Sunday, February 15, 2009

Having Fun...local style

By Sally

Do you like to have fun? So do I.

Cyndi knows that girls just want to have fun.
One way to have fun is to find great things to do in your community. I am a big fan of this kind of fun because it is close to home, I see people I know, my kids love being out and about, and it's generally safe and free.

The town we live in has events constantly. At least once a month there is a free outdoor concert, a music or art festival, a tree lighting, a movie on the town green, a fair at the library, or some other fun free community event. We go to as many as we can and almost all of the time we have fun. Here are some ideas on how to find local events:

1. Check your city's official website. There you'll find a calendar of events and most likely a parks and recreation department that offers classes and workshops for every age group. We take advantage of soccer, music and basketball programs through our city. I want to do yoga at the park but my schedule won't allow it. Most cities have great offerings through their parks and rec departments. Also check out the community library. We've done Mother Goose storytimes a zillion times, it's fun.

I've been to an art festival in Boise, ID that looks just like this.

2. Read the local paper. On the weekends there is generally a calendar of events in your and nearby cities. I read the local paper like this: cover story, first 2 pages, crime report (rubbernecker? me?), and calendar. I often end up tearing out the calendar, walking over to my own calendar, and writing all kinds of things to do. I don't have to do those things, but now they are on my calendar and if I want to I can. The newspaper calendar is great because it will include sporting events and events sponsored by cities, churches, schools, just about anyone.


Not the one we went to. The sandcastle festival we went to was in Oakland, CA, not really even on the beach. Most of the castles were made by amateurs. We had fun anyway.

3. Whatever your interests are, find local options for those interests and get on their email and mailing lists. We get monthly mailers from local concert venues, children's sports programs, and art studios. Someone mistakenly thinks we're athletic as we keep getting invitations for "fun runs" (an oxymoron if there ever was one). We have taken advantage of guided children's nature walks, free play days at children's gyms, sandcastle festivals, all kinds of fun stuff.


Newsflash, Old Bill: Running is not fun. It is good for you. The fun part is when you are done running. I met lots of nice people when I was training for a 1/2 marathon through a program I found in the local paper.

4. Ask people what they enjoy doing locally. Our neighbors across the street picked up on the fact that we like to explore. Now, every few weeks, they drop some awesome wisdom on us about a cool spot to check out. Sometimes it's an event, a park or scenic spot, a restaurant, doesn't matter, they know we are interested and they share their wealth of knowledge.


Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout.



5. Check out your local university/college/school district. University music departments often put on decent musicals, holiday concerts, and even free senior recitals.

6. Last but not least, don't overlook the web. I love Yelp for finding places to go and restaurants. Fodor's website has traveltalk forums where people post all kinds of great info about every locale. Thanks to Fodor's, we've recently been to a planetarium and a nature reserve. If you are lucky, you might even find a local parenting group online where people post reviews of things they've done with their families.

I bet our readers do this stuff all the time. How do you find out about local events and sights? If you keep your eyes open for fun things to do, you'll see they are all around. It's just a matter of getting everyone out the door! (And good luck with that!)

10 comments:

Melissa said...

This is an excellent post! We aren't very good at seeing what is in our "own backyard"... that or we aren't very good at getting out of our own backyard to see what is going on in town. I appreciate these ideas!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i loved gab's post. i have no sisters. i am envious of you guys.

Linda Austin Hart said...

No reason to ever get bored! I love the library events and the BSU & Morrison Center events. Saturday I found out about a free gem and rock show coming up. Life is fun.

Salt H2O said...

Sally,
You have an unfair advantage as there is substanically more fun (and diverse fun) available where you live!

Lisa-Marie said...

Art in the Park! That's the festival in Boise and it is WONDERFUl! I LOVED going as a kid and took my kiddos last year when we were in town!!! Now, I really want that painting in a print for my parents.

This was a great post! I always read our little newspaper's calendar of events. After all, we are "America's Family Community!" Too bad we have no public pool!

Kristen said...

Great ideas Sally! I love some of the standard things to do around here, "Art in the Park", "Tree Festival", "First Thursday", but I also love finding a little farmer's market when I'm out and about, or taking time to stop at a new locally owned boutique, or even just going down to the park and watching the geese on the pond.

I will try some of your tips!

wenderful said...

OK, I'll give it a shot but our tiny little town doesn't have much to offer. I may need to venture to the big city and make a day of it. Loved your interview with Gabi. :)

Melissa said...

I looked in our local paper.

We need to move to your town.

Sally said...

Yes! of course you need to move to my town.

Sorry that yours is a bummer. It's probably because of the time of year, maybe it will be better in the spring and summer?

Nortorious said...

I too love yelp. And I recently heard an acoustic version of 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' that rocked. From Shopaholic, I think.