My top 2 desires as a blogger are to: 1) make you laugh (that brings me great satisfaction) and 2) help create world peace (can't do it alone!). In today's post, I attempt #2 in a small way.
Recently my husband and I got away for a long weekend without the kids. The 7 hour drive was wonderful and strange and even dull in some ways. I found myself struggling with maintaining a thoughtful conversation for more than a few minutes at a time. My brain is trained to think in short minute increments--as I am constantly being interrupted by my 1 & 3 year old. It was so restful not having to crane my head and neck around, reaching far back in the car to pass out treats or pick up a dropped toy.
The whole weekend was wonderful, eating out (without the kids), conversations uninterrupted, unlimited in our flexibility to do what we want when we wanted. But it was also kind of strange, like that 7 hour drive to get there. It was too long away from the kids and not long enough.
It has made me think a lot lately about my relationships with my family members, my husband in particular, and my children individually.
A few mornings ago I found an article Joe had been reading, "The Functional Family" by James D. MacArthur, PhD (Director of BYU's Counseling and Career Center). This article was extremely relevant to things I've been meditating on lately, specifically strengthening my family and prioritizing family relationships.
{If you haven't read Sally's interview with Joy (yesterday's post), go read it now. It is wonderful, thought provoking, and I gained so many insights from Joy sharing her experience and wisdom.}
While there were so many different issues of importance brought up in the interview with Joy, these are two things stood out to me in Joy's interview answers (yesterday's post, go read it now!)--her and Scott's deliberate plans and actions to take care of their relationship with each other and their children during this great trial. She says: "I think our marriage has been strengthened by this experience. We have watched each other shoulder amazing burdens and overcome obstacles for each of us that amazed us."
But do we want to wait for burdens as an excuse/motivator to build our relationships? I don't think any one does, and I thought Joy said it so well: "Maybe I will think differently about good things coming from this experience when I look back many years from now, but right now it feels too raw and painful to see much positive. I thought at first when I answered I would write about how it has brought me closer to certain friends who have really been there for me. And while this is true, I would rather have gotten closer to them through a positive experience instead. "
I don't want to wait for a major trial to force me to think about this. When we are faced with an unusual amount of stress or strain in our life, we can choose how we are going to handle it, learn and grow from it. But, like Joy said, I would rather get closer to my husband and my children through positive experiences instead. If I can be spared a trial like Joy's, I hope God will spare me that--but I want that bonding and strengthening, and I think that in my search on how to do this, I am finding ways to foster and grow my relationship with my husband and my children through positive experiences.
Two points that Dr. MacArthur makes stand out to me:
1) In a functional family, parents intentionally strengthen their families.
2) In the functional family, relationships are of supreme importance.
Joy talked about how they decided to use their rainy-day fund to pay for the extra help they needed during this temporary time in their life. She talked about deliberately scheduled days so that time could be spent with each member of the family, but also about accepting help from others with her daughter so that her daughter's emotional needs are met.
Dr. MacArthur suggests some obvious and simple things for those of us who are not in crisis mode, and though they are obvious, I appreciated being reminded of these things (I like to read this list with each individual family member in mind):
- talk together
- play together
- one-on-one time together
- send letters, cards, or notes sharing your affection
- give compliments
- do something fun and unexpected
- say "I love you"
- listen to the other person
- ask him or her to help you on a project
- share personal feelings
He says, "All of these require that you personally get engaged in things the other person is doing...you might be surprised at how far-reaching your positive influence can be."
So many of you, readers, have been specific examples to me of these things.
My own mother and her husband make very conscious efforts to accommodate each others' needs, whether it's mom's need to travel to visit children, or Alan's need to work creatively with his instruments.
I've watched my parents-in-law go from a full house to an empty nest and all children married in a matter of 5 years. I see them putting a concerted effort into their marriage now that the children are grown and "out of the way". They've always been loving to each other, doing acts of service for each other, but I've noticed they've stepped it up a notch. It is beautiful.
My friend Hilary posts the most genuine posts of love for her children and husband, and a recent post about her husband's efforts to re-create a special memory of their high school romance. They've been a couple for a long time, and I can see how their love makes them want to do things for each other, but also how that cycle repeats, and the doing things for each other increases their love.
I see my sister Robin who has been married the longest of us Bossy Sisters, and how she and Roland put endless hours and efforts of love into their children, their marriage. One of the things I love most about R&R is their sense of humor to get through life and enjoy each other's company. One of the things I admire the most in their family is the absolute devotion they have to their children. When I read "The Functional Family" article, I can think of specific examples of how R&R have fulfilled every single category that Dr. MacArthur puts forth to have a loving, stable family. Anyone who knows them will attest to the love they have for each other.
This is to say that when life is stripped away to its bare minimal components, I want to see strong, loving relationships at its foundation. I want to know that my efforts were intentional. I want to be ready and make the same kind of decisions that I've seen you make everyday, and also in times of trauma and crisis to strengthen and uphold each other. I want to do that now with deliberate positive experiences that we create.
It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, I love my husband. I cannot imagine building a life with anyone else. Our children are precious to us, it almost makes me panic to think about teaching them and equipping them adequately for this life. But I think I'm learning that its not enough to just love, you have to do something about it--consistently. It is never ending and it can continue to grow.
{Now, hopefully my next post will make you laugh.}
19 comments:
Wow, I loved this post. This is excellent material and so very relevant for everyone, not just married couples and families. The list you posted is so good, I feel like I should print and laminate it and put in on my bathroom mirror! Maybe I will! (who am I kidding, it will never get laminated, but I'm going to print it right now!).
The sad truth is that 1. it is easy, after time, to take your spouse and even children for granted and to put those relationships on autopilot and 2. every family will experience hard times, crisis or tragedy at some point and to varying degrees. If your relationships are strong, you can get through the crisis so much better. If not, the crisis can tear you apart, or (I believe less often) pull you closer together.
Thanks for this excellent post, and thanks to Joe for inspiring you by reading that article.
Joe is so good about reading things like this and leaving them out on the table...hmmm...think he's trying to drop hints?
Sally, I had the same thought about that list, it is so good and easy to do. I think glancing at it once a day and letting it inspire me to do something small but deliberate with a family member has surprisingly noticable positive results.
Playing a game of go-fish in the afternoon with the kids goes a long way.
A love-note text to a spouse or loved one goes a long way too. I've been on the receiving end, and it makes a difference.
xo World Peace ox
Great post. It's so true... why wait for the crisis? Love and serve unconditionally NOW.
And I love the last pic -- noses w/ Ruby. Beautiful!
This post will def help create world peace. I bet you leaked a few tears when you wrote it, no?
I think Roland has been getting a lot of good pub lately. Time for me to start harping on him about a puppy.
You and Joe have a great family. And I know you really love his family. I think you are an excellent example of creating loving, sincere, reward relationships.
I love you.
great post! great pics.! what a great gal you are!
Emily, you are so awesome! I'm glad to know you. You inspire me to be a better person.
Bravo!
I'm going to write a love note to my husband right now.
And it's still funny for me to think of you and Joe as a couple (despite the many years you've been married) since I knew you both uncouply.
But WHO KNEW your hair was so long!? It's beautiful.
This post is the highlight of my day.
WOW! What a fantastic post! It belongs in the Ensign next to the mentioned article.
Thanks for the mention. It was fun to get your email about it today - I couldn't wait to see what your post was going to be about. I was touched that you mentioned me.
I loved your intro about your mind usually working in short segments - I hear you!
Your picture with Ruby is priceless! A lady the other day told me this is the best time of my life - I agree with her. This picture looks like one you will look back on in 20 years and say "That was the best time of my life."
Great article! Miss you!
Beautiful post. I agree with Hillary. This is the best time. I love sticky gooey kisses and frankly, I even love the sleepless nights. (Just ask Dave, I'm so hesitant to part with them and put Henry his own bed.)
Thanks for the food for thought Emily. We have been through tough times and I like to think we have come out stronger. I also love the reminder that when the littles are big and gone, we need to still know who each other is, and that starts today-- well, 13 years ago, but keeps going everyday.
This is such a great reminder of how important it is to be intentional about our relationships. Any effort we put in to creating loving, secrure, and joyful relationships comes back to us ten-fold.
I was talking with my Mom about her relationship to Phil (both in their 80s) and she said that she was going to give up a couple of her activities (a bridge group and a golf group) because so many of Phils friends are now gone and he can't do some of the activities he used to (the men's golf group is no longer fun for him)that he just seemed lonely. She felt he needed her to spend more time doing things with him. As you know they are very active already but now they do almost everything together.
The intentional relationships last forever!
Something this made me think about is that I keep learning over and over a lesson.
My little guy will get fussy and clingy right when I feel like I'm going to go crazy because I can't get anything done. I mean, I love it and I love him, but sometimes I just feel like his little whiney persistent cries will just have to wait until chore "x" is completed.
What I keep learning is that if I just stop and intentionally pick him up, sit down with a book and a drink for him, and spend 5 minutes together focused on an activity like reading, it satisfies him. Then I can get more done.
It is so simple, and it makes him happy, but also it makes me happy and I enjoy him when I make an effort, like prevention, to do this sort of thing with him. Then we're happy, we've spent deliberate time together, and I can have some time to get what I need to get done and he can have some alone play time.
I know it probably seems simple and obvious to lots of mothers, but for me, I keep learning this lesson over and over.
P.S. I sometimes wonder if my marriage is like this too. Like when my husband drives me nuts, maybe he's not so different from my little guy, you know?
Um. Is RJ smokin' a cig in that picture in front of the observatory? A little young and off the program, isn't she? Just for the record, I disapprove.
Thanks for the great post Emily. Have you read Dr. McArthur's book about raising happy kids? It's fantastic. He was a good friend of mine at BYU and we are still in touch.
It is easy to let circumstances and every day responsibilities govern what happens in life. It is nice to be reminded that we need to be proactive and have a plan to do what is right for ourselves and our relationships. You pointed out some very nice things, Em:)
Thanks Emily...I loved this post. I adore all of the pictures of your cute family, and I hope my husband and I can create a functional family like yours!
Post a Comment