideas - I let other people do the thinking and I just copy! Is that really fair? Oh well.
Thanks for sharing!
Lauren

Liz and Kevin said...

I have to comment on something Cheeky said;

"I used a horse chestnut and some beads to make a present for a friend. I doubt she’ll ever wear it, but it was fun and she did like it."

I USED TO wear it! In fact, I wore it on my birthday on a trip to historic Walker Ranch in Boulder County, CO, where my favorite (so far) photograph of me and my hubby was taken. I'm not sure you can SEE it in the photograph, but it was there.

I actually ended up taking the necklace apart and adding the handmade wood beads to my beloved horse's halter. The horse chestnut too!

Chiska doesn't realize this, but she is the coolest collector I know. I often wish we still lived close so I could touch all of her cool stuff, like I could when we lived in the same house!

She always helped me balance out my geeky scientist side!

Liz and Kevin said...

Oh, and in case the Chiska Prize is awarded randomly, I may just clog the blog with comments to up my odds (semi-evil chuckle)...

Salt H2O said...

I love the lunchsack! I have a hard enough time putting a real lunch together- there's no way I'd be able to compose a fabric one!

Melissa said...

Amazing creative ideas! I love buttons, but I just like to finger them, I don't even sew them back on very well...

Linda Austin Hart said...

My greatest nightmare craft is an afghan I started _ _(fill in the blanks, her birthday is tomorrow, April 11) years ago when I was pregnant with Sally. It was going to be big enough to fit a king size bed and I got about 10 % of it done before she was born. The reason it is my biggest nightmare is because I still have all that lovely yellow, white & gold yarn under my stairway & sometimes I dream about it.
I recently got it out thinking I would start on it again, because it would be lovely with my new colors in the living room, but I can't figure out that stitch. It was very easy, & done on a broomstick handle. Anyone want to show me how to finish it?

Celestia said...

WOW! i love the fabric lunch thats so cute!

Linda Austin Hart said...

The awake-asleep doll reminded me of one of my childhood dolls which I had completely forgotten about which would now be considered a politically incorrect. It was called a "topsy turvy" or upside-down doll.
One side was a plump-faced black mammy, wearing a turban. The other side was a white girl with yellow wringlets. My cousin had one that had 4 faces: red riding hood, the wolf, grandma & (I think)the woodsman.

Just for the heck of it I did a web search and found a few pages with these dolls. Here is a good one:
http://search.live.com/products/?q=topsy%20turvy%20doll&p1=%5bCommerceService+scenario%3d%22f%22%5d&wf=Commerce&FORM=HBRE

but no "mammy" dolls to be found except a vintage one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-12-Topsy-Turvy-Embrd-Linen-Faces-Colorful-Cstms_W0QQitemZ220329422627QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFolk_Art?hash=item220329422627&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A5

You can buy it today for only $125.00!!

Nicole said...

I am happy to know I am not the only one with projects that are not finished! I have been inspired to dig some of them out and maybe start something new. I love seeing the things really creative people make! It makes me think in a whole new direction.